Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compare the X22, X24, XSTAR, G23. Which is the best boat to buy for a surfing family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livnpruf
    replied
    Thanks! That is a great perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Scent of a mule
    replied
    Ill give my perspective as someone who recently switched from a 2016 G23 to a 2019 XStar. bought the XStar in June and have put 120 hours on it since then so will give you my thoughts.
    We buy these boats for performance but fit and finish is important as well when you are paying this kind of coin for a boat.

Surfing Performance
    Hands down the X series over the G. The wave really is that much better. Not that the G23 is bad, but MC has the surf wave dialed in on these boats. The waves are long, big with tons of push all the way back. The G23 is much shorter and steeper with a much smaller sweet spot. My son competitively rides (wakeboard) and is out daily with both pros and soon to be pros and all have said that the XStar is the best wave they have surfed and feel it is the closest wave to an ocean wave.

Wakeboard Performance
    I don’t wakeboard but through my son and his friends I would give the edge to the G23. It has taken some time to get the wake dialed in. All of the riders say it’s has a a very long transition and takes some time to get used to. Some find it lacks the rampy lip but have improved that with additional weight and proper placement. Off the dealer the lot, the G23 is ready to go and is more consistent in wave shape to other competition wakes like Supra etc. only a slight edge to Nautique.

Tubing
    Both are top of the line at pulling tubes. I call this one a tie!

Fit and Finish
    I like the lines of the XStar. Runner up is the G23, followed by the The X22/24. This is all personal preference so take it with a grain of salt.

There is nothing in the interior of the G23 that I disliked. Nautique does everything right inside. However, MC choices of vinyl are significantly better than Nautique.

Here are the things I personally think MC needs to improve on.

Integrate the captain’s chair into the fiberglass lines of the lounge lockers. The captains chair pedestal looks like it is from a 1980’s runabout. Every other big name integrates the seat . It looks clean and it allows the seat to slide forward/backward.

Transom Walk Though
    I am a grown man having to swing like a monkey every time I get into the boat. We have sap problems with cypress trees here and shouldn’t have to put a towel on the vinyl constantly just to get in. Nautique gives you a bow and transom step. The time has come in my opinion to create a proper walk though.

Sea Strainer
    Worst location I have ever seen in any boat. G23 conveniently located with no risk of having the skin of your arm burned off or dropping wrenches down into the hull.

Floor Hatches
    The four circles in the floor of the boat look odd and dated. The cheap plastic latches that wear out over time are not what should be put on a boat with this price tag. Nautique integrates all of their hatches with the lines of their boat and are large hatch doors with stainless latches. I didn’t like them on my X10 and thought that by now they would engineer them away.

Bimini
    While I appreciate that the MC Bimini can fold back for easy storage, the Bimini itself with the stainless tube supports and straps that are constantly flapping in the wind look cheap and dated to me. Nautique does a great job of integrating the Bimini (no straps) The down angle towards the bow provides better shade than the MC Bimini.

Audio Volume Control with a turn dial. I miss this from the G23. The ease of adjusting audio volume is awesome on the G. Malibu has this as well. These are floating juke boxes and audio control is important. The auto volume control with throttle needs improving by MC. It is not smooth or accurate. I hate having to tap the volume button constantly.

Klipsh audio is just inferior compared to JL. Nothing more to add here.

I liked having the fresh air exhaust on the G23. Not sure of the factual data, but made me feel better.

Seadek - Many say there is way to much sea dek in Nautique but I will take wet sea dek in the compartments over wet carpet any day of the week.

Just my opinions. However, going back to performance, the X Series surf waves are far superior and the wakeboard wave takes a bit of getting used to. Both MC waves are far more customizable than the G. In fact, when I made changes to the NSS and NCRS I could never see a difference.

Good luck with your purchase, you can’t go wrong with any of them.
    Last edited by Scent of a mule; 10-17-2019, 11:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• John Johnson
    replied
    Everybody gets pissed and testy when it is time to put the boat up. By April, even I will feel like my NXT can surf with the best of them the first time I go out.

Leave a comment:

• dmbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by swatguy View Post
    Here we go with another keyboard warrior ,,,,,,he’s not asking which 2006-2012 era boat for 50k is the best . MC’s current line is on par surf wise with anyone . Maybe if you actually knew the details about boats and their performance you could contribute something constructive. Please elaborate on what info I posted that wasn’t correct . A lot of educated buyers would choose boats based off actual wake performance, not based on blind faith and fanboy status. Sorry your butthurt that your X15 gets out performed in several categories by other MFG’s , but it’s fact not fiction . Feel free to elaborate with your extensive knowledge of the different mfg’s and their characteristics to prove my statements false .

As far as the ops choice here. Moosehead pretty much nailed it. It really boils down to if you want it towable , or is it gonna sit static. The wakes are pretty close and super customizable once you decide on the tow aspect , pick whichever one has the best features you like and don’t look back. The big difference with these new models is there is no more sacrificing wakeboard wake attributes for surf wake attributes, All the models do both extremely well and the differences are very subtle .
    My x15 does what I want/expect it to do, thanks though. You have no clue what my experiences are with other models and manufacturers, nor do I of you. When someone comes onto an MC forum and asks for general buying advice and people shoot off standard responses that MC inferior solely based off surf wave, it's annoying. Obviously they are here because they are leaning towards MC, every other manufacturer has their own forum, along with the unbiased options available on the web. Previous OP was looking for an all around boat and overall buying advice, based on the major purchasing criteria for 90% of owners, MC is on par with others in any era over the last 25 yrs.

As far as this thread goes, it's right up your ally actually. Someone specifically asking for advice on which model based off of the primary criteria being a big tunable surf wave with everything else really being minor. It's apparent you have good knowledge in that department for many models over a large time frame. When presented correctly like moose did above and as I've seen you do before, it's exactly what the OP is looking for. It's also easier in a thread like this when quality isn't much of a concern since we are talking about a brand new boat and all manufacturers have stepped their game up and there isn't such a gap (if any) between the big 3 and the rest of the field.

As for my contribution to this thread, I've spent time on each of the models you list ( I know shocker right). While it might not have been extensive time on each I have to say they are all great in their own regard. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the wave from any of these boats, really the only area's on any of these that get questionable responses are the G's surf wave and the wakeboard wave of the 24. I don't know if you'll find anyone that doesn't rave about the stars performance, especially if you are looking for a wakeboard wake that can be tuned for any level of rider. I'd have to think that if I was in the OP's situation and about to spend this amount of money I'd want to spend some time in each boat, at a minimum I'd suggest going through each at your dealer. With storage and a sun pad for laying out being possible requirements I'd think that just by doing a walk through in the showroom you're going to find a model of preference. I really don't think that any of these options are going to disappoint once on the water, as no $120k+ boat should.

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
    2019 25ft Malibu LSV or M235 will surf better than all of the above
    Sorry, no. Nothing against the 25LSV or 235, they are great surf boats. But no, not better than a new X series.

Leave a comment:

• swatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by dmbeck View Post
    Wait for swatguy to help out

“Why MC, there’s so many superior boats by other manufacturers in your budget”
    Here we go with another keyboard warrior ,,,,,,he’s not asking which 2006-2012 era boat for 50k is the best . MC’s current line is on par surf wise with anyone . Maybe if you actually knew the details about boats and their performance you could contribute something constructive. Please elaborate on what info I posted that wasn’t correct . A lot of educated buyers would choose boats based off actual wake performance, not based on blind faith and fanboy status. Sorry your butthurt that your X15 gets out performed in several categories by other MFG’s , but it’s fact not fiction . Feel free to elaborate with your extensive knowledge of the different mfg’s and their characteristics to prove my statements false .

