Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my boat worth? 2000 X-Star 205 Wakeboard Edition

Hey guys,

I am trying to sell my X-Star, which I love, but is not being used.

I have it advertised here:
    https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100404

I have it priced at $23k currently and I based my ask on similar boats I saw on boat trader online.

My question is, what should I be asking for this? Am I asking too much or is it just too early in the season? I have not gotten a lot of response yet on my ad.

I know there are people who keep a keen eye on boat values, and I would appreciate some honest feedback here.
    Please don't reply with "I'll give you a thousand", funny yes, but helpful, not so much. :-)

Thanks for any help,
    Mike

Your 21k is in the ballpark. 17-21 seems to be the going rate.
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

I can tell you being a perspective buyer ,( looking at boats for two buddy’s). While your description says it’s clean your pictures of the interior say otherwise. It pretty dirty , especially in those bow shots. I’d scroll right through that right on to the next boat.

Your transmission is ZF Hurth not a power slot.

As far as price.

I think you’re listed about 2-3k high in my opinion the way it sits right now. That’s a pretty bare bones XStar in average shape as it sits in pics, no perfect pass and essentially no ballast as you mention there are no guarantees on the center ballast working . While it has tower speakers those in particular really add no value. The biggest draw back is being a 2000 you don’t get a 3 piece hatch , and the original zero flex tower is prone to failure .

The pros, It has the LTR 330, Tandem trailer , and is legendary performance wise.

My opinion ......list is 20k and sale price 17,500ish. . Perfect pass is gonna be 1k- 1500, ballast will be 1500-2k to add , those are the essentials. Now your boat is pushing 25k range (if you stick with the 23k you currently have ) to compete in an entire new league of boats you can get turn key with all those already installed and a better looking tower with a more convenient 3 piece hatch. Input over 1000hrs on my 2000 Xstar before I sold it so am very familiar with he boat.
      CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
      2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
      2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
      99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
      88 2001 Nautique

Comment

Yeah cool I appreciate the feedback.
        I'll give it a good cleaning and take new pictures.
        I'm pretty sure it's a power slot, but I'll go grab a picture of the transmission ID plate to make sure.
        Dropped the price to 21k.

Any other feedback is appreciated. Thanks. Honest feedback is always welcome.

Comment

Just to reiterate swatguy, when I look at your sale ad and pics the first things I notice are the boat is not clean like you say, the amount of rock chips on the trailer, mailbox numbers, one missing vent cover and the other is discolored, and the lack of engine compartment pics.

If you're looking to maximize your sale price I'd suggest spending a day cleaning the boat inside and out, polish up some of the eye sores, and then take better pics of the boat outside with good lighting. Also list it on only inboards and some of the inboard FB groups. With the way the boat sits right now I'd say you're in the 17-18k range, if you spend a day working on it then I'd say you jump into the 19-20k range.

Also I'd probably take out the blurb that the boat has been stored inside MOST of it's life. That's not going to help unless it's been inside ALL of it's life.

Comment

It's early in the season. Probably, the only people that are really actively looking are going to be ones that are looking for a really good deal. At 21k, yours is not a really good deal. Like most said it's probably on the high end.

If someone knows what is valued in a wakeboard boat, then yours is unfortunately lacking quite a few key options. Integrated ballast (I know the center is plumbed for it, but that's only the ski locker and you don't guarantee the condition for some reason), Perfect pass, no tower racks, fyi your tower isn't really fold-able in today's standards, you can rotate it but it still sticks up quite a bit. I would also doubt about the transmission make unless it has been replaced. These typically have zf-hurths. The original upholstery is also prone to failure as well.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as "mean". I am just trying to give some perspective on the needs of the boat in today's wake and surfing world. It's a great boat. I have the same one. I got mine 3 years ago under 15k, but it the vinyl was in worse shape and didn't have all the stuff mentioned above (which was alot of work to install on my own)

