Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat shuts off when idling

Hello all,
    This is such a great page of knowledge on the Prostar thank you for sharing. I hope I get my 205 running for the 4th or I am a dad who will be in the dog house.

I have had my 1993 out a few times this year the first time it started cold but after turning over ran great. Second time out it started ok and pulled a wakeboarder and kids skiing. The engine was purring like a kitten. Later that evening I reluctantly pulled the kids on the tube for about 30 minutes and parked it. The next day she had some trouble turning over but was able to get it running. Out on the water I could not put it in neutral with out it shutting down so I kept it with a the rpm at 1000 with the throttle engaged. I was thinking it may need a new wix water separator filter so I was going to replace it and put some additive to the gas to see if I could get it to idle higher. I mistakenly took off the oil sensor and not the wix water separator filter. I put the oil sensor back on and replaced the wix filter. I went to start it up and was able to get it going for about 5 seconds before it stalled but this time it would turn over but not fire up.

I am at a loss I think it may have something to do with the carb. As you can tell I do not have a strong background working with engines but I am trying to learn. All of the boat mechanics in my area are three weeks out before they would even be able to look at it. I checked and double checked the lanyard safety clip but I don’t think that is the issue because I was able to get it to turn over for a few seconds.

Thank you for any advice you have

So many things could be happening, but a simple thing would be a clogged fuel filter

Comment

If it’s the fuel injected with the Throttle body injector replace the Idle air control valve.

Comment

Oops never mind I see it’s carbed

Comment

If you still have a “turns over but no start” here is what I would do. Get some starting fluid, remove the flame arrester and spray a couple of quick bursts into the front of the carb. The choke is probably closed, so You may have to push down on the choke plate to open it up, then give a quick spray or two then try to start. Starting fluid is ether and highly combustible - if you have ignition spark it will fire and run for a few seconds. If you do not have spark, it will not start at all.
          If the boat is in the water, all the better. If it’s on a trailer, personally I would do this test w/o hooking up to a water supply b/c you are literally just checking to see if it will fire. If it does fire up like it wants to run, shut it off immediately. You now know that your issue is on the “fuel/air side” of the three things requires to make these engines run - fuel, spark, air. If it won’t run then you mostly likely have ignition problems. Any further testing will require you to hook up a water supply if on a trailer.
          It could be any number of things, but the good news is they are all pretty simple and sometimes it’s a process of elimination.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastcars View Post
            Hello all,
            This is such a great page of knowledge on the Prostar thank you for sharing. I hope I get my 205 running for the 4th or I am a dad who will be in the dog house.

I have had my 1993 out a few times this year the first time it started cold but after turning over ran great. Second time out it started ok and pulled a wakeboarder and kids skiing. The engine was purring like a kitten. Later that evening I reluctantly pulled the kids on the tube for about 30 minutes and parked it. The next day she had some trouble turning over but was able to get it running. Out on the water I could not put it in neutral with out it shutting down so I kept it with a the rpm at 1000 with the throttle engaged. I was thinking it may need a new wix water separator filter so I was going to replace it and put some additive to the gas to see if I could get it to idle higher. I mistakenly took off the oil sensor and not the wix water separator filter. I put the oil sensor back on and replaced the wix filter. I went to start it up and was able to get it going for about 5 seconds before it stalled but this time it would turn over but not fire up.

I am at a loss I think it may have something to do with the carb. As you can tell I do not have a strong background working with engines but I am trying to learn. All of the boat mechanics in my area are three weeks out before they would even be able to look at it. I checked and double checked the lanyard safety clip but I don’t think that is the issue because I was able to get it to turn over for a few seconds.

Thank you for any advice you have

Did you fill the new fuel/water separator with gas? If not, don't expect it to run for long. The separator holds a lot more gas than the carb's bowl and the fuel line- once that gas has been used, the fuel line is filled with air.

Put some gas in an old mustard bottle with a nozzle and drizzle some gas into the carb before starting it. When it starts to bog, drizzle more in and keep it running until it will run on its own.

Comment

Working...
            X