Hit A Tire with the MC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit A Tire with the MC

No, really. Middle of the lake. A really big, really deep lake. Do tires float?

Just heading home after dinner, 900ish with dark setting in. Dove in expecting to clear some wood, but an entire steel radial tire had been cut by the prop and wrapped around it. Tried to dive under and cut it clear with a serrated knife but the steel wiring made that impossible, even so, the prop was a mess too.

We were fortunately only a little over a mile from the house and a neighbor thankfully towed us into home port. Will get a better look in the light of day, but the entire tire is still hanging below the water line with the MC up in the lift. I have a spare prop for such an occasion but not sure she’ll be lucky enough to have missed damaging the rest of the running gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not what you expect in the middle of the lake for sure. Hopefully your strut and alignment are still good.

Comment

We've been dodging garbage all day in South Texas but never saw anything like this. Hopefully a new prop will have you back up and running.
      2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
      2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
      Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
      Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

What a bummer. Sorry to hear it.
        There may be better ways to relax than being on a boat...I just haven't found one yet!

Comment

You're actually lucky, we had a friend with a 40'+ cruiser hit a submerged truck tire with the rim. The tire/rim got jammed between the hull and the prop. After a diver was unable to remove it they had to haul the boat to remove it then had to repair the damage to the hull bottom, the prop shaft, the strut and the prop. He was about 75 miles from his home port. Basically lost the season waiting for repair.

Glad to hear yours looks to only like a prop.

Comment

With all the flooding in Kansas some of the campsites by our home lake are under water. The marina went around physically counting the picnic tables to account for them all after someone hit one out on the lake. Yikes!

Comment

Very sorry ....would have never guessed anyone would see a tire in a lake

Comment

We've been on Lake Santeetlah for the week and have seen tons of floating obstacles. The other night I fished a propane tank out of the water around sunset. The worst we get on our home lake is the occasional pool noodle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. That’s horrible...I would have never expected a tire floating/submerged on the lake...
                  2017 XT23 6000 GDI

Comment

You can see the radial bands near the center of the prop.

In addition to the shaft, strut, and alignment, do I need to worry about the trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That's crazy, hope the damage isn't too bad/expensive. On a good note, from the looks of your dock picture, it looks like you're on a nice clear lake

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Hit A Tire with the MC

Good news, despite being in the lift managed to get the 31” OR tire cut off with a few Dremel discs without electrocuting myself, got the replacement prop on, and ran her lightly to 3k rpm with no issues.

Failed using a bolt cutter, failed with an aircraft wire cutter, finally went to the dremel to get her cut off. By the time it was free of the tire bead, the lake got a bit of light chop so balancing on an inflatable water matt got a bit bumpy and sank the old prop and a 1 & 1/16” socket to the lake, should be able to get them on a calm morning.

Still a bit paranoid about the running gear, will just retrieve her and take her for a full deep dive by Stancraft MC.

Tired but grateful it wasn’t worse. Tire sank at the dock but had her tied off in case. Either it had an air pocket floating it or had come up with a moderate wind? Must be gazillion to one odds to thread this needle on a 43 mile long, 1,100’ deep lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Freakin crazy!
                          With an expensive boat like yours, I'd still start an insurance claim while the issue is fresh. Even if you don't have to call on the claim, it might be hard to prove months down the road if you did discover other damage.

Tires sink. Rubber is more dense than water. Not a chance it floated to the middle of the lake with a trapped air pocket. Must've had something tied to it that floated it.
                          Wow. Would have been my last thought too.
                          '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Wow, I’ve been hitting stuff all season but nothing like that. Storms all week put plenty of wood to run over in the lake . It’s a 2019 and I have a heart attack every time I hear it.
                            Closest call last year was a piling floating vertically about 6 inches under water , probably would have sunk us if I hadn’t spotted it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2012 GT205
                            2011 X25
                            2019 NXT22
                            2020 NXT20

Comment

Glad you got it out and hope everything is vibration free!
                              1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Working...
                              X