As far as the ops choice here. Moosehead pretty much nailed it. It really boils down to if you want it towable , or is it gonna sit static. The wakes are pretty close and super customizable once you decide on the tow aspect , pick whichever one has the best features you like and don’t look back. The big difference with these new models is there is no more sacrificing wakeboard wake attributes for surf wake attributes, All the models do both extremely well and the differences are very subtle .
    Last edited by swatguy; 10-17-2019, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• moosehead
    replied
    OP, you are talking about the best surf and wake boats available so you really cannot go wrong. Fit, finish, systems, ergonomics, and performance are top notch. I was blown away by both the ‘19 Xstar and ‘19 X22 surf waves and spent a full day on both. By all reports here the X24 is equally impressive. New hull designs, larger more articulated surf tabs, electronics, GDI powerplants, and ballast systems (both fast fill and regular) are all noticeable improvements and cutting edge for towboats.

Takeaway for me is that these ‘19+ MY X boats are at incrementally new level of surf and WB performance in stock configuration, significantly better than our beloved 2015 era boats (X10 with 750 lb bags + lead, X30 with 1100 lb bags+ lead). They are also much more quiet and sit higher with more freeboard and our '15's. I have also enjoyed our neighbors G21 and G23, and while the G's surf wave is tall and steep, it is much shorter than MC's wave particularly these new gen Xboats you are looking at. Which one of the three Xboats will largely depend upon your crew, gear, water, etc.

X22: Outrageous surf wave size and power in smaller footprint. May have best ballast to hull size ratio for wave displacement but note some storage room is taken up by ballast. Easiest to tow, stow, and dock but interior seating is larger than one would expect given how the cockpit and pickle bow are stretched into the hull enclosure.

XStar: Spectacular surf and WB wakes. Recent redesign regained category killer status after lagging G for several years. Sharp design cues. No transom seating but allows for significant transom storage for boards and/or additional ballast bags in transom lockers if so desired. Great storage.

X24: Big daddy SurfStar. Triple axle trailer, big tow rig, and big water likely needed. Query whether one needs the 7.4L powerplant or not? Both the Star and X24 handle exceptionally well despite larger size given extra large rudders, massive props, and 2:1 transmissions.

We got our X30 from Martin Motorsports, great folks and there is tremendous pricing on ‘19 closeouts with some help from MC. Note only the XStar and X24 went with bigger Lenco actuators for 2020 due to the greater hydro forces on the larger boats, the X22 is the same gear.

'19 XStar Surf pics and video: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=98797

'19 X22 Surf pics and video: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=102994
    Last edited by moosehead; 10-17-2019, 01:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dmbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by cbreck0318 View Post
    Lol. How do you spell troll........I think it starts with a g and ends with a g
    Wait for swatguy to help out

“Why MC, there’s so many superior boats by other manufacturers in your budget”

Leave a comment:

• MC25
    replied
    Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
    Hahahahahahaha. They surf good. But not that good.

Leave a comment:

• cbreck0318
    replied
    Lol. How do you spell troll........I think it starts with a g and ends with a g

Leave a comment:

• gwozhog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    G surf wave kinda is loved by some, but considered Meh by most. It is powerful, and thick. But it is short and steep, and can’t be adjusted from that much. Some folks do really love it, but it is a love it/hate it wave.

X22, X24, and XStar will all have a universally loved wave, that is much more tunable. They are push button wave machines, and not picky about setup/weight.

XStar will be the best handling of any of the XSeries, by a long shot when loaded, but they all handle much better than a G loaded. The G rudder is about half the size it should be.

If looking for the best balance of surf and wake, I’d pick the X22 or XStar. X24 has a nice wakeboard wake as well, but not quite as good/versatile as the Star and 22. Then you just decide if you want style and a bigger bow (Star), or if you want back seats (X22).

Leave a comment:

• Loewen
    replied
    Transom Lounge seating.... The luxury LaZy-Boy recliner of the boating industry. If we say it enough, will folks eventually get the hint and will MC eventually put it on the XStar?

Best seating option I have EVER ordered.

Leave a comment:

• Lakelife
    replied
    Where in western Canada are you?, what lake?
    when i replace my X23 it will most likely be a Xstar possibly an X22 depending on price, i love the Xstar. X24 is very big and needs weight either a big crew or extra ballast with that weight it makes a great wave.
    I also deal with MMS i love that Xstar in your post.

Leave a comment:

• jgraham37128
    replied
    transom seats....game changer.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X