No announcement yet.

What fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started using Rec90 non-ethanol in my 08 LY6 starting with my winterization last year.
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
    1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

I got water in the fuel from 1 marina . boat would barely run . had to pump the crap out flush the tank and lines . It really sucks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2012 GT205
      2011 X25
      2019 NXT22
      2020 NXT20

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
        Just started using Rec90 non-ethanol in my 08 LY6 starting with my winterization last year.
        Where are you buying your rec 90??

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
          We buy Rec 91 100% gasoline and many local stations. Often its dispensed off to the side at a different pump where they may sell kerosene or racing gas also.

Have also seen it locally at larger fuel stations that have separate pump bays for semi trucks. Have a look at some of those near interstate interchanges.
          XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
          SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
          SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
          SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

I've always had a theory that everyone who complains about the ly6 eating spark plugs is caused by them running 87 in an engine designed for 91.
            2006 MasterCraft XStar
            2006 MasterCraft X1 - Sold
            2003 Sevylor Caravelle 7' 6"

Comment

Originally posted by BudmanV24 View Post
              I've always had a theory that everyone who complains about the ly6 eating spark plugs is caused by them running 87 in an engine designed for 91.

That engine has never seen 87 since I have owned it.

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post

It was hard to find a couple years ago but has expanded greatly since then. I get it 4 blocks from my house but check out this web site to find it local.

https://www.pure-gas.org
              If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
              1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Nothing but 89 no ethanol in my 1996 MC 190. Never ETOH. Ever.

Comment

I run 90 ethanol free, most of the marinas on LKA only offer one grade.

Comment

That engine has never seen 87 since I have owned it.

It was hard to find a couple years ago but has expanded greatly since then. I get it 4 blocks from my house but check out this web site to find it local.

https://www.pure-gas.org
                    Agreed. unfortunately, none of them are on my way to the lake, so I have to go out of my way. First world problems......

Comment

Short story, 2018 Xstar with gdi 6000

Last spring went down to local marina (only one close to me), asked the dock attendant what type of fuel they are selling, she told me it was 91 octane non-ethanol. Great! fill-er up. I continue to use that marina to fill it up over the next month or two.

Boat runs fine, everything seems normal, we surf, we wakeboard (50% ballast)- would have never thought anything about it...until I have a friend come out that is an advanced wakeboarder and we load the boat with full ballast + lead etc... and for the first time ever, the boat struggled to get on plane and I actually had to turn on triple tab auto launch (which I have never had to do before).

Call up the dealer, they send a tech down, he agrees it feels low on power only when ballast is full. Hook it up to computer and find the timing advance on the ECM is down 50%. He asks what type of fuel I have been using and before I tell him, I go back to the marina and talk to the manager. Manager this time tells me they buy the cheapest fuel possible. It all made sense at this point, and I resorted to filling her up by 5gal jug for the rest of the season...but it does take a while for the computer to re-calibrate.

So, yeah, maybe the boat runs fine on whatever fuel you put in it...your computer is going to compensate ...but maybe it could be better
                      The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

91 NON Ethanol in every boat i have, old/new doesn't matter.. NO ethanol.

Comment

Here in Canada most marinas sell 94 octane marked boat gas. It's not cheap, but seems to be good for engines.
                          Some stations around the province have Marked boat gas at pumps 91 or 94 octane. (marked gas simply means that it's not meant for road use and there are no road taxes on it. You have to sign a form when you buy it saying that you won't put it in a car and use it on the road)

In a pinch, I'll get 91 octane non-ethanol at a regular Chevron or Shell station. I have the LY6 in my boat, never had any issues with spark plugs or being low on power.

Comment

Working...
                          X