• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lakedrum03
    MC Devotee
    • Jul 2017

Slalom Ski Recommendation for Uncoordinated Fat Guy

Experts - I am looking a recommendation for a slalom ski for me. I am about 5'7" and 200lbs with no discernible skiing skills. Hoping to find something that is easy to get up on and make some turns. Not looking to start my tournament career anytime soon. I would like to find something new or used for no more than $300, if possible. What would you all recommend?

I found this 2017 HO Evo Slalom Ski 69" on ski-it-again. Would this work?
    Link: https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/ski...m&postid=53616

Description:
    - Paulownia Wood Flex-Core: Lightweight high strength Paulownia wood core for better ski flex and an ultra-soft feel
    - Surf Inspired Fish Shape: Lower aspect ratio with wider tail = ultra-efficient planning surface for performance at slower speeds and easier deep water starts.
    - Clean Edge Technology in tail for 50% less drag than conventional skis
    - Bevel-less design with high volume concave – more stability in chop and rollers
    - RTM Surf inspired freeride fins – Multiple fin options to add even more versatility to the ski. Ride anything!

Amongst the chaos of the modern world, a new movement is emerging. Individuals are seeking wild, natural places, foregoing the comfort and connectivity of the modern world, for adventure and uncertainty in the natural world. Weekends once reserved for shopping and consuming are being replaced with an explosion in camping, surf safaris and exploratory backcountry skiing and snowboarding. Why can’t water skiing be included in this fun? HO envisions a world where city dwellers escape to the beach on weekends to surf, fish, camp AND WATER SKI. We dream of bumming a ride off a local fisherman for a dawn patrol water ski session before a day spent hiking in the forest. Or what about a weekend camping trip with your friend’s jet ski to explore the lake you always dreamed of laying turns on. Don't you want to seek out what is around the next bend in the river? Slalom courses, manmade ski lakes and tournament ski boats will always be a part of water skiing, but there can also be so much more. With the right ski and hardy sense of adventure, water skiing’s future can be wide open again. It is with this intention that EVO was created: A water ski to introduce new participants to a sense of adventure and the experience of skiing on water; A water ski to break tournament skiers out of our routines, to reintroduce us to participating with the public and discover a new way to fall in love with skiing again; A water ski to ignite the Adventure Skiing Movement and define the EVOlution of water skiing.
  • 88 PS190
    MC Addict
    • Aug 2005

So sizing I can't necessarily comment on, I'm 6' 185 and I'm on an HO Syndicate Omni 67

I would divide skis into about 3 pools;

Tournament Skis - these will essentially be designed to ski as if you were skiing the course, they will be narrower, they will ride differently in the water and they will only "turn" if you stand on them properly.

Crossover skis - These still ski like a tournament ski, but tend towards being wider, maybe softer, less money, and more tolerant to playing around/not specifically skiing as if you were running balls. Good examples the Radar Katana, The Radar Union, The HO Omni, the HO EVO (starting to get towards a freeski) When you slip off the tournament ski track these skis tend to have features in them to help them turn easier even if you're maybe a tail rider. The Radar Katana shape for instance has a big flat area that sort of forces people to stand up on it. The HO's have a tail that has wakeboard style edges.

Freeskis - These are the widest versions and while you can cut back and forth through the wakes making turns they're also more tolerant for a variety of other things. Here's where I'd put the HO Hovercraft, the Radar Butterknife etc.

In the past few years a bunch of fun things have come out - the HO Hovercraft should be on your map. Radar Katana or Butterknife, The HO EVO, HO Omni etc. A lot has to do with what all you might like to do, the speeds you might want to ski, and if you like to do things like slow the boat down and jump the wake or if you like to speed up and carve.

On the slow and jump its the HO Hovercraft, on the faster and carve its the Katana or EVO or Omni. If you really want to rip turns I'd move towards the HO Omni in the highest build level or maybe a Radar union.

If you are a Radar/Ronix guy the Radar Union is the general shape but wider than their top tournament ski the Vapor - so if you find yourself ripping it up and wanting to ski some balls the Union will feel very similar to a Senate and then similar to a Vapor sort of like a ski to 28 off 30 mph, another to whatever line at 32/34 mph and then an option if you're really a ripping 36 mph guy at that point.

