Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tow with a front wheel drive SUV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tow with a front wheel drive SUV?

First off let me explain, I’m not towing the MC with a front wheel drive SUV.
    I’ve got a 3/4 ton diesel for that. This is to tow two Sea-Doos. They’re big 3 seat 4 strokes plus the weight of the trailer. I’d say about 2500 lbs.

We have a 2015 Cadillac SRX. It’s their midsize SUV/crossover. However, it is front wheel drive.
    It’s got a 3.6 L V6 with 300+ horsepower. I don’t think the engine is going to have any trouble. I’ve just never towed with a front wheel drive vehicle. Anybody have any concerns with this?

I think a few people here tow X2s with a Honda Pilot and another with a ridgeline. I’d imagine you’ll be fine.
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Launched a 17ft bayliner with a late 90s Chrysler minivan once, neither were mine. Didn’t die.

Comment

What does the owner’s manual say about towing?

Comment

Towing short haul may be fine but I would be leery of snot slick ramps. Would not want to end up on YouTube with a wet Cadillac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With what you are towing, I would not have any reservations at all.

Comment

Should be no problem. I have a friend that regularly tows a lot of weight with a front wheel drive SUV. Is it a lease?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
                What does the owner’s manual say about towing?
                With the tow package 3500lbs
                Without the tow package 2500lbs

Ours does “not” have the tow package. I called Cadillac corporate and they told me the only difference is the hitch and a trans cooler. I plan on adding both.

This will just be a once in a while thing.

Comment

back in the day we had a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan, at that time rated to tow 4000 lbs. I was a newbie and pretty naive and only guessed the towed weight. I found out years later the boat and trailer I had at that time weighed 4200 lbs. The van was underpowered, but we were lucky and didn't have any trouble. I never had a problem pulling the boat out of the water, even with FWD. I thought the whole rig went down the road pretty smoothly, didn't have problems with the tail wagging the dog.

If you get your tranny cooler installed you won't have trouble hauling 2500 lbs.

Comment

I tow my 197 with a tower using a Town & Country Van never an issue I towed it from Delaware to CT on it's first trip

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun R View Post
                      Launched a 17ft bayliner with a late 90s Chrysler minivan once, neither were mine. Didn’t die.
                      Lol “nobody died”. I have towed a couple times and said this. May have been a 25k trailer begins a 3/4 ton
                      2019 Xstar

Comment

We used to tow our old 3000lb boat with a front wheel drive. There were never problems with capacity of the vehicle to pull it as it was rated at 3500lbs.

The only time I got into trouble was trying to pull the boat out on a steep wet ramp that had sand on it too. The wheels spun on the slick surface. We ended up begging a 4wd to pull the boat and trailer out to the parking lot, and we took it from there. That ramp was at a nice lake near home- we ended up not being able to go there any more... which was a shame and led to the eventual replacement of the fwd with a 4wd.

So you may be limited in the ramps you can use

Comment

Honestly with how light the seadoo's feel on a trailer I would think you would be fine. And even when you add the upgraded trans cooler you should be even better. How far are you towing? When you fill those seadoo's with gas you can tell the extra weight as well vs when they are empty or half full.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

you will be 100% fine. id pull two waverunners with my cobalt if the need arised. Seriously two on a trailer isn't heavy at all.

Comment

If the tongue weight isn't excessive, the front end shouldn't be too light for good control. I would make sure to put the cover and anything that doesn't need to be in the boat inside of the towing vehicle, as far forward as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X