Cool Feel Vinyl Pops all over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Feel Vinyl Pops all over

I am not dumping on MC here - they build a fantastic boat, and my dealer has been good to me, but I'd like your thoughts and maybe someone here can run this up the flag pole.

I decided to give you guys a heads up on an issue with my 2017 XT23 which today has 50 hours. I don't get out much obviously. Boat is stored in doors in heated garage, and is covered when we are not at the cottage.

The black cool feel is 'heating and bubbling' and then popping. Someone on this forum with a black cool feel from 2017 (early production and with a boat built at the same time as me) had reported the very same issue and his dealer and MC replaced the entire interior. I was hoping this issue was not going to happen to me, but last year, 3 pops appears and MC replaced the skins...and this summer a whole whack more appears (and I put about 12 hrs or so on the boat this season).

I order Black cool feel vinyl, and this is the exact colour combo - because, hey, it matches my car.

MY ISSUE IS THIS: I'd like to think that MC realized this was a warranty claim against defective material and would agree to replace the entire interior - however MC would rather just replace the 12 NEW places this has occurred (not counting the spots I can see bubbling now). I'd like to think it's best to just start over and replace it all, since there will be UV issues in a few years by replacing this in patchwork. My real fear is that I have a hop-scotch of patterns and colors as some will have a few years of UV and others not so much. Plus, I really don't like the 4hr return trip to the dealer.

What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	2470249

Name:	Count2.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	2470244

Name:	Issue11-12.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2470245

Name:	Typical.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	2470246

Name:	Issue7-8.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2470247

Name:	Issue11.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2470248

Name:	IssueCount.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2470243

Sorry to hear about your issue, but LOVE the color on your gt3

Comment

you could try going straight to someone at Mastercraft and see if they are able to offer you something closer to what you are looking for... I'm assuming you want Mastercraft to replace the entire interior?
      Trouble with warranty claims and dealers, is that they can only replace what's damaged. Just because there is a good probability something else may become damaged in the future, they cannot put a warranty claim in for what. If the manufacturer OK's replacing the entire interior, I'm sure the dealer will be happy to do it.

Comment

Nice tow rig!

Hope you get it worked out, I would want the same with the most recent gen CF materials used throughout.

Comment

Very nice color selection all around. I hope that you can find a permanent one time fix for this.

I did not know that there was a tow package with the GT3....

Comment

Originally posted by mmskiboat View Post
            Very nice color selection all around. I hope that you can find a permanent one time fix for this.

I did not know that there was a tow package with the GT3....
            The tow package was a CSX option. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Proedge View Post
              you could try going straight to someone at Mastercraft and see if they are able to offer you something closer to what you are looking for... I'm assuming you want Mastercraft to replace the entire interior?
              Trouble with warranty claims and dealers, is that they can only replace what's damaged. Just because there is a good probability something else may become damaged in the future, they cannot put a warranty claim in for what. If the manufacturer OK's replacing the entire interior, I'm sure the dealer will be happy to do it.
              I get that. It comes down to what’s ‘the right thing to do’, and it’s clear from the other boat that the material used was defective, so why have me travel 4 hrs and do this 3 more times? They’ve already replaced three pieces. This is #4 through 15!! So just do the right right thing and do the whole darn boat would ya?? Yes...no??

Comment

I'm not sure which other boat you are referring to. But I do know of one situation in which a dealer replaced the interior and told the customer that corporate covered it. Corporate had determined that the user caused the failure, by using inappropriate products on the fabric. The product wasn't defective, and corporate didn't warranty it. I think the dealer just wanted to keep the customer happy, and kudos to them. I'm not even saying the dealer "lied" to the customer. Probably just said 'it's covered under warranty' and didn't elaborate on who was covering it. Again, I'm not sure which boat you are referring to, and I don't want to compare situations.

So with that said, I'd be dealing directly with my dealer. Keep us posted as to what they have to say and offer, and we can probably help with opinions. Generally, corporate will not deal directly with a customer, unless the dealer really fails. Go through the proper process. It sucks that your dealer is not nearby. But that is, unfortunately, the nature of the situation.
                Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

I would ask the dealer to come get it. I mean if you've driven it to him 2-3 times isn't it fair he come get it and return it at least the same amount?

I assume the ones the dealer replaced are not popping?

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                    I would ask the dealer to come get it. I mean if you've driven it to him 2-3 times isn't it fair he come get it and return it at least the same amount?

I assume the ones the dealer replaced are not popping?
                    I've had my dealer come also.
                    2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

Steve,
                      I was the one that had those issues a few years ago and yours looks to be exactly the same issue as I had. And for just the reasons you state, I had them replace the entire interior... I have to say that with out solid dealer support, it would have been very difficult. Although, you can have your dealer contact Rick here at Stancraft Idaho. He will have all the info and process that they had to go through.

Good luck,

Michael
                      Cheers,

Michael
                      '65 Old Town Canoe
                      '98 Prostar 35th Anniversary LT1
                      '17 XT23 6000GDI

Comment

Originally posted by swb911 View Post
                        Steve,
                        I was the one that had those issues a few years ago and yours looks to be exactly the same issue as I had. And for just the reasons you state, I had them replace the entire interior... I have to say that with out solid dealer support, it would have been very difficult. Although, you can have your dealer contact Rick here at Stancraft Idaho. He will have all the info and process that they had to go through.

Good luck,

Michael
                        Was there an explanation? Did they acknowledge a defective batch of cool-feel? I'd have wanted the entire interior replaced as well. I think your dealer stepped up to the plate.

Comment

John,
                          From what I recall, there was a known issue with the earlier batches of the black. Look at the old thread where I started this topic. I think the new black has the same color throughout... the first gen (as you can see in the bubbling) has white under a thin outer layer of black.

Yes, my dealer did great and I applaud MC for stepping up too. There were hoops... although I was not surprised and they were appropriate steps to take before spending lots of money fixing the issue.
                          Im a happy long time MC owner.
                          Cheers,

Michael
                          '65 Old Town Canoe
                          '98 Prostar 35th Anniversary LT1
                          '17 XT23 6000GDI

Comment

Originally posted by swb911 View Post
                            John,
                            From what I recall, there was a known issue with the earlier batches of the black. Look at the old thread where I started this topic. I think the new black has the same color throughout... the first gen (as you can see in the bubbling) has white under a thin outer layer of black.

Yes, my dealer did great and I applaud MC for stepping up too. There were hoops... although I was not surprised and they were appropriate steps to take before spending lots of money fixing the issue.
                            Im a happy long time MC owner.
                            Glad to hear that Michael. There are definitely steps and even hoops to go to and through with these situations.

Comment

Michael thanks for that.
                              You and I shared a few private messages that I also saved from when you had that issue. I will say that my dealer has not been very clear on what they tried to do or who they spoke to. They also didn’t seem to acknowledge the fact that I need to drive two hours each way and that this is a pain in the ***. I am going to go back to them and re-explain this for the third time now. When these pops occurred, I clearly told the dealer to tell Mastercraft I have the same issue. I don’t want to diss on Mastercraft here because maybe they don’t really realize the situation and my dealer is just talking about some trivial pops in 12 places!!. There is no question the black cool feel vinyl in that early manufacturing phase was the problem because your boat and mine were built at the same time. My dealer just doesn’t Seem to take this seriously at all. I will keep you informed and also try and If my dealer fails me again I’ll try and contact Mastercraft myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X