Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken driveshaft?

2015 X20 Surf Edition

I was surfing this morning, wife was driving, boat suddenly stops. I swim over and she says when she puts it in gear it just revs the engine and doesn’t move. I thought we lost the prop. We were in deep, wide open water, didn’t hit anything.

We get towed over to our dock and I get under the boat. I can feel that the prop and nut are tight on the shaft but they’ve slid down and are touching the rudder.

We put it on the trailer to confirm what happened and the weekend is officially done. Needless to say I’ll be taking it to the dealership this week.

Anyone ever see something like this?

Thanks to Mike (MastercraftKA) for giving me a tug to the boat ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Troy

yes, on my 81 though. Looks like the shaft left the coupling or the coupling came loose also
    1981 MasterCraft
    19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
    Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

Broken driveshaft?

Yep your drive shaft is snapped.

I had the same thing happen to my X23 and it was right at the coupler.

My engine had come out of alignment due to settlement of the engine mounts. It’s imperative that you check the engine alignment yearly. With all that torque, a few degrees is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
        Yep your drive shaft is snapped.

I had the same thing happen to my X23 and it was right at the coupler.

My engine had come out of alignment due to settlement of the engine mounts. It’s imperative that you check the engine alignment yearly. With all that torque, a few degrees is a big deal.

Since I'm the 3rd owner, this won't be covered by warranty. Any idea on what type of $$ I'm looking at?
        Troy

Comment

Damn. Surprised that the prop didn’t get into the rudder at all.

BTW, beautiful boat. Pretty sure yours is the one Aric sent me some pics of last week.

Comment

I think driveshafts are only a few hundred dollars (or at least for the mid 2000 era boats I think they were) if you have the patience to realign it yourself. At least it didn't nautique itself. Don't their driveshafts usually fall straight out of the bottom of the boat, prop and all, sinking to the bottom of the lake? Maybe I'm thinking about MBs.
            2006 MasterCraft XStar
            2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
            2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

Originally posted by JasterCraft View Post
              2015 X20 Surf Edition

I was surfing this morning, wife was driving, boat suddenly stops. I swim over and she says when she puts it in gear it just revs the engine and doesn’t move. I thought we lost the prop. We were in deep, wide open water, didn’t hit anything.

We get towed over to our dock and I get under the boat. I can feel that the prop and nut are tight on the shaft but they’ve slid down and are touching the rudder.

We put it on the trailer to confirm what happened and the weekend is officially done. Needless to say I’ll be taking it to the dealership this week.

Anyone ever see something like this?

Thanks to Mike (MastercraftKA) for giving me a tug to the boat ramp.

Dam thats a pretty XT23!
              2017 XT23

2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
              Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Comment

Since I'm the 3rd owner, this won't be covered by warranty. Any idea on what type of $$ I'm looking at?

In my situation, Ilmor actually denied the warranty claim because they said the Dealer didn’t have any record of verifying the engine alignment during service and I have my dealer service the boat every 50 hours while in warranty.

Luckily, my dealer is top notch and covered the parts and labor because the ball was dropped somewhere. They have a customer for life because of this situation.

But had it not been cover, if I removed correctly, parts and marble was around $1000. That included a shaft, coupled ring, engine alignment and labor.

Sorry your having to deal with this. Hopefully it gets fixed quick.

Can you see on the transmission where it snapped?

Comment

Approximately $500 for the A.R.E. shaft and coupler. A fairly straight forward install and alignment. New cutlass bearings while you're there (or not).
                  93 190
                  (safe click)

Comment

If it broke at the coupler the same as in Mastercraftdave's photo, the alignment was off at the front. If it had been a mis-aligned strut, it wouldn't stress it the same way- it would cause a slight bend (minor mis-alignment) or it would break close to the strut (major mis-alignment).

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                      Dam thats a pretty XT23!

Yeah, that guy was a champ ;-)

Troy

Comment

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post

Can you see on the transmission where it snapped?

Once it was apparent what happened, I chose to open this rather than the engine cover.

Troy

Comment

Once it was apparent what happened, I chose to open this rather than the engine cover.

Ha...Good choice!
                          2017 XT23 6000 GDI

Comment

It's possible the nut on the prop shaft at the coupler has come off and the shaft has just come out of the coupler.
                            -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                              It's possible the nut on the prop shaft at the coupler has come off and the shaft has just come out of the coupler.
                              Yes and no. Most couplers have a lock screw on the nut now. And it would have made a heck of a racket loosing the keyway and nut

Comment

Working...
                              X