Comment

Pull the boat outside... get some photos that aren't blocked by the garage.... get photos without the boat cover on.... these photos look like you're going at your sale with little effort. If you want to get some additional $$ for it - I agree with those above - you'll need to spend an entire day prepping and detailing it.... or hire it out..... Also - that 2000 year - versus the 2001 year is a bit of a challenge with that single rear hatch - I think that boat could sell for 21k in MN / but not sure what the market is for that in the Rocky Mountains areas.... good luck

current:
              2006 Mastercraft X15

past:
              2006 Mastercraft X-1
              1986 Mastercraft Skier 19
              1978 Ski Tique
              1987 Mastercraft ProStar

Comment

Thanks for all the input, seriously appreciated.

I'm thinking of doing all the detail / cleanup work suggested. Taking new pictures. Then dropping the price down to $20k.

Do the hours, at 470 have any influence on price? Seems like low hours would be an incentive to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by mikelleen View Post

I'm thinking of doing all the detail / cleanup work suggested. Taking new pictures. Then dropping the price down to $20k.

Do the hours, at 470 have any influence on price? Seems like low hours would be an incentive to buy?
                  Low hours are definitely a plus but they'll only carry the incentive to buy so far. I'd rather have a meticulously maintained boat with a few more hours on it than one that has low hours but looks neglected (not saying that this is the case with yours).
                  2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                  2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                  Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
                  Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has said. If it had perfect pass and integrated ballast, it would definitely generate more interest. Its all about presentation and first impressions and that ad didn't have either. Not at that asking price. Good news is, you are approaching the best time of year to sell! Clean that vinyl up and get some better pics (preferably in the sunlight) and relist it. You may get closer to your asking price. GLWS.

Comment

Low Hours are only good if it has been used fairly regularly with good maintenance. If you used the boat at least 20 hours a year and did yearly maintenance on it, then it's good. If it has sat without use for longer periods of time, then low hours are not good.

Comment

I echo what others have said. When people say it’s clean and pictures say otherwise all the rest of the claims get viewed through a jundiced eye. Most of us have been through a “it’s really clean” buying trip only to see that clean means way different things to different people. Even the shots around the dash and clarion contoller show it’s pretty dirty. Also suggest way more pics of hull, stern, fully uncovered, keel, and especially the engine compartment (motor should be clean and shiney).

As also said, the value difference between a 2000 and 2001 is a decent jump because there were so many upgrades (way better looking tower, hatch, dash, etc that made them feel like a way more luxurious boat. Around norcal, that’s a $15k boat as it sits. Cleaned, waxed, and buffed to like new may get you $18k. Maybe a little more once the boating season starts. Hop this helps.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback

The finish of the boat is quite good, but it has been in a dusty garage and I did not clean up the boat before I took the pictures.
                          So will definitely get a thorough detailing and then a repost.
                          I'm ok dropping the price to market value. However I had seen some of these in the 23k asking price range on boat trader. Which is what I based my asking price on.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback

The finish of the boat is quite good, but it has been in a dusty garage and I did not clean up the boat before I took the pictures.
                            So will definitely get a thorough detailing and then a repost.
                            I'm ok dropping the price to market value. However I had seen some of these in the 23k asking price range on boat trader. Which is what I based my asking price on.
                            Just something to add as someone who just bought a boat. Your asking price may in fact be fair based on what other boats are listed at, but if you want to sale it at that price, you need to stand out. If I go on boat trader and see 5 boats that are priced close, well then I'm going to start looking at the pictures, hours, etc. more closely. As has already been said multiple times, your pictures do you no favors and you have a few "flags" in your description for me (no tears but you list a few, have ballast but haven't verified condition).

Comment

So I did look further and noted the 2001 and newer does have some more value. I was not aware of the differences in the rear deck arraingment.
                              I am going to pull my ad, do some serious detailing, then re-list at a more appropriate price.
                              Thanks for the honest constructive criticism, seriously, you guys have made me aware of some things I was not aware of, which is why I started the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X