Comment

• epnault
      MC Devotee
      • May 2010

Wow. That is a heck of a marketing copy/story for a ski.

Dude you aren’t fat! My mean skiing weight is 215. I would try to find something local as you are only looking for a simple recreational ski. The cost to ship skis can be close the $75 or more alone. Did you check craigslist? Look for a 68 or 69.

Comment

• sppeders
        TT Enthusiast
        • Jun 2013

seems like a good deal on this guy. for the price, can't go wrong.

Comment

• epnault
          MC Devotee
          • May 2010

Originally posted by sppeders View Post
          https://www.the-house.com/wshofrrb63...waterskis.html

seems like a good deal on this guy. for the price, can't go wrong.
          wow. Great find

Comment

• MIskiboat
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2004

Above info seems good. Look for a crossover.

Also, I’d look for ski/binding package vs messing with that.

Some HO’s have a unique rear binding bolt pattern and only works with their bindings. Too much to worry about.

Offer the guy $300 shipped on the one you posted and move on.

Chances are, for a beginner, your goals are to get up consistently and start getting some turns in. “My opinion” is Small differences in ski performance (or brand etc) don’t matter for that level., or even a bit higher level. You won’t know what you won’t know.... you get used to the ski in your boat. unless you demo 5 different skis, which is also a hassle.

Buy used for a good deal. Then re-evaluate in 1-2 years if you like skiing and want something else to try.

Comment

• CottagerGreg
              MC Maniac
              • Sep 2006

If you are new to Slalom your hardest part will be a deep water start. I suggest a free ride or wide bosy ski to make this easier. You can always upgrade once you get better and more confident. Also a wider ski will allow you to ski at a slower speed and not 32-36mph.
              2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

• Cletus
                TT Regular
                • Aug 2019

I bought an HP Evo Freeride and found it to be less than optimal for me - ie - I skied on it twice and both times thought i was going to die it was so squirrly (boots in right place) so I ordered a 69" Radar Katana. I really like the Katana - fast enough to keep you on your toes, easy up, carves great turns... I think I paid less than $250 w/Boots for the Katana (it was last years model) so your mileage may vary, but those deals are still out there.

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                  MC Maniac
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                  Experts - I am looking a recommendation for a slalom ski for me. I am about 5'7" and 200lbs with no discernible skiing skills. Hoping to find something that is easy to get up on and make some turns. Not looking to start my tournament career anytime soon. I would like to find something new or used for no more than $300, if possible. What would you all recommend?

I found this 2017 HO Evo Slalom Ski 69" on ski-it-again. Would this work?
                  Your size is definitely correct - a 69. It also sounds like its the right level (recreational)

HO EVO size chart:

Model Length Rider Weight
                  Evo 65 Up to 150
                  Evo 67 150 - 200
                  Evo 69 200 - 250
                  Evo 71 Over 250

Question - do you have video of your skiing?

SJ
                  The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• stevenbratt
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2014

You could try one of these.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• lakedrum03
                      MC Devotee
                      • Jul 2017

Thanks for all input. Please keep it coming!

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post

Question - do you have video of your skiing?

SJ
                      SJ - here is a good example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2402687

Comment

• lakedrum03
                        MC Devotee
                        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by stevenbratt View Post
                        You could try one of these.
                        oh man, i don't know. That looks pretty advanced.

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                          MC Maniac
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                          SJ - here is a good example.
                          Well, then your skill level is along the same as me....

2018 I did great (for me), skied @ reginals
                          2019 tore rotator cuff, season over late sept
                          2020 surgery and PT, I get to watch skiing daily... :/

At least I get to drive and judge
                          The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• 88 PS190
                            MC Addict
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
                            Some HO’s have a unique rear binding bolt pattern and only works with their bindings. Too much to worry about.

I would say ALL the ski companies basically have a unique rear binding pattern, the front is basically universal now (including trick skis) although sometimes you cannot get the boot to tail distance proper with some bindings on some skis and need to do some messing about.

The rears are a crap shoot.

Comment

• lakedrum03
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jul 2017

Guys - thanks again for all of the input. Its a little early yet for people to be cleaning out their sheds in my area, but I will be on the look out for some of your recommendations above.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X