Gas leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leak

Used my 2018 XT20 once this year before Lake Powell shut down. Only ran about 3/4 tank of gas for the trip. Filled it full on the way home. Next morning the garage smelled like gas. After investigating gas is leaking out of the fuel pump canister top seal. Obviously the tank is full, but I’ve filled it many times before without leaking. Is this a common problem? The only thing I did differently at the end of last year I filled it with ethanol free gas and my fill up on the way home was ethanol free as well. Could that be a problem?

It’s happened to me after dealer changed the fuel filter (in the tank) and didn’t seal the cap well enough. Had to improvise new rubber washers to
    Seal it

Comment

Originally posted by djkslc View Post
      Used my 2018 XT20 once this year before Lake Powell shut down. Only ran about 3/4 tank of gas for the trip. Filled it full on the way home. Next morning the garage smelled like gas. After investigating gas is leaking out of the fuel pump canister top seal. Obviously the tank is full, but I’ve filled it many times before without leaking. Is this a common problem? The only thing I did differently at the end of last year I filled it with ethanol free gas and my fill up on the way home was ethanol free as well. Could that be a problem?
      Did someone change the in-tank fuel filter?

Comment

Would have dealer give you new seal and bolts with washers, ask dealer torque values...bolt with washers , thinking * inch/lbs*... you can get a Small "inch pound torque wrench at Auto zone ~ loaner tool. Look for cracks or loose metal female tank inserts. Sure some people just snug them up by hand and reuse seals, but now you see what can happen...
        Last edited by Fullpass; 04-13-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Yep, the factory recommended process is new bolts and washers every time the cap comes off the gas tank to seal it

Comment

And if the boat is still under warranty you should not touch it. Take it to the dealer.
            -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

I have an appointment to take it to the dealer since it’s still under warranty. That caps never been off. I’m sure they’ll just re-seal it. Seems strange on a 2 year old boat.
              Last edited by djkslc; 04-13-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

There was a recall for x star pump seals leaking and potentially catching fire. Maybe it applies to your boat

Comment

Did you try tightening the screws?
                  Is it plum full (shouldn't leak anyways, but)?
                  It's a big rubber gasket, worst case take it apart and see what it's leaking if the screws aren't loose.
                  I'd fix it before spending all the time to take it in and pick it back up if it's a simple fix.
                  '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

There is a recall on all of these fuel systems that needs to be done. Take it to your dealer and they will do it. Not sure how far back it goes but I do believe it includes 2018.

Comment

Working...
                    X