• Show
Clear All

This is from MC's website, the 2021 owners manual:

https://www.mastercraft.com/media/ti...ers_manual.pdf
    Attached Files
    50.241899, -115.857747

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
      AFAIK, 2019 and older is just the $500 to MC.

2020 and up, Ilmor changed their policies and require a $600 transfer fee, and require a dealer inspection/compression check/etc...

That all said, there still seems to be some confusion with it. The 2020 owners manual says $500 to transfer mastercare.... which is a bow to stern warranty including powertrain. Not sure if ‘21 manual says the same.

I think i will try to get more clarity on this, and see if I can find the definitive answer.
      Wrong,

Or at least with the 2019 GDI you get the 7 year or 1000 hr warranty that has to be paid separate to Ilmor. I just went through this with my 2019 X22. Dealer confirmed with MC headquarters. Also 2019 is the last year they offered 5 years on the touch screens. 2020 and up are only 3 years for the touch screens. Dealer also checked to make sure both warranties transferred to my name. Dealer does need to inspect, but its up to them weather they charge for it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
        Wrong,

Or at least with the 2019 GDI you get the 7 year or 1000 hr warranty that has to be paid separate to Ilmor. I just went through this with my 2019 X22. Dealer confirmed with MC headquarters. Also 2019 is the last year they offered 5 years on the touch screens. 2020 and up are only 3 years for the touch screens. Dealer also checked to make sure both warranties transferred to my name. Dealer does need to inspect, but its up to them weather they charge for it or not.
        That’s unfortunate....

2019 is definitely not applicable, and we transferred several without an added fee to Ilmor. We have been working through the gray areas on the 2020s because it is not specified in either warranty statement for 2020 (Ilmor or MC). In the 2021 manual however, it specifies that Ilmor has additional requirements, and if you refer to Ilmor warranty statements for 2021, it specifies the added charges...... but 2021 is the first year any of this is mentioned.

The 2020 confusion stems from a publication from Ilmor in 2020 that engines manufactured after that date would have the transfer charge. We are currently working to clarify 2020 boats with Ilmor.

One thing I can say for certain...... is that you didn’t need to pay an added transfer charge on the 2019.

Comment

That’s unfortunate....

One thing I can say for certain...... is that you didn’t need to pay an added transfer charge on the 2019.
          Just did this on my 2019 X24. I sent MC a check for $500 and then called the next month to confirm all was good. My warranty was extended the remaining 5 years of the original 7 year warranty.
          05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
          15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

That’s unfortunate....

2019 is definitely not applicable, and we transferred several without an added fee to Ilmor. We have been working through the gray areas on the 2020s because it is not specified in either warranty statement for 2020 (Ilmor or MC). In the 2021 manual however, it specifies that Ilmor has additional requirements, and if you refer to Ilmor warranty statements for 2021, it specifies the added charges...... but 2021 is the first year any of this is mentioned.

The 2020 confusion stems from a publication from Ilmor in 2020 that engines manufactured after that date would have the transfer charge. We are currently working to clarify 2020 boats with Ilmor.

I think it is only for some of the 2019's depending on motor and build date possibly. It was confirmed by both MC and Ilmore, unfortunately some of the people that transferred warranty's will not be fully covered due to the confusion. So I am told...

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
              Just did this on my 2019 X24. I sent MC a check for $500 and then called the next month to confirm all was good. My warranty was extended the remaining 5 years of the original 7 year warranty.
              Do you have the 6.2 or the 7.4? You may want to also double check.

Comment

So maybe I missed another discussion regarding extended warranties on the Illmor but I’m hoping I didn’t get suckered into buying a warranty I don’t need.

I had to finance a small percentage of the boat and the lender seemed awfully interested in adding an extended warranty to what he called “a high horsepower motor” in the 7.4L.

So I ended up with an additional 60 month warranty on a 2018 Star (2 years left on the existing 5 year) with a $50 deductible from FPS for around $5300. Did I get taken or is this reasonable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That sounds like something a finance company would try to sell you to gain them some referral cash. With rates and spreads the way they are, they pull out all the stops to make a dollar.

Aftermarket warranties (provided by someone other than the manufacturer) are generally a ripoff imo.

If it's not too late, I'd ask them to remove it, or tell them you'll give them 2650 for it (which they'll probably take).

Comment

Get the name of the insurance firm that underwrites the policy and check google for reviews/complaints. Couple years back I did that @ Honda dealer and found a pretty sketchy company behind the paper. I declined their 3rd party warranty offer and negotiated a deal on the OEM plan sold by Honda instead.

Like cmasty, I avoