X-Star Ballast Upgrade 2017-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FourForty,
    Awesome write up. Thanks for tracking that down.
    I have one question.
    Stock setup has two vents. One from the hard tank and one from the stock bag. When we add a second locker bag, we need to vent that as well. Therefore we now have three vents in the system. Is there a free vent port in the exterior gunnel or are you tying in the new bag vent to the hard tank vent via a “Y” above the check valve?

It is step 3 and 4 below that I am confused on.

You will need-
    - 2018 XStar gen2 bags
    - 2X 1 1/2" NPT male to 1 1/2" hose barb 90 degree fittings. MC part number 301062
    - 10' of 1 1/2" ballast hose
    - 2X 1 1/2" spring check valves with extremely low "crack pressure". I used Raritan part number 503629CHV112.
    - 4 flowrite quick connect 90s
    - several hose clamps for 1 1/2" hose
    - a bit of patience for the stbd stock vent hose.

1- Open up your coffin seats and locate the spare port towards the rear. Remove the port plug.
    2- Install the new 90 degree fittings in place of the plug.
    3- Port side- disconnect hard tank vent hose and trim to an appropriate length for good venting of the bag. Install quick connect.
    4- use a short length of hose from the port hard tank vent to the new check valve, and tie to the new bag vent. MAKE SURE the check valve arrow is pointing towards the hard tank.
    5- stbd side. It is an extreme pain to unhook this stock hard tank vent, so I left it in place. I disconnected the hose from the through hull near the helm (accessed from behind stbd bow seat and access panel) and I installed the check valve there. Once again, make sure the arrow is pointing back towards the tank.
    6- I then ran a new hose for the bag vent, and connected it back to the through hull, and trimmed to length at the bag end, and then installed the quick connect.
    7- if you have a heater, you have to use something as a spacer between your hot tubes and seat base. If you don't, I'm guessing the bag can force them up hard enough to break them. I used some solid plastic and an epoxy adhesive to support them.

Comment

You don’t have to have to have a through-hull for the hard tank vent. Use the existing hard tank vent through-hull for the new bag vent, and fasten the new hard tank vent with check valve up into the gunnel. Just make sure it is installed with the check valve higher than the height of the new bag.

You could add another through hull if you wanted, or use a Y, but it’s not necessary. As long you have a spring closed check valve like the one I posted, it won’t leak anything.

Comment

My dealer ordered the bags and the 2X 1 1/2" NPT male to 1 1/2" hose barb 90 degree fittings. MC part number 301062. Found everything else online except the Flow-rite quick connect 90’s listed below. Does anyone know where to get these? I assume they are the 1 1/2 fittings. I attached a pic of what I believe they are below.

You will need-
        - 2018 XStar gen2 bags
        - 2X 1 1/2" NPT male to 1 1/2" hose barb 90 degree fittings. MC part number 301062
        - 10' of 1 1/2" ballast hose
        - 2X 1 1/2" spring check valves with extremely low "crack pressure". I used Raritan part number 503629CHV112.
        - 4 flowrite quick connect 90s
        - several hose clamps for 1 1/2" hose
        Attached Files

Comment

Just ordered the parts for this, pretty psyched! Although the dealer was adamant that the 450’s won’t fit in the midship seats! I mentioned they don’t fill all the way… any leads on where to pick up the check valves? I saw some at a hardware store for sump pump applications…

Comment

Originally posted by jackpine View Post
            Just ordered the parts for this, pretty psyched! Although the dealer was adamant that the 450’s won’t fit in the midship seats! I mentioned they don’t fill all the way… any leads on where to pick up the check valves? I saw some at a hardware store for sump pump applications…
            it’s been a little while since I ordered, but this should be the one you want.

https://marinepartssource.com/trudes...xoCxNsQAvD_BwE

Comment

Just found this thread and thought I would tag onto this to see if anyone else has any insight they could share. We are considering upgrading the starboard overflow bags on our 2019 Xstar to the +900 pound bags from wakemakers. We primarily surf and my son likes to compare how the wave is with a large crew on board to that when we are light with people on the boat. Not to mention we have some on board that want to ride in the bow while surfing, and he tries to get them to shift to the rear to increase the weight in the back and increase the steepness of the wake. I see here that some of you have upgraded to these larger bags relocated the OEM bags to other locations. I am curious as to the best setup for the best outcome.

Did you find that you had to add weight in the bow or helm area when you added the larger sacs in the lockers?
              Did you need to install the divider panel support rails from wakemakers?
              What did you use set the new ballast fill and empty times to on the profile?
              Did you need to adjust the tab settings for mellow and steep waves to get the best wave dialed in?
              Anything else we should be considering if we upgrade?

Thanks for the help!
              2019 Xstar
              2002 X30 ~ sold

Comment

I am working on this upgrade thanks to Fourfourty’s instructions here. I think this thread is a bit different than the one you are proposing.

Although I am still dialing in my setup, the experts on TT have indicated this gen XStar rides best if you add 50% of added weight near the bow instead of just slamming the stern.

So if you read through the thread, you can accomplish the same goal by adding piggy back bags under the coffin and starboard seats.

There are others on TT that have done the stern bag upgrade you are suggesting but you might have to search a bit to find those threads. Also don’t forget to compensate with lead nearer the front (or pass through) or I’ve heard there may be limited return when just adding weight in stern.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am planning to put about 300lbs of lead in the bow under the front seats. After reading this thread I was have also thinking about plumbing the OEM bags as described. Are you planning to add the support rails to the engine divider panels? Thanks again for the response.
                  2019 Xstar
                  2002 X30 ~ sold

Comment

Working...
                  X