Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 XStar gen2 surf tabs bend - anyone else seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stevenbratt
    replied
    Had severe hinge bending on the gsa for the x45. They upgraded to bigger hinge. Still deflected a lot. The cause for that was the curved transom.

If my eyes are not tricking me it appears the transom has a very slight curve to it. But I have been wrong before!! I am not worried about the screws pulling out... yet.

Leave a comment:

• Huckelfin
    replied
    Originally posted by LDA6339 View Post
    Is there an engineer type that can explain to me why a little bending is a big deal? Seems like thats just the way it would wear but doesn't seem like a point of failure....
    Bending is a result of permanent/plastic deformation of a material due to stress higher than it's yield point. When designing a component in a stressful environment, it is important to choose a design which the geometry and materials will not only not yield to the external stresses, but also have a safety factor in the case of an extreme situation. The reason plastic deformation is dangerous is because once a material is yielded, the grain structure is forever changed (unless heat treated to restructure it again), cross sectional area is smaller, etc. and does not technically have the same material properties initially intended.

Having said that, I think the "big deal" is simply that peoples $150K+ boats have important parts that aren't perfect anymore. I would have a hard time saying that it looks like a serious issue from a high level. Stainless is ductile at the intended usage temperature range and that amount of bending is very far from its ultimate tensile strength. I should say though, they could have EASILY picked a thicker stock to make these out of and they would never bend unless you hit something.

Leave a comment:

• moosehead
    replied
    I’ve done some dumb things as Captain, but putting her onto the trailer with tabs deployed is not one of ‘em. Cannot imagine anyone would do so.

OTOH, bent mounting face tabs can either lead to pulled screws as noted above, or bound hinges, or both. Agree with the notion that perhaps a thicker gauge metal is needed at least on the transom mount portion, especially now that we have three instances.

Leave a comment:

• LDA6339
    replied
    Is there an engineer type that can explain to me why a little bending is a big deal? Seems like thats just the way it would wear but doesn't seem like a point of failure....

Leave a comment:

• stevenbratt
    replied
    ‘19 Star. 120hrs starboard side tab.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lakedrum03
    replied
    Wow! How long until the screws start pulling out?

Leave a comment:

• wilhelmwake
    replied
    This is his port side tab.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• wilhelmwake
    replied
    My friend in Holland has a 2018 Xstar and the same exact thing has happened to his tabs!!! He uses the goofy side so his port side tab has been severely bent. He has 150 hours on his Xstar , see the pics. So this definitely confirms that using the boat normally causes the tabs /hinges to bend. They are not made strong enough for the different drag forces. See pics that he gave me consent to publish on his behalf.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• wilhelmwake
    replied
    Originally posted by jtkeller View Post
    My dealer has told me of this happening before to people while loading their boats with triple auto launch on. Boat is loaded, mostly on the bunks and you go to put the boat in forward gear and the tabs deploy and press against the bunks, bending the tabs.

Looking at my x26 on its trailer, I could see how this could happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Fortunately this is impossible to happen as my bunks are only under my boat hull and do not extend over it and I have never tried to move the tabs while having the boat on the trailer. Water has caused my tabs to bend as I stated in my initial message.

Leave a comment:

• SS LS1
    replied
    Hmm, interesting. First thing I did to my trailer after buying the boat was to cut the bunk boards back flush with the back of the boat and recover with carpeting. I didn't know If I would need to drop the tabs (and swim platform) for winter storage but would not be able to with the stock bunks so long. So I trimmed them back to be ready if I did need to drop the tabs. Guess I luckily avoided this trailer bunk conflict problem indirectly.

Leave a comment:

• jtkeller
    replied
    My dealer has told me of this happening before to people while loading their boats with triple auto launch on. Boat is loaded, mostly on the bunks and you go to put the boat in forward gear and the tabs deploy and press against the bunks, bending the tabs.

Looking at my x26 on its trailer, I could see how this could happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wilhelmwake
    replied
    Originally posted by jbmccul View Post
    If nobody posts anything definitive, I'll probably be at the dealer this weekend and can check out a new one and get back to you.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jbmccul
    replied
    If nobody posts anything definitive, I'll probably be at the dealer this weekend and can check out a new one and get back to you.

Leave a comment:

• moosehead
    replied
    ^Not sure about that JJ. I don’t think the transom wall is curved, and if you look at WW’s pics, you can see the mounted hinge piece has been pulled aft of the mounting screws on the starboard side of the starboard tab. WW’s pics of the port side show it slightly pulling away but otherwise not indicating a curved transom wall.

Further, agree with the notion that MC needs to offer 18-19 owner’s an actuator solution and deal with Lenco afterwards. The arms race of bigger, heavier boats continues.
    Last edited by moosehead; 09-25-2019, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Johnson
    replied
    Take a straight edge and go from one end of the hinge against the hull to the other. The hinge cannot bend with the curvature of the hull. My guess is that the hinge is straight and the hull is concave which is why it appears bent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X