Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compare the X22, X24, XSTAR, G23. Which is the best boat to buy for a surfing family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    djyas
    TT Enthusiast

• djyas
    replied
    Mastercraft is better IMO. G23 is a very nice boat new but my buddy’s 2015 looks like sh*t. The interior didn’t wear well at all, yet the 2013 Xstar I sold years back with 700 hours still looks pristine today (I’m in touch with the buyer).

The wakeboard wave on the G23 is the absolute best I’ve ever ridden by far. It has a table top shape to its wake that makes it easier for a medium skill rider (like me) to get (and land) big air. The problem is nobody (sadly including me) wants to wakeboard much anymore.

I believe there is a trade off between optimal wakeboard and surf wave and in my experience Mastercraft is leaning towards surf lately... especially in the X24 we got.

Good luck in your search!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• maniacmikes
    MC Devotee

• maniacmikes
    replied
    Originally posted by MileHiGuy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps understand some of the differences. Not sure either why they removed some ballast as everyone else gets more. One question on the operation of the stereo - Does Mastercraft use a speed compensated volume control? really enjoy this feature of our outgoing boat and can’t seem to find this description.

Thank you!
    Yes, MC does use a speed control volume. There are 5 different settings/levels to adjust how aggressive it is, and basically it mutes the stereo below 5mph. It is not nearly as nice as the Nautique system, which just seems way more seemless, like you don't even notice it.

MC's 5mph cutoff is a little harsh in my opinion. When going to pick up a downed rider you bounce above and below 5 mph all the time, so you have the stereo coming on and off. What I do like is that they have physical volume and mute buttons on the dash, in addition to the touchscreen, so access to mute the stereo is super easy.

Leave a comment:

• Tookeymonster
    MC Devotee

• Tookeymonster
    replied
    Originally posted by MileHiGuy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps understand some of the differences. Not sure either why they removed some ballast as everyone else gets more. One question on the operation of the stereo - Does Mastercraft use a speed compensated volume control? really enjoy this feature of our outgoing boat and can’t seem to find this description.

Thank you!
    I like the speed control volume, I like it to turn down when we turn to go get a rider. I also like the hard mute button for quick access.

Leave a comment:

• MileHiGuy
    TT Newbie

• MileHiGuy
    replied

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• MC25
    MC Master Poster

• MC25
    replied
    Originally posted by dmbeck View Post
    There's a large group of people who feel the same about denali and platinum trim trucks. It's all a matter of anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
    Except a limited cost 20k more than a lariat. Not 100. Lol

Leave a comment:

• dmbeck
    MC Fanatic

• dmbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by MC25 View Post
    I still can’t believe for the life of me people are buying paragons
    There's a large group of people who feel the same about denali and platinum trim trucks. It's all a matter of anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Leave a comment:

• XT21LakeAnna
    MC Fanatic

• XT21LakeAnna
    replied
    I own a 2020 X22 and my neighbor owns a 2021 G23. The wave on X22 blows it away in terms of push and shape. That being said a lot of my small friends and family like the g wave but not in the same league. I am 250 and in order to surf behind G we need to push it up to 9 and it loses some of it's shape. This is with 700 pounds of lead, maybe if he adds 500 more. The X22 pushes me with stock ballast and if you add 500 it is insane.

I like a lot of features with the G, like the helm but if you want the best wave go X22.

Leave a comment:

• MC25
    MC Master Poster

• MC25
    replied
    I still can’t believe for the life of me people are buying paragons

Leave a comment:

• ryan_kc13
    TT Enthusiast

• ryan_kc13
    replied
    Definitely an odd decision by Nautique to lower the amount of stock ballast, but it is one way to get people to splurge for the Paragon.

Leave a comment:

• gwozhog
    MC Devotee

• gwozhog
    replied
    Originally posted by cbreck0318 View Post
    Lol. How do you spell troll........I think it starts with a g and ends with a g
    With as dead as this forum has been this year your lucky to even have a troll lurking around still

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    MC Maniac

• FourFourty
    replied
    Originally posted by ryan_kc13 View Post
    I have not but from what I have heard, expect to add about 500lbs of lead to the G23, and this is because they have lowered the amount of stock ballast.
    Most owners of new G are actually adding 800-1200lbs..... and that’s just get it up to a “good wave” and up to the level of a stock paragon.

