X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rgardjr1
    replied
    Originally posted by the legend View Post
    We need more youth learning these invaluable skills, IMOP!
    We had a machine shop located across the street from my plant. The owner Bob decided at 75 years old that he was not interested in continuing to operate the shop. He tried for a couple of years to get a younger machinist in to take over the business and to continue to service his existing customers. He just couldn't find anyone to do it. It got to the point where he was going to basically give away the equipment in his shop to make it as financially easy as possible to get someone to take it over. He was unable to find anyone. I really miss the convenience of being able to walk across the street and get pretty much anything fixed or a new piece made.

Leave a comment:

• the legend
    replied
    Exactly !

Leave a comment:

• JimN
    replied
    Originally posted by the legend View Post
    I agree 100%. We still employ a "old timely" machinist who is without doubt a necessity in any legit shop. Machines are great but our "Fred" is unmatched ! We need more youth learning these invaluable skills, IMOP!
    We need more yout's learning to use a damn hammer. I have been watching YouTube videos of people forging knives, some in very primitive ways. One guy who's 80 years old made a Bowie knife in three hours, start to finish with finished riveted scales, scabbard and sharpened/honed. He spun it on the work table and it was well-balanced. No drawings, no measurements, just using his eye and knowing what he needed to do. Schools really screwed up by ending their shop programs, but parents are just as guilty.

Leave a comment:

• the legend
    replied
    Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
    My BIL bought a couple CNC machines a few years back and watching them carve out a part is truly amazing. He recently bought out an "old timey" machine shop. As cool as the CNCs are, watching these highly skilled machinists work is equally and perhaps more impressive. Non of the high speed glitz but the results for one off parts are a work of hand crafted art.
    I agree 100%. We still employ a "old timely" machinist who is without doubt a necessity in any legit shop. Machines are great but our "Fred" is unmatched ! We need more youth learning these invaluable skills, IMOP!

Leave a comment:

• bturner2
    replied
    My BIL bought a couple CNC machines a few years back and watching them carve out a part is truly amazing. He recently bought out an "old timey" machine shop. As cool as the CNCs are, watching these highly skilled machinists work is equally and perhaps more impressive. Non of the high speed glitz but the results for one off parts are a work of hand crafted art.

Leave a comment:

• the legend
    started a topic GereMarie- newest video

GereMarie- newest video

Check out GereMarie's latest video at www.geremarie.com. Scroll down a bit and you will see the video !
Working...
X