Looking for reasons to get 2020 NXT vs Axis A22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for reasons to get 2020 NXT vs Axis A22

A friend of mine wants to get a surf boat. He got a good offer on a 2020 Axis A22 M5Di from a local dealer.

Since I'm a MC guy myself, I would like him to by a MC as well.

I'm looking for reasons to buy 2020 NXT 6.0 MPI instead of 2020 A22 M5Di (those are the only engine options we have), that I could use to make tha argument for the MC.

Things that spring to mind:

- longer, 7 years engine warranty (5 on Axis)
    - a bit more powerful engine (380 vs 360hp, 407 vs 400ft-lb)
    - stronger brand name / resale value

Anything else like fuel economy, surf wake, fit&finish etc ?

Dealer support would be similar (very good). MC would be a bit more.

Hello.

I have been involved with both companies for a long time. I’d stick with the MC. The NXT model has much better fit and finish. Wiring harness and drive trane is much better. The surf wake is very similar and the speed control on the MC is more robust. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captain Dustin Beatty
    Marco Island, Florida
    www.WakeboardFL.com
    2011 X25 Power Tower Ilmor
    2007 CSX 220ss MCX Ballast,Tower Pkg.
    1992 PS190 351 w/ 1:1
    sigpic

Comment

Fit and finish is better in the nxt, also the surf wave is more adjustable and should get better fuel in the nxt over the axis as the power wedge burns fuel and puts a strain on the motor

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fuel consumption and general overall quality. The Malibu’s suck fuel down in insane quantities. I feel the fit and finish are inferior to MC. I also feel the Malibu’s have a horrible ride quality to them in the water. They ride rough. They are good wake boats but are no fun to cruise in. I had the same decision to make two years ago and went with the Mastercraft. I have never looked back since.

Comment

Have him close the windshield and see how well it lines up. A lot of Malibu/axis are off by an inch. It's the worst boat quality I've ever seen. Bayliner can get it right better than Malibu.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I do like both boats, but can't really comment on the performance of the new NXT cause I haven't been out on one yet. What I can say is that i prefer the overall look of the new NXT over the A22. I think its a little classier and will age better. Resale value is another strength of the MC. The '18 NXT wave vs the new A22 (both stock)- I prefer the A22s wave, but again, thats compared to the old NXT, not the new one. Im sure the new wave has improved. As others have mentioned, MC has better fit and finish and more power with better fuel economy. Also, coolfeel is way better than standard vinyl.
            -Tolman
            '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
            '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

There is no doubt the Axis won't be as quality as the MC. The craftsmanship is quite poor on the ones i looked at. However, if you don't care about that and don't mind tightening screws, vacuuming the extra fiberglass when you take delivery its a decent boat. It will surf better IMO, but will also use more fuel as surf gates operate that way. It will also be a little harder to steer when your deployed. But overall, the axis performs well. I personally do not like the NXT and would save money to get into an XT. This would also be a hard decision if i were making it and probably would got Axis.

Comment

Here was my list:
                A22
                Pros:
                5.3 GDI engine standard close loop (more fuel efficient)
                1000lbs more ballast (no factoring wedge) (4500-1500 = 3000)
                Surf Tabs work better in less water
                Auto Launch / Lift mode
                102" beam

Cons:
                No profiles
                No hindge seats

NXT22
                Pros:
                Hinged seats
                Profiles
                Flip seat is a much nicer design

Cons:
                Less ballast
                Questionable actuators (though ive heard they are fixed)
                Was coming out to be a a good bit more than the A22
                Dealer

I think if you want performance in BOTH wake and wave the A22 wins. But if you really need profiles / prefer the flip back seat then the NXT22 might be a bit more user friendly. I am worried the not 102" beam will make it feel smaller though. Not having any kind of auto launch kinda sucks, but I am thinking you could do it manually with the center tab (this is only relevant for wakeboarding).

Since 2019 the A22 seems to have really improved in quality of build and finish with the vinyl and seats. I do think he Dash on the NXT looks a bit better and more modern though.

Comment

Originally posted by agarabaghi View Post
                  I am worried the not 102" beam will make it feel smaller though.

Just FYI, a NXT22 is bigger inside than a A22. Both length and width of the main lounge area and bow. Outside beam measurement doesn’t mean a whole lot.

I can’t remember the actual difference when we measured, but the NXT was all around bigger inside. The gunwales are much narrower on the NXT.

Regardless of having the 5.3GDi or not, the Axis is going to guzzle fuel compared to the NXT.... like 30% more. This is a well known drawback with the wedge, and I know you know that.

Comment

Did MC come with a new design for 2020 NXT (Gen 2) ? Or am I mistaken ?

Comment

^^^ yes

Comment

So nobody really knows how the surf wake will look like behind the 2020 NXT22, compared to the old one. I would assume it should be better, as this is 4-5 years newer design and surf is all the rage right now.
                        Last edited by Elberoth; 09-16-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I have spend plenty of time in the 2020 NXT22 and the A22. I am bias, but I don't think they are the least bit comparable except for price and length. Yes, the NXT22 wave shape is improved. The NXT22 is a more refined, better constructed, has more storage, and checks just about every box in this price point. The wakeboard wake is EXCELLENT and the surf wave is similar in size but more customizable.

My co-worker wakeboarding:
                          https://www.facebook.com/AlanSlabaug...0786140986105/

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
                            Just FYI, a NXT22 is bigger inside than a A22. Both length and width of the main lounge area and bow. Outside beam measurement doesn’t mean a whole lot.

I can’t remember the actual difference when we measured, but the NXT was all around bigger inside. The gunwales are much narrower on the NXT.

Regardless of having the 5.3GDi or not, the Axis is going to guzzle fuel compared to the NXT.... like 30% more. This is a well known drawback with the wedge, and I know you know that.
                            Yes, but it also brings up the conversation of needing the wedge to surf or not. But sure the axis can lose in fuel consumption. My measurements of a 19 A22 and a the dimensions of NXT22 said other wise, either way, interior space we can call even but ill take a 102 beam boat for wakeboarding over a narrow one, but who wakeboards anymore .

Comment

Originally posted by agarabaghi View Post
                              Here was my list:

NXT22
                              Pros:
                              Hinged seats
                              Profiles
                              Flip seat is a much nicer design
                              We just checked out a 20 NXT22 and if I’m not mistaken not all the seats are hinged and I’m not talking the corner ones that you can’t hinge.

Comment

Working...
                              X