Gas Powered Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Powered Generators

So I did a search and could not find any threads specific to generators… So new thread…

After our recent week of power outages, and the frequency of the power outages, it got me to thinking that we should have some backup power source rather than being stuck in the 70s with candles, and flashlights… I have done some research on whole house generators, but spending 5K plus installation is simply not an option at this time.

Here are my requirements:

1. Run primary fridge
    2. Maybe run 2nd fridge or garage deep freezer
    3. Plug in a few lamps
    4. Plug in the TV

5. RUN THE BOAT LIFT!!!!!! (should be easy I would think)

We have propane stove and grill so cooking would be easy. Restricted without oven/microwave, but still possible without the generator. .

So I wanted to hear from you guys on what you own as far as a gas powered generator. Starting watts (2500 for an average fridge?), running watts, etc. What do you run on your generator at the same time? I am looking for a generator that I could run the fridge, 3-4 lamps and the TV at the same time.

Thanks in Advance guys
    The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

My previous home lost power as often as I fart. I had a 5500 watt that ran the fridge, the beer fridge and some lights. We had a gas fireplace that actually heated the entire house (spray foamed the entire house) Seems like it was $500.00. Downside was it is only 110v so no well, for showers and no ac either.

Comment

5500W is good. I can basically run whole house with it: two fridges, two smaller furnaces (nat gas - so only the blower really) and any lights, just not all at same time.

We don’t run the microwave (or maybe we do?), electric oven and AC units. It won’t start the AC compressors.

I do ensure the fridges don’t kick in at same time upon startup.

If you have electric hot water and furnace you may want more power.

Get a transfer switch and just power the whole house and turn breakers off for what you don’t want to run and then don’t be an idiot.

Then lower boat and ski.....

Comment

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
        5500W is good. I can basically run whole house with it: two fridges, two smaller furnaces (nat gas - so only the blower really) and any lights, just not all at same time.

We don’t run the microwave (or maybe we do?), electric oven and AC units. It won’t start the AC compressors.

I do ensure the fridges don’t kick in at same time upon startup.

If you have electric hot water and furnace you may want more power.

Get a transfer switch and just power the whole house and turn breakers off for what you don’t want to run and then don’t be an idiot.

Then lower boat and ski.....
        This will work. Keep in mind you want a generator with an inverter if you are going to run computers, TV's etc. these days. I've run a ton of lights, TV's, stereos with as little as a 3K 120V Yamaha inverter generator. I'm just selective as to what I power at the same time.
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I have a 8250/5500 generator and a 6 breaker transfer switch that has gotten my family through two hurricanes. This setup transfers power from the generator to 6 breakers in my house breaker box that are most used during a storm. I have two frigs, microwave, temporary window AC, TV, lights, ceiling fans and misc stuff going all at once. The transfer switch is a great additional so you don't have extension cords running around the house and its simple to install and about $300. A large gas tank on the generator is a must so you don't have to wake up in middle of night and add gas to a hot generator.

Comment

If your house is on propane, consider a LP fueled unit. You won't have fuel issues due to stale or contaminated gasoline. Check out Generac.
            Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

Honda EB5000. Owned one for 3 years. Super long run time, autochoke makes it so easy to start. Can't say enough good things about Honda generators and products in general. Worth the premium price.

However for as many power outages that you have I'd spend 7-8k and do a whole house propane backup (will need bigger propane tank too). Charge $50 sets until you save up enough!
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
                Honda EB5000. Owned one for 3 years. Super long run time, autochoke makes it so easy to start. Can't say enough good things about Honda generators and products in general. Worth the premium price.

However for as many power outages that you have I'd spend 7-8k and do a whole house propane backup (will need bigger propane tank too). Charge $50 sets until you save up enough!
                Honda EB6500 here. Inherited from my dad. It's a great generator and solid honda engine - mine has to be 20 years old, starts right up every time. I love Honda products in general. However my good buddy has a Harbor Freight Predator (chinese honda knock off) 8750 that's never missed a beat either, and he's been without power way more often than I have and he paid like $650 for it. 5000W (or more) should take care of what you're talking about. As mentioned a transfer switch is a nice thing to have, better than running extension cords all over. Lots of generator options out there, just don't go looking right before a major storm! Best way to ensure you won't lose power is to buy a generator

Comment

i set my house up to run the well/septic/and a few lights plus fridge. stove is natural gas.

Comment

Keep extra quart of oil on hand for long power outages. I found that around here, during power outage SAE30 is nowhere to be found.... not that most places stock a lot of it anyway.

Comment

I would not buy anything smaller than a 5000w. I’ve installed many manual transfer switch and generator panels for people to plug a regular gas powered unit into. I’d also recommend electric start. We have a 6500w electric start Generac for our boat club. It gets used 2x a year at the most. Usually 1x a year pre season to power a welder for our docks. It sits all year on a trickle charger and fires right up. Nobody has ever done any maintenance on it and we have probably had it almost 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AKralk83 View Post
                        I’d also recommend electric start.
                        I agree, pull starting is for peasants.

Electric start auto-choke FTW
                        Kevin

Comment

Looking through replies. A few of these generators are over $2K. At that point I would just go full home backup for 5, like a generac. I think I would prefer to stay under 1K, and it sounds like a 5000 Watt would do it.

Dumb question maybe, why do you need an inverter to run a TV? Sorry I don't know squat about electricity.
                          The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                            Looking through replies. A few of these generators are over $2K. At that point I would just go full home backup for 5, like a generac. I think I would prefer to stay under 1K, and it sounds like a 5000 Watt would do it.

Dumb question maybe, why do you need an inverter to run a TV? Sorry I don't know squat about electricity.
                            As mentioned my friends Predator 8750 has worked flawlessly. $649.99 from HF. Solid reviews online too. https://www.harborfreight.com/8750-W...III-63085.html
                            I have a Toro mower with a Toro brand “Chonda” engine. Starts on 1 or 2 pulls every time. If I needed a generator for work, etc I’d spend the money on another Honda but for occasional home use, I’d look at of the lower price options

Comment

I believe you can get an electric start Generac for around 1k. Get rid of the electric start and it will be cheaper. The reason for an inverter style generator to watch tv or use other electronics is the way they regulate power. Your standard “job site” style generator has dirty power. I’ve lost cordless batteries and chargers from a standard generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X