2019 NXT22 vs XT21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 NXT22 vs XT21

Here I go, looking to trade in my 08 X2 for a new boat.

Can anyone help me with the differences in these boats and a recommendation?

XT21 - a couple of surf profiles vs none, better stereo, nicer interior, I'm not sure why it weighs in 600# more, it doesn't have the upgraded tower or much else - EDIT -it doesn't weight more the listed weight is fully optioned

NXT22 - $8000 less, more cabin room, manual surf set up

We basically surf and tube in the boat, we are not on it all day so we don't NEED the extra room- but it's always nice, plus you are less likely to hit your head on the tower.

questions on why XT over NXT, surf wave, maneuverability/drivability(will one be more difficult for the wife)

I've seen people on here struggling to set their wake on the NXT22 but not so much on the XT21 -

If I'm looking at these, which Malibu should I consider?
    Last edited by jabir1; 09-25-2019, 10:18 AM.

The XT will likely have better resale value in the short and long term. If you are keeping the boat for a long time, this may not be an issue. Surf wave is pretty easy to dial in on the NXT. I haven't surfed behind the XT, but it will be a nicer boat with more creature comforts. The base engine is more than adequate on the NXT. I assume it is as well on the XT. Depending on the year of the NXT, it will not have seat hinges, which is a little annoying. My wife likes the simplicity of the controls on the NXT. Since we keep our boats a long time, less stuff to break was a plus for us. I do not think the stock NXT will surf nearly as well as the XT, but that is easily remedied for far less than $8k.

Comment

thanks John - yes, it's also a 2019 so no hinges, seats are probably more comfortable on the XT also

Comment

You really need to look at all options on the boat as I would take a fully options NXT over a no option XT21. Assuming the XT21 has a few options and ZFT4 tower, I would go that route. Bringing the 2020 NXT into the mix may change things but I would need to see one in person first.

Comment

Also consider if you prefer the pickle or traditional bow. One of the reasons I bought our XT21. I did not like the pickle I had before it nearly as well. Hardly a noticeable difference in room up there, and the traditional bow handles surfer pick up and other choppy wakes and waves so much better. I also agree with options, options, options to determine if XT21 is worth $8k more

Comment

We went from an '08 X2 to an '18 XT23 earlier this summer and to my surprise no one misses the pickle fork. With the X2 the kids (13-16 yo's) would argue about sitting up front but now the argument is who gets to sit in the flip seat. I now the boat is much bigger but I thought someone would miss the pickle fork.

ZFT4 is a must have!

And I agree with rbuss4 that the traditional bow has been much better in chop (again it is a bigger boat).

Comment

what is it that you all love so much about the tower? the clamps? None of the leftover 2019's have it.

there is a loaded used 2017 XT21 for the same price as the 2019

do you love the surf profiles or do you think you could just figure it out (kids are pretty excited about switching sides of the boat - or at least trying it)

Comment

i would strongly consider the loaded 2017 over the 2019. if there has only been 1 owner the boat will have a warranty through 2022. my guess is you'll find yourself wanting the options you don't have on your nxt22 or less optioned '19 xt 21.

Comment

VLX and MLX 21...

A22

Have you looked at the 2020 NXT22?

Originally posted by jabir1 View Post
                  Here I go, looking to trade in my 08 X2 for a new boat.

Can anyone help me with the differences in these boats and a recommendation?

XT21 - a couple of surf profiles vs none, better stereo, nicer interior, I'm not sure why it weighs in 600# more, it doesn't have the upgraded tower or much else

NXT22 - $8000 less, more cabin room, manual surf set up

We basically surf and tube in the boat, we are not on it all day so we don't NEED the extra room- but it's always nice, plus you are less likely to hit your head on the tower.

questions on why XT over NXT, surf wave, maneuverability/drivability(will one be more difficult for the wife)

I've seen people on here struggling to set their wake on the NXT22 but not so much on the XT21 -

If I'm looking at these, which Malibu should I consider?

Comment

I love the board racks and going from the '08 4-point tower to the new one is a game changer. We occasionally need to get under a railroad bridge if it's closed which was an ordeal with the previous tower. New bimini is also much simpler than the '08.

Just can't justify spending that much on a boat and then have to use bungies on my board rack.

Also agree with XC500mod that a slightly used loaded boat is a better option. Once again just my opinion. Ours has pretty much everything except the twin screens.....I wish I had the twin screens!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jabir1 View Post
                      what is it that you all love so much about the tower? the clamps? None of the leftover 2019's have it.

there is a loaded used 2017 XT21 for the same price as the 2019

do you love the surf profiles or do you think you could just figure it out (kids are pretty excited about switching sides of the boat - or at least trying it)
                      ZFT4 locks in the down position, can be trailered that way, and can be covered with the available over the tower cover. The tower itself is the best we've ever had for height, balance for raising and lowering, and appearance. Worth every penny.

Comment

Last year I traded my 16 NXT 22 for a new 2018 XT21...well worth the upgrade. The XT21 has so many more nice options and comforts than the NXT. You will love the XT!

Comment

XT21 is heavier due to more freeboard and it has better seating, stereo and many other small items that make a difference.

the XT21 is a great boat. Have one myself and love how versatile it is
                          2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

The only NXT 22 I’d consider against a recent XT21 would be a 2020.

Personally I think the XT21 is the best smaller package traditional bow boat made. Very handsome with true all-around use.

Comment

thank you all for your input. I took them both for a ride and decided on the XT21, surf wave was hands down better out of the box. Stereo was night and day difference(I like my tunes). Both boats very impressive compared to my X2 - just overall. I wish it had the cut off windshield but the wife likes the wrap around for cool days/nights anyway. The ride of the NXT22 was very impressive - like a Mercedes.

controls on the NXT were down and to the right and harder to see - they fixed that on the 2020.

For the XT21 owners - where do you put your trash, my X2 opened on the front of the helm and we used that.

not much storage after you fill the PnP in the rear lockers - I've read some upgrade those, I don't see how there is much room for bigger bags - where do you keep everything

I guess I'm going to buy some lead bags - 100# in each of the rear seats and also near or at the cooler? and port side sounds like what many are doing

only 8 months until I get back out - ugh - but it's kind of like booking a vacation and looking forward to it as it nears

Comment

Working...
                              X