Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmkkdx
    replied
    thanks for the response with questions. I have the stock cabin speakers (6x I think, 6.5" guessing?), that has an amp (still working properly) that has 150wx4 marking.

I haven't measured but guessing either a 10" or 12" sub (likely 10" but not sure), 4 tower speakers (guessing 6.5?) with 4 tweeters (1.5"?) ... problem amp ... 3 channel but not sure of the size, but guessing 75wx2 (tower) + 150wx1 (sub).

about the only time it gets run at ear bleed levels (to me) is when my wife is skiing and she wants to hear it 60' back at ~30 mph.

Leave a comment:

• swatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
    also, have any of you put in some type of breather port and/or fan to push/pull heat away from your amps?
    It’s aounds like you’re not hammering on your stereo where you would need that. If you were in party cover blasting tunes to the max or are pushing the limits on an amp for power then that would be a huge consideration.

Leave a comment:

• swatguy
    replied
    What are you trying to exactly power , and what do you have now exactly. They’re are plenty more choices to be discussed outside of JL and Memphis. Some more cost effective.

Going 5/6 channel really limits you on power and brand choices , as well as starts to get more expensive to gain the combo of power for each channel. Using a 2 amp solution might be the better route . It’s realy depends on what you have and what you’re trying to run . Quality D class Amps are cheap these days relative speaking and get you consistent power .

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    replied
    also, have any of you put in some type of breather port and/or fan to push/pull heat away from your amps?

Leave a comment:

• pmkkdx
    started a topic amplifier direction question

amplifier direction question

finally took the boat into a sound shop to have our issue trouble shot. forgive me as I am not an audio techy type ...

'04 X2 (205V) original problem was we lost our sub and tower speakers (4x), late last summer. sometimes the sub would work but rarely or the tower would work but neither worked well at the same time. We thought we might be having heat issues since everything is contained in front of the passenger seating area under the glove box. I believe this is all OEM with the exception of one amp we replaced about 8 years ago (think that's the one with issues)

They found one amp has issues with the RCA jacks (again, might be using the wrong terminology) with intermittent power. He finally used some kind of adapter from his phone to check each of the jacks to find which ones were going out.

our options would be to replace the amp that is going out/bad RCA with a 3 channel (JL Audio or Memphis or ???) to drive tower & sub ... but wouldn't we still possibly run into a heat issue with having 2 amps in that closed area?

the other option would be to go to a 5 channel (JL Audio or Memphis or ???) and only have the one amp that drives the sub, tower AND the speakers around the cabin.

we are not needing anything to blow out windows, just listening to moderate level of tunes while cruising but my wife enjoys listening to music while she slalom skies ...

pros & cons??? recommendations (keep it in layman's terms please)
Working...
X