Large Gas Can/Caddy Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Gas Can/Caddy Recommendations

Hey everyone, we moved ourselves and another boat into lifts on the lake. We're planning on using gas cans to fuel our boats and were wondering if anyone had any recommendations. We'll have to wheel across a yard to some stone stairs, so not insanely large. Looking to get two of whatever y'all recommend.
    Tim
    2021 Lone Star MasterBash
    Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
    1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
    1995 MC ProStar 205
    ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

These are the best

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fue.../dp/B003TTV972

Comment

We use multiple 5 or 6 gallon cans and then use a shaker siphon hose to fill the boats. Bigger cans get heavy and can be hard to move when full.

Comment

I live up in a small town in the hills with super expensive gas, so I recently bought two "Sure-Cans" at 5 gallons each to ferry gas home from the big town down the hill at about a buck a gallon cheaper. As far as gas cans are concerned, these are the best I have come across. They are 45-50bucks each but very worth it. they make a 2.5 gallon size as well.
        Those may be too small for you needs but I think they are great. I don't know if they make a larger version though. Lowes sells them and Amazon as well.

Comment

We've got three 5 gallon cans, but were looking in the 14-15 gallon range recently for the rest. Any recommendations around that size?
          Tim
          2021 Lone Star MasterBash
          Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
          1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
          1995 MC ProStar 205
          ISO MC 205V/XStar/X2/X1

Comment

Thought I would share my VP Race Can experience with you.....

First I love the cans and we even got fuel resistant hose so we can do the vacuum trick to transfer the fuel to the tank. Works great, very happy.

COSTCO not so much. I went there over the weekend and an older woman policing the pumps came over and told me I couldn't fill my cans there. Said they had to be DOT approved. Also seemed to be thoroughly delighted to lay that on me as she smirked about it and told me to hit the road.

Went back the next day and filled them up, no problems. Pretty sure it was someone's grandma enjoying the power of her brand new bright yellow construction safety vest.

Comment

Used the gas service on the lake. Once. $5/gal gas is not my thing.

I've tried the 10 and 15 gallon Flo-Fast systems in the past. The setup works great but they're just too cumbersome to haul in and out of the truck and wheel down to the dock. If you're looking for larger cans though, these work.

Now we use six 6gal Midwest Gas cans. They're cheap, and they work (beware the VP Racing jugs...I've found they split and leak at the seam on the bottom). I ditch the worthless CARB compliant spouts. I line the six cans up on the dock, and use a battery powered Tera Pump. It drains each can in about 2 min. I don't have to move them at all. My girls carry the cans down to the dock, I pump them, and in about 10-15 minutes I have 36 gallons of 91 Octane non-oxy gas on board.
              1985 Skier (long gone but remembered forever)
              2017 XT23 (sold)
              2018 G21 (sold)
              2021 SANTE 210
              ...and a Whaler 150 Super Sport!

Comment

I purchased a 15 gallon Gas Caddy from West Marine several years ago. If I had to do it again, I would go with 5 gallon cans. Some what of a pain to get it out of my truck, roll it through the grass and onto my pier. It is gravity fed (some have hand pumps) so if the water is higher than normal, I have to set it on a block.

Comment

Myself and two of my friends have all purchased Flow-Fast cans with a hand crank pump. There are several different sizes cans you can get, but the pump is sized for that specific can due to the length of the tube to suck fuel out of the can with the pump. We love them. I have two 15 gallon cans with cart. One of my friends has the 10.5 gallon (4 of them) with cart and the other has two 15 gallon cans and uses a standard dolly to move them around. They can be a bit heavy when full but it is really nice not lifting gas cans to fill the boat any more. They are a bit on the pricey side but from a convenience stand point I think they are worth it. Just have to keep an eye on different places to get a deal on them. I paid $269 for my 15 gallon with cart and pump. Haven't seen anything close to that price since.

https://flofast.com/

Comment

At the dock I use 4x 5 gallon gas cans and a shaker siphon. With boats that have 2 fuel inlets you can unload 20 gallons of gas in 10 minutes.
                    Larger containers are more difficult to lug around, move in/out of the truck, etc. Keep in mind 15 gallons in a wheeled container is over 100lbs.
                    '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
                    (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
                    '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
                    www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

I use a 14 gal flow n go.

Pro:1 container, no spillage,

Cons: a little slow, hose crimps

I put the boat as low as it can go on the lift, prop the can on a couple of cinder blocks and far enough away from the gas hole so it stays in and auto-fills.

Cheapest price on the flow n go:
                      https://www.ebay.com/p/Scepter-06792...SABEgLaMPD_BwE
                      The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                        Thought I would share my VP Race Can experience with you.....

First I love the cans and we even got fuel resistant hose so we can do the vacuum trick to transfer the fuel to the tank. Works great, very happy.

COSTCO not so much. I went there over the weekend and an older woman policing the pumps came over and told me I couldn't fill my cans there. Said they had to be DOT approved. Also seemed to be thoroughly delighted to lay that on me as she smirked about it and told me to hit the road.

Went back the next day and filled them up, no problems. Pretty sure it was someone's grandma enjoying the power of her brand new bright yellow construction safety vest.

I really like the VP gas can but when you try to unscrew the top it such a biotch. If you have a remedy for this I’m all ears. I need a pipe wrench to unscrew.
                        If for some reason you start to believe you are a person with influence, just try ordering somebody else's dog around.

Comment

I use Flo-Fast professional dual 7.5 gal system. Each can holds 8 gal so they're not to hard to handle at the gas station. I can put 16 gal in my boat in 2-3 min. I have the 12" wheels on the cart so its super easy to move especially if you have any steps. Great product.
                          https://flofast.com/product/flo-fast...gallon-system/

Comment

Have 7-8 standard 5 gal cans.
                            use shaker siphon.
                            it works, its cheap and I have to carry down 118 vertical steps to dock.
                            Bailey
                            '02 X-9
                            Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

I use Flo-Fast professional dual 7.5 gal system. Each can holds 8 gal so they're not to hard to handle at the gas station. I can put 16 gal in my boat in 2-3 min. I have the 12" wheels on the cart so its super easy to move especially if you have any steps. Great product.
                              https://flofast.com/product/flo-fast...gallon-system/

Comment

Working...
                              X