Upgrade to tandem axle x2 trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to tandem axle x2 trailer

If I purchase an x2 with a single axle trailer and want to upgrade to a tandem where is a good place to look for a used tandem trailer. How much price difference typically on them? And how difficult would it be to resell the single axle. Is there places that do trade ins on trailers?

I'm in the process of pricing on 2 axle trailers right now for my boat. I first got a price on a trailer from Mastercraft through my dealer. I then reached out to a boatmate dealer. I was shocked that they were not that much different in price ($700). I'm waiting for one more aftermarket trailer price but will then likely just go with the trailer through mastercraft.

Comment

I looked a long time ago, and the market for used trailers is such that, as a buyer, you're out of luck. There are a lot of people who need trailers (due to, for example, salt water destroying theirs), new trailers are expensive, and the supply of used trailers is small (how many people destroy their boat and so have a spare trailer to sell?) (especially true if you want a trailer that's specific to your boat model). So, any used trailers that come up for sale get sold quickly.

I came close to buying a boat+trailer last year, with the intention of swapping trailers and then reselling the boat+trailer, as the cheapest way to get a used tandem-axle trailer. What a PITA though.

Good luck,
      /frank
      1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Unfortunately a lot of people when buying a used boat tend to fixate on the boat and ignore the trailer when in fact a good trailer can be 10% - 20% of the cost of a 7 - 10 year old used boat if you need to purchase a new one. It's not until they're either stuck on the side of the road or they get the price of a delivered replacement trailer that the value of getting a good trailer when buying a used boat sinks in. In all actuality I have yet to look at a used boat that was more than 5 years old that didn't need some kind of attention. Tires and brake fluid with some level of rust/paint work needed top out the list.

The other thing I saw a few years back was a Nautique dealer on a lake by me that was selling boats without trailers. The idea was that he would sell the boat with rack storage and no trailer. This seemed to work well until about 5 years later when owners either wanted out of boating or wanted to upgrade. Now all of a sudden they were stuck either buying a new trailer or dropping their price disproportionately to potential buyers in order to sell their boats. Any leverage they may have had striking a good package deal at the time of purchase was gone and the dealer knew they had them in a difficult position.

I've helped numerous friends buy boats and have walked them away from what could have been a good purchase had it not been for a mismatched, rusted out, neglected or poorly maintained trailer. Also beware of falling into a similar trap of buying a junk used trailer. While new trailers are significant in price repairing a junk trailer or one that is rusting from the inside out can be near as expensive or worse. If you are going to buy used you need to really asses if you're capable of doing any maintenance/repairs yourself. If so great, if not better start looking for a shop now and understand what any repairs are going to cost. Finding a good shop that understands boat trailers can be difficult to find and will want to be paid for their services.

Comment

The trailer is very important for most of us. There isnt much of a used market so you'll probably have to order a new one. The real question here is does any one need a single axle x2 trailer. The good news is if you're patient and can store the extra trailer you can eventually sell it for a good price since used ones are rare. You could also have have a shop modify your trailer but it won't be cheap to do it properly with brakes and fenders etc.
          I'm an Indy Skiers member. Contact me about course skiing in Indianapolis.

Comment

I bought my boat used without a trailer. The owner in Florida kept it on lift he didn't have a trailer for it. I ended up finding a new trailer at Carolina MasterCraft. It was in 2010 and the trailer was a new 2004 never registered.

Check some of the MC dealers to see if any are around.

Comment

$5000 CDN for an X2 tandem trailer. No affiliation
              https://www.kijiji.ca/v-remorque-bat...ationFlag=true

Comment

A used double axle in good shape is rare. Usually, it'll be in the same shape as the boat it came from.

You can occasionally, find one around a private lake. Usually, these trailers have been left outside, in rain, snow, and sun. (So repairs, can be extensive) I recently picked up a used double, for $1200, and putting $1300 in labor and steel to get it usable. So, I'll be in for, about $2500. Plus, tires.

Might get $1000-1200 for my single. Lowest new double, I found, was low 4K.

If you trailer a lot. (I drive 130 miles each way) Doubles are the ticket. If for short hauls, a single is fine.
                sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

I know this post was from a while ago. If you bought a tandem trailer I would be interested in your single

Comment

Sorry, long since sold. Actually, it was for a Malibu, so would be the best fit.
                    sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Oh okay thanks man

Comment

Looking for a trailer for my BIL. He lost his trailer to the bottom of a high elevation lake in Idaho (don't ask). It's supposed to freeze hard this week up there. Anyone know of a trailer (preferably in the West) to buy, rent, borrow.....?
                        It's for his 2015 Nautique Sport 200 (~20-21')

Comment

Working...
                        X