Drain Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Plug

Alright everyone. Don’t make fun of me. I had a 2002 Prostar with a brass drain plug. Which was great. You only screwed it in half way until it was tight. I have now a 2015 x30 with these new plastic nylon plugs. My question do you screw these plastic plugs all the way down to the o ring? I just don’t want to cross thread the plug. Thanks in advance.

Drain Plug

Screw it down all the way. Light to moderate effort only. Spray 303 or other available lube on it to keep it clean and moving easy to avoid cross thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm also extremely freaked out about cross-threading my plastic plug.

I'm assuming M/C switched to plastic plugs from brass because of cost. Can I get a brass one instead? If so, from where and what size? If not, where can I get a back up plastic plug, and what size?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, they switched due to cost. If you want to replace it with brass, you'll have to replace the female fitting as well, which is fastened with the 3M 5200 I believe. I keep a replacement male plug "just in case".
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I realize this is an old thread, but I recently lost the center nylon drain plug - it was literally blown out of the boat trailering to the launch as it sat in the storage area near the throttle.

Trying to replace it with the original has been interesting. I believe it is MC Part number 202009 which is the standard nylon T handle plug with about a 6" extension to fit the boat. However, I've been to two dealers that indicate this is a special order part. One even said he didn't believe it is being manufactured?!

Is this no longer the standard issue drain plug for MC X-Series boats???

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/dr...244042c1&_ss=r

Guess this wouldn't have happened if it was brass... gonna have to store it in the glove compartment from now on... Trouble is, I like to see it so I know if it hasn't been installed before launching, have it handy to show the invasive species patrols, etc.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jackpine; 05-17-2022, 12:33 PM.

Comment

$64 for a nylon drain plug?
            “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

This is the plug I have as a spare. Shorter handle, but still can reach the center drain plug to install and remove.

https://mcpartsdepot.com/collections...ly-nylon-06-08
              2022 XSTARS
              2020 X22
              2019 XT22
              2017 XT20

Comment

There are two types of plugs, tapered thread and square thread with an O-Ring. The tapered threads seal by the nature of two tapered shapes squeezing together \\ ___// and do not technically require any sealant to do so - you might be familiar with this type of fitting from say natural gas or water pipes in your house. The pipe dope or teflon tape you might add to these types of fittings isn't actually the sealant its just a lubricant to help them turn more degrees tighter - basically if you have 2 tapered fittings and you force them to turn exactly 1080 degrees together the amount of sealing you have is the same. But it is far easier to turn them 1080 degrees with teflon tape or pipe dope in the threads than it is to turn them dry where they will gall and stick.

Then the second type is a plain thread with an O-Ring to create the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by MCOR View Post
                  This is the plug I have as a spare. Shorter handle, but still can reach the center drain plug to install and remove.

https://mcpartsdepot.com/collections...ly-nylon-06-08
                  Thanks MCOR I just bought this shorter drain plug because two MC Dealers didn't have anything else to fit my boat

I don't have T-Rex arms, but dang the center plug in a current model XStar is a long reach!

Comment

it sure is!
                    2022 XSTARS
                    2020 X22
                    2019 XT22
                    2017 XT20

Comment

Working...
                    X