No announcement yet.

Trailering Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hands-down trick to managing the trailer at the ramp is understanding the angle of your ramp versus how much of your trailer to put into the water. This will differ for every ramp, but less is more when it comes to getting the boat recentered.
    ^ this x2
    Last edited by Miss Rita; 10-01-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I truly believe this is an X30 problem. I wouldn’t consider myself an inexperienced boater, and it kicks my but 80% of the time.
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Had bad problems with our X25 and exact same issues with X23. Boat loves to sit "on the strake" and not "outside the strake". It's a special day when it centers first try. Definitely not an issue of not knowing what you are doing, because we have tried every method possible in our hundreds of launches. It's a bunk location issue.

Have asked two other MC owners at ramps in the last year (XT and another X owner) if they have similar troubles. Both said no. I then looked at their boats on the trailer and both were sitting on a strake, not centered properly. They just didn't know or care to look at it. Guess not everyone has MCOCD enough to care, but I think it's a very common problem.

Also a very embarrassing problem for those of us who pride ourselves in fast and efficient launch/loading.

Comment

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
          I trailer to/from the ramp about 100 times per year. The hands-down trick to managing the trailer at the ramp is understanding the angle of your ramp versus how much of your trailer to put into the water. This will differ for every ramp, but less is more when it comes to getting the boat recentered.
          Completely agree. I bought a 12' X30 the beginning of this year and struggled most of the summer. First I learned not to put the trailer to deep in the water. That helps center the boat and stops the stern from floating. But then had a issue with grinding it up the bunks when powering it the rest the way up. Lastly I discovered liquid rollers, = trailer not to far in the water & liquid rollers makes it very easy to power load. Centered every time.

WORD OF CAUTION, DO NOT UNSTRAP BOAT UNTIL FULLY IN THE WATER.

Comment

Originally posted by Loewen View Post
            Had bad problems with our X25 and exact same issues with X23. Boat loves to sit "on the strake" and not "outside the strake". It's a special day when it centers first try. Definitely not an issue of not knowing what you are doing, because we have tried every method possible in our hundreds of launches. It's a bunk location issue.

Have asked two other MC owners at ramps in the last year (XT and another X owner) if they have similar troubles. Both said no. I then looked at their boats on the trailer and both were sitting on a strake, not centered properly. They just didn't know or care to look at it. Guess not everyone has MCOCD enough to care, but I think it's a very common problem.

Also a very embarrassing problem for those of us who pride ourselves in fast and efficient launch/loading.
            With my X23, I never have a problem on my lift at out house unless the tide is low and I have to back further down the launch. I ran into the problem this week and it required my wife to pull the boat to one side while drove the truck out the water. Most of the time I dont have this problem.

Comment

I don’t have X series trailer experience. However, this is so true Foggy. It’s all about the depth to me. And what one would think that deeper is better. It’s not always the case.

? Aric, the 20% of the time it doesn’t kick your but are you power loading? Keeping less boat in the water to get away or off center itself.

Also general question; is the ballast messing with the loading process? Can it be used as an advantage?

I trailer to/from the ramp about 100 times per year. The hands-down trick to managing the trailer at the ramp is understanding the angle of your ramp versus how much of your trailer to put into the water. This will differ for every ramp, but less is more when it comes to getting the boat recentered.
              86' 19 Skier, 351 PCM (sold)
              2008 197 ProStar, LY6 (sold)

Comment

Some ramps just cause more issues than others. The only one that gives me problems drops off quickly under water and is almost a foot lower on the starboard side. Even when power loaded the back is still floating some and that is what causes issues. Adding people or water weight to the low side does help but going slow and keeping it center by hand is still necessary.
                The other two ramps I use are Mansfield on Lake Travis and 360 on Lake Austin and I have never had an issue getting it centered on the trailer at either. I also don't remember having these issues with my old Prostar 190.

Comment

I always stay in the boat as my wife is slowly pulling up the ramp. I am making sure the boat is centered in between the poles by holding one of the poles. That usually keeps me in the middle of the trailer and loaded properly.

Comment

X25 was no fun. Same issue steep ramp someone better be sitting on rear pad to center between rear poles. Backed it up to recenter don’t know how many times .
                    My 19 nxt22 couldnt care less . Steep deep one side lower , get the bow ring centered and all the way under the roller tighten strap . pull very slowly up the ramp and she settles tight in . Hook the rear straps and head for home .
                    2012 GT205
                    2011 X25
                    2019 NXT22
                    2020 NXT20

Comment

Originally posted by dh009 View Post
                      Our x30 does the same thing. I’ve started dunking the trailer to wet the bunks then pull forward until a couple feet of the center bunks are showing. Then float as far in as you can and crank the rest with the winch. It’s not overly difficult and centers every time. If I’m too deep, guaranteed I’ll have to reset it at least once bc the back end will want to float off by a millimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I don't have an X30 but I had an old 230. Maybe totally different. But leaving 18 to 24 inches of the front bunks to settle it is right on here. Same with my NXT. Get them wet and let the motor do the work.

Comment

^^^This has been my experience^^^
                        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I have a very different boat it took my pea sizes brain a year to figure out that not having the rudder straight impacted the problem your speaking of. In short, I am sure there are other issues but I would wager that this would impact your specific Hull

Comment

Working...
                          X