No announcement yet.

Actuator issues new Xstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replaced one of mine last year, and was told MC wouldnt cover under warranty? Havent seen any bulletin for replacement...

Comment

Boats have had actuators for decades. Is there something unique about the ones they are using on new wake boats or have they always been like this?
      2008 40th Xstar
      2006 ProStar 197 - sold
      1992 Ski Nautique
      1969 Glastron

Comment

Just called my dealer about this to schedule the actuator service. Apparently there are a few other service bulletins that need to be done along with it.
        '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
        (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
        '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
        www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by moleson10 View Post
          Boats have had actuators for decades. Is there something unique about the ones they are using on new wake boats or have they always been like this?
          They have always been like the same.
          But limited competition in manufacturing actuators for recreational use and limited engineering to improve the Lenco actuators... manufacturing in China...
          the problems are known.

The only thing that changes are the amount of ballast in the wakeboardscene.
          Don't think it is the problem, but it doesn't help either.

The changes from the 'old' towards the 'new' one seems it is only the inside gearing.
          They used 3 gears and now use 5 gears to increase power on the actuator.

I have tested the actuators and a new one has a full load pressure of 340kg (sorry, dont know the lbs). However, still the water is the main problem. bad seals, weak electric motors and grease is an important factor in the actuators. Since you can not change grease inside the spindle and water is coming in.. when testing a used actuator that has been under the boat 1 season. the pressure drops to 255 kg. also speed changes with 1 or 2 seconds.

the current actuator does not have the quality you want on your 100K+ boat. But MC probably doesn't see another option for now.

As for the '14 and '18 (not exactly sure) Xstar, the angle on the gen2 is different then other models. I think that MC uses the actuator not really in the position and angle that it is supposed to work. That increases problems with the outgoing shaft and followed by more water coming in.

Also, we have a discussion going on (and please feel free to share your opinion) about the vacuum/pressure built when moving the actuator underwater, When you have damaged seal (by, don't know how it is called in the US; in the water that grows on the side of your boat for example) or a moving shaft outside spec in lineair direction. It will suck a bit of water in when moving. All old actuators have a lot of rust in it.

And another tip, Lenco has a 3-year warranty on the actuator, or at least it says on the box.

Comment

Hi,

i had zero issues from the point i open and inspect the actuators every winter.
            I just open, regrease, Check origins and clean inside if rust build up due water intrusion. I also readjust the gears with washers cause they were rubbing on the housing and have been poorly adjusted by factory. My actuators run much quiter after that, but still all 3 are different in speed. The vacuum built up is in my opinion a rumor and will not allow water to enter if the seals are fine. Main problem are those 2 orings on the shaft which have only a small plastic ring for prestressing. If this cap is slightly loose the orings will not seal properly and leak water in on the shaft.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Comment

The dealer was out to work on the service bulletins for my '18 XT22 today. The service for the actuators was actually replacing a seal on the electrical connection. Apparently MC decided there wasn't enough contact area in the connection and having more contact would help the actuators function better.
              '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
              (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
              '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
              www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

I am intrigued by the regular maintenance you do on the Lenco actuators and it sounds like it has prevented premature failure of them on your boat. Can you be more specific about what preventative measures you do each season to help them run better and avoid failure?

My neighbor is having to replace all 3 actuators on his 2014 X25 and I am hoping to avoid a similar fate with my 2018 Star.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jackpine View Post
                  I am intrigued by the regular maintenance you do on the Lenco actuators and it sounds like it has prevented premature failure of them on your boat. Can you be more specific about what preventative measures you do each season to help them run better and avoid failure?

My neighbor is having to replace all 3 actuators on his 2014 X25 and I am hoping to avoid a similar fate with my 2018 Star.

Thank you!
                  At this point, I think MC has redesigned the actuators...they are made by a different company, and are all billet - no more plastic. The new ones are retrofittable to older model years (I believe down to 2013) and if you go in to get actuators replaced under warranty - they will swap out to this new style.

I don't know how many of these are in-stock or in circulation, but if they are common, you may just want to let your Lenco's go.
                  The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

Originally posted by maniacmikes View Post
                    At this point, I think MC has redesigned the actuators...they are made by a different company, and are all billet - no more plastic. The new ones are retrofittable to older model years (I believe down to 2013) and if you go in to get actuators replaced under warranty - they will swap out to this new style.

I don't know how many of these are in-stock or in circulation, but if they are common, you may just want to let your Lenco's go.

I’d be very interested in this! What’s the cost? Part number etc?

We replaced both port and starboard actuators on our new boat last year. Expect they will all fail this summer once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, I read about the new actuators on other TT forums and saw them on the 2021’s at the dealer I bought my boat from this spring.

Sadly the local dealer said the new actuators aren’t available yet - they only stock the Lenco ones and seem to be in very limited supply.

My neighbor found the same Lenco model on Amazon for $140 less than the dealer (w/ prime). We’ll see how long those last on his boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

These actuators have been an ongoing thing since season one (2014 X46) for me, despite all the marketing and tech chitchat I've heard and read on this NOTHING has changed. I've heard from more then one professional that they go through more then five (!) pieces a season on their school boats, go figure.
                        There have been tons of words about changes, improvements, new actuators, other systems, written on here or said elsewere but so for all has been vaporware.
                        I stack one actuator in my boat and one in my garage together with some sealant and gloves to save MY day.
                        If You Find Too Many Capitals You Can Keep Them...I'm German

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
                          There have been tons of words about changes, improvements, new actuators, other systems, written on here or said elsewere but so for all has been vaporware.
                          There is a completely new, all billet aluminum actuator that is no longer made by Lenco now. It's definitely not vaporware when I have installed several of them now......

Comment

New Billet actuator
                            Attached Files

Comment

I don’t want to know what those cost out of warranty...

Comment

Originally posted by Queentucky View Post
                                New Billet actuator
                                Hopefully they work as good as they look.

Comment

Working...
                                X