Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identify water leak. Possible rope seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify water leak. Possible rope seal?

Hey all,

1999 Mastercraft Sport Star

I got the boat out for the first time this year, we did a little island camping this weekend (ticks were awful btw)

Woke up and when we went to leave I noticed the bilge had a significant amount of water in it.

I pumped it all out and noticed through out the day I had to drain it some more.

I watched a couple videos on YouTube about the rope seal leaking, but my boat has some sort of dripless shaft or something. (I’m not familiar with the system)

I’ll attach a picture I took when I first got the boat and maybe someone could help me out?

Do you still have a rope seal if it’s dripless?

When I was putting the boat on the trailer I noticed a lot of water coming out where the drive shaft goes up into the bottom of the boat. Is that normal?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    99 Mastercraft Sportstar

You may want to check the wet exhaust connection between your muffler and tips. I had the same issue as you, and about the same year boat. Mufflers can leak, the connections of wet hose and mufflers / tips can also leak. Check your Ideal clamps around the muffler (rear) and make sure they are holding tight and that the ends have not cracked. That was part of my issue, but my packing nut was also loose.

Comment

Your dripless seal systems does not have packing. Water coming out the hull at the shaft is normal with the dripless system.

It does have a seal inside that can leak but those things are pretty maintenance free for a good long while, although you should keep an eye on that spot for the leak as you go through the process of elimination.

There are several places a leak can occur in the 190 hull.

TJ is correct on the clamps. The clamps in the very rear of the boat can be hard to get to but no need to remove the fuel cell. Loosen the filler hose clamps and rotate the fuel cell along the filler hose axis, in place right on the floor. Plenty of room to get to the clamps at the inside of the transom. Rotate back into place...done deal. It's easy to do.

Also the boat can take on water at a low speed through the deck and the hull. MC did not do a good job at all to seal that joint/seam aside from rivets. Water can roll up the side (slow speeds before plane) and come right in that crack. Nothing a tube of 100% silicone won't take care of.

Cracked muffler. Those things sit on the hull floor and I have seen several rub a hole right through the muffler. Nothing a little 3M resin and cloth won't take care of. Again an easy DIY fix.

Your dripless system is dripless (compared to the older packing seal systems) because is has a complete thru-flow of water from the engine through a hose feed to the seal. Then on out the seal into the lake (or driveway, etc.). Thus no need for the junk ring packing. Those can require a new seal inside (easy replacement) so don't rule it out. Typically they are maintenance free for much longer intervals of time VS the packing rings.

A rudder seal can also be leaking. While you have the fuel cell moved aside (again plenty of room) consider rebuilding the rudder seal(s). Easy enough. A tip: the tiller arm that the steering cable connects to has a bolt that the steering cable is connected with where attached to the rudder...there is a nut to remove from the bolt. Remove the nut, then you also have to remove the bolt as a threaded connection. It does not pull out as a thru-bolt connection...it's threaded.

93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by tjrowbot View Post
        You may want to check the wet exhaust connection between your muffler and tips. I had the same issue as you, and about the same year boat. Mufflers can leak, the connections of wet hose and mufflers / tips can also leak. Check your Ideal clamps around the muffler (rear) and make sure they are holding tight and that the ends have not cracked. That was part of my issue, but my packing nut was also loose.
        Forgive me for being stupid but the clamps on the fiberglass muffler towards the front or the back of the boat?

I'm going to attach some more pics, it doesn't look like I have a rope seal.

I also just filled the bilge up with water and didn't see a drop of water leaking
        Attached Files
        99 Mastercraft Sportstar

Comment

Check them all. but I think TJ was referring to the clamps on the very back of the exhaust system near the transom.

The nut on the worm gear clamp(s) screw is 5/16". I like a hand-held nut driver tool for that instead of a straight blade screw driver...or a socket.

93 190
          (safe click)

Comment

Easy to diagnose shaft seal. (regardless of type) Put the boat in the water. Lift engine cover, place boat in gear. It's worth putting boat into water to confirm, the seal.

There are a number of different, dripless systems. Some use a lip-seals. Water from pump, flows into dripless system applying pressure around seals, for sealing and cooling. Water flows outward, along the shaft. Dripless system, can wear out.

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ng-shaft-seals

Yes, can be other causes, most easily observed...with dry bilge...boat in the water.

Don't over-tighten hose clamps, on plastic barbs or glass mufflers. Rotate worm screws, 180 degrees. Hand tighten with screw driver, then 1/4-1/2 turn. Using a ratchet wrench, you can over tighten...causing muffler ends to crack.
            Last edited by etduc; 05-26-2020, 04:32 PM.
            sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Filling bilge, rarely works, with packing failure...unless it's totally gone/broken system. Simply, not enough pressure.

A boat sitting in water, is exerting a couple thousand of pounds...against the water. Increasing
              pressure per square inch.,,,on the seal.

I don't know the math, it hurts my head!
              sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Working...
              X