2018 X23 - Boat listing to one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 X23 - Boat listing to one side

I recently had a software issue that caused the ballast to act up (wasn't filling or emptying correctly), but the software issue should now be resolved. Now the boat seems to be listing to the port side. It's fairly noticeable, but I'm not sure if the issue is ballast related or not.

I've attached images of the port and starboard side. The starboard side is about 6-8 inches higher than the port side.

The ballast bags in the stern are empty so they're not causing any issues, but I'm not sure about the center tank in the hull. Is the center tank just one tank or split somehow into two? If the tank is split, I'm wondering if one side just isn't being pumped out properly, but if it's one, I don't see why the water in the tank would be uneven. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Had same issue on my 2017 X-23. It's definitely your port side ballast tank is still holding water. Issue is probably a bad impeller. I had luck in filling everything up and then emptying again when I couldn't get it to empty by just running the manual override. Hard to believe the impeller's need to be changed as often as they same to need it.

Comment

Where's the manual override for the ballast? Once I press the button on the touch screen to empty the ballast, my screen shows them go to 0, but at that point if there's more water in the center tank I don't see a way to force the tank to empty any more. Is the manual override the hard buttons on the dash? I've never used them before.

Hopefully it's an impeller issue as that's a pretty easy fix.

Comment

Press the physical “Empty” buttons on the right panel. These are the buttons directly below the tabs. Pressing the empty button once will give you a 30 second override. Press as many times as you see fit. Works the same for filling too!

Comment

Good to know. I'll try that and look into the impeller replacement as well. Thanks!

Comment

My X23 does this as well and its due to all the storage being on the Port side. The batteries are also on the port side which is why they put the ice chest on the starboard side to help compensate for that.

I carry a spare prop on my boat and have put that on the starboard side and this has help the issue.

Comment

I'll add a second vote that it's a ballast impeller. I had exactly the same problem this summer. You have 2 ballast pumps for each side. One that is readily accessible and one behind a cover in the ballast bag compartment. You can physically feel the covers vibrate and cool off when water is flowing through them when you are filling. You can feel the accessible pumps for both sides and compare to try to guess whether that is your problem or you have to go after the one behind the cover. The one behind the cover is more tricky to replace. I found it easier to just unscrew the pump from the hull and then take the cover off than trying to take the cover off with the pump still installed. Or just let your dealer handle it.

Comment

I just replaced all of mine. Easy to replace. Remove all the covers and press the override to verify the pump is working if all are working then its the impeller. You can also put it on the lift and or a trailer press override and see/listen if water pours out of the bottom of the boat.

i bought mine at wakemakers. It was the cheapest place I found and got them next day.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaLuvGravity View Post
                  I'll add a second vote that it's a ballast impeller. I had exactly the same problem this summer. You have 2 ballast pumps for each side. One that is readily accessible and one behind a cover in the ballast bag compartment. You can physically feel the covers vibrate and cool off when water is flowing through them when you are filling. You can feel the accessible pumps for both sides and compare to try to guess whether that is your problem or you have to go after the one behind the cover. The one behind the cover is more tricky to replace. I found it easier to just unscrew the pump from the hull and then take the cover off than trying to take the cover off with the pump still installed. Or just let your dealer handle it.

Where exactly? I may have to replace mine on that one as well....I’ve replaced the visible one twice... found that the orange impellers work better than the green so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by btriantos View Post
                    Where exactly? I may have to replace mine on that one as well....I’ve replaced the visible one twice... found that the orange impellers work better than the green so far
                    Aft wall of the compartment that holds the soft ballast bag. 2-3 screws is all that holds that in if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaLuvGravity View Post
                      Aft wall of the compartment that holds the soft ballast bag. 2-3 screws is all that holds that in if I remember right.
                      That is correct.

Are you keeping the boat in the water? On a lift?

When I put my boat on my lift I double check my tanks by manual activation. You can hear the water rush out when the boat is out of the water.

My 18 X23 does not list at all. Ive heard the battery discussion before and it makes sense but it doesn't cause anything like that on mine.

Side question...…

What are you doing with those straps? Is that your cover? Are you criss crossing the buckles?

Comment

Originally posted by uplandbird View Post
                        My 18 X23 does not list at all. Ive heard the battery discussion before and it makes sense but it doesn't cause anything like that on mine.

Side question...…

What are you doing with those straps? Is that your cover? Are you criss crossing the buckles?
                        The storage and placement of things on the boat has not changed, so it's a new issue related to the ballast it sounds like.

The straps in my photo are part of my mooring cover.

Comment

I assume it's safe to check the ballast impellers while the boat is in the water? Water should only be running through the pump when it's activated correct?

Comment

Originally posted by yomotha View Post
                            I assume it's safe to check the ballast impellers while the boat is in the water? Water should only be running through the pump when it's activated correct?
                            Yes as they are above the waterline. You can always follow the inlet hose to the hull and flip the valve for extra piece of mind.

Comment

Re-read the section on the ballast tanks in the manual and it states that the X23 has 4 tanks that make up the center ballast... so I guess I'm looking at one or two impellers that might need replacement on the port side.

Comment

Working...
                              X