I have been behind a paragon. It was a nice wave but still not quite on par with X22 or XStar. Interior on the paragon was phenomenal, but I suppose it should be for $100k more than a X22.

Leave a comment:

• ryan_kc13
    TT Enthusiast

• ryan_kc13
    replied
    I have not but from what I have heard, expect to add about 500lbs of lead to the G23, and this is because they have lowered the amount of stock ballast.

Leave a comment:

• MileHiGuy
    TT Newbie

• MileHiGuy
    replied
    Old thread but good information. Does a anybody have a comparison with the new G Hull design on the 2021/Paragons in therms of surfing wave? I know both boats are top notch in terms of craftsmanship and they both have their pluses and minuses. I am mostly comparing the new G23 to an X22.

Thank you in advance!

Leave a comment:

• maniacmikes
    MC Devotee

• maniacmikes
    replied
    Hard to argue with a lot of what has been posted recently.

I moved from a 2014 X30 to a 2018 X-star this spring. I also considered a G23 and Supra SL.

The G is a well thought out boat. There are tons of little things that really make it functional, lots of those little things I wish I had on my MC for sure...but I can also say the reverse of that, and pick out a lot of different features from different brands and say "I wish my boat had that"

While those little features are nice, and add up to a great package, the surf wave just wasn't on par with other newer boats. Pretty much all we do is surf (80%) and wakeboard (20%), we don't do anything else, we don't just hang out on the boat - so the surf wave was a high priority for us.

If I was more serious about wakeboarding, I probably would have given the G a little more consideration, but the incredible wakeboard wake just didn't outweigh the "okay" surf wave for us. Honestly the surf wave didn't even feel like much of an upgrade over my X30 with 3,300 pounds of ballast.

The Supra SL was a nice boat, again, lots of little things I like, and although I was very disappointed with the surf wave on our test drive, it did have good volume, so maybe it has some potential. Wakeboard wake was fine, but didn't blow my mind. Once I got in and started driving the boat and using the features, I just didn't feel it anymore. I didn't like driving it, and since that is where I spend most of my time, I just couldn't do it. There was also some unfinished fiberglass underneath where they drilled a hole in the stringer - that just turned me off too.

I left that test drive thinking I would just keep my X30.

But then, I got to ride the Xstar. Honestly the wave was just incredible. It wasn't the longest, it wasn't the tallest, but the combination of length/height of the Star wave -I had never seen before. But the most impressive part is the amount of power it has, not just in the sweet spot, but way back in the curl. On the other boats, by the time you drop back to the curl, I felt like I had to work to keep from losing the wave...but the Xstar had this surge of power that throws you back in. I was pretty sold at that point, but then I got to wakeboard it - biggest wakeboard wake I have ever ridden. It had a long transition and less lip, which takes some getting used to, so I can see that it is not for everyone... but the landings were so forgiving, I pulled out some off balance landings that I know I would have crashed on before - and for me, not being a great wakeboarder and getting old -it was just perfect. After that, there is no way that I could go back to my X30. I now wakeboard the Xstar at the same speed as my X30, but about 7 feet longer rope length. Even at that, I don't feel like I am working hard at all to clear the wake, which has allowed me to stay more balanced in the air and I have landed several new tricks this summer thanks to the extra time in the air and forgiving landing pad.

Since then I have surfed the X24 a lot too. The waves are very comparable, with maybe a slight edge going to the X24 because it is a little longer. For that, in my opinion, you do sacrifice some wakeboarding wake performance... the X24 can be very nice, but it doesn't clean up as easy as the Star (which is super easy), does not stay as clean at low speeds, and overall I don't think it is as large...but I have only wakeboarded the X24 a couple times.

I have not been behind an X22 yet, but it should be in the same ballpark as the other two boats. It really is just about picking what length and layout you want.... Unless, you are concerned at all about lower speed/intermediate wakeboarding - then I would give the slight performance edge to the Star.

Leave a comment:

• Livnpruf
    TT Newbie

• Livnpruf
    replied
    Thanks Moose...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X