Trailering Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering Boat

We have had our 2016 X30 for just a little over a month now, bought used from original owner. Previous boat was a Supreme with a narrower beam, was much easier to trailer and ensure it seated properly. Anyone have any tricks for when pulling the boat out of the water to help it stay "straight" and therefore seat properly on the trailer? I've had to back the boat back into the water a time or after pulling it out because the boat was crooked on the trailer and the ridges (I think they're called strakes - not sure) on the bottom of the boat weren't where they should have been. Thanks!

Struggle with ours, even after 3 years. All it takes is someone sitting on the sun pad holding onto the guide polls.
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

How do x30s respond to power-loading?
      2006 MasterCraft XStar
      2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
      2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
        Struggle with ours, even after 3 years. All it takes is someone sitting on the sun pad holding onto the guide polls.
        Thanks! Have you tried wedging some foam or something between each guide post to ensure it's even? Sometimes I have had it not line up evenly, if with someone holing onto a guide post. Been wondering if something else might work.

Comment

Originally posted by BudmanV24 View Post
          Seems to have responded well to me. I still choose to crank it in the last foot or so, but I haven't had any issues. Even after it's hooked up on the front the boat is still off when I pull it out of the water every now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by BudmanV24 View Post
            Pretty much have to
            Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
            Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
            2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
            For Sale:
            2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
              Pretty much have to
              Might be worth a shot. I've seen complaints regarding 2nd gen star trailers as well. I've always power loaded, and never had issues. Also gets you off the ramp in a fraction of the time....and frustration.
              2006 MasterCraft XStar
              2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
              2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

My last 2 boats have been pretty good however when I do get a ramp that's too steep I'll have some issues.

What I typically do in these cases is use a 2 step loading process. Before doing any loading I'll spray the forward areas of the bunks that will not get wet in the loading process with 303. If I don't have 303 I'll back the trailer in deep so all the bunks get wet. The idea here is to lubricate the bunks to help the boat slide up the bunks while loading.

I then set the trailer with the fenders about 2" above the water. On my rig this is a bit shallow to load the boat and is meant to let the boat center itself in the forward bunks about 3/4 of the length of the boat. Doing this forces the boat to center in the forward bunks which in turn should center the rear of the boat as well. I then back the trailer in until the fenders are just under water. The boat at this point will start to get light on the trailer but should still be held in place by the forward bunks. From here I either power load the rest of the way or I'll winch it up if I'm doing it myself.

If you have 2 people doing this it's quite easy and quick to do while power loading. The person in the truck is setting up the trailer for both steps and the driver is just waiting for the boat to settle in step one and powering on as the trailer is being backed further in on step 2. I used to do this with my daughter going back to when she was 14 and driving the boat while I handled the truck/trailer. If you're doing this 2 - 3 times a week with the same drivers the process is quite fluid. Once lined up on the ramp the entire process would take less than 5 minutes, if that.

Comment

Our x30 does the same thing. I’ve started dunking the trailer to wet the bunks then pull forward until a couple feet of the center bunks are showing. Then float as far in as you can and crank the rest with the winch. It’s not overly difficult and centers every time. If I’m too deep, guaranteed I’ll have to reset it at least once bc the back end will want to float off by a millimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had inboards wo guide poles. I used to have eye bolts in the fender I could hook bungies to and would hook those to the stern eyes which would center the boat.

Comment

MY '13 X25 has the same issue, however much better with the Ramp N Clamp vs the bow roller.

I believe this is due to MC in their infinite wisdom removed the V Bunk & went with extended front bunks. When I had the bow roller, it was next to impossible to get her loaded without sitting up on the strakes. If the ramp is at all leaning to one side... Most...

With the Ramp N Clamp, she centers better, however, once locked in, have the driver back her in until the stern is floating, sit on the rear pad & pull on the guide pole opposite of the lean side. Problem solved

Just as a side note - I put bunk carpet on the Ramp N Clamp - No more orange marks on my bow.

Comment

I struggle a lot with my x25 on one ramp in Austin, it’s really steep and falls off by almost a foot on the starboard side. I usually have the best luck shifting people weight to the low side and holding the guide pole. Pulling out of the water as slow as possible helps as well. My boat is sitting on a boatmate trailer and sounds like MC trailers have the same issue.

Comment

Never had a problem with my XT21. I float it on and float it off. Honestly, I would return the boat to the dealer and make sure the bunks are adjusted properly to the boat. Also, when you float the boat over the trailer, make sure there is no off center weight in the boat and make sure the trailer is level relative to the surface of the water...if not or if you can't you will have issues. In that case someone hugging the guide pole will fix the problem.
                          I back the boat in till it floats and hand pull the boat, floating fully, over the trailer, winch it up as tight as I can, pull it out and she settles right into place.

Comment

Biggest issue is if the ramp is uneven and one side of the trailer is deeper than the other. Otherwise, it could be that your putting the trailer in too deep. I've floated off center on windy days if my driver comes down the ramp too far. If there are still problems, maybe the bunks need to be adjusted. Did the previous owner have any issues?

Comment

I trailer to/from the ramp about 100 times per year. The hands-down trick to managing the trailer at the ramp is understanding the angle of your ramp versus how much of your trailer to put into the water. This will differ for every ramp, but less is more when it comes to getting the boat recentered.

Comment

Working...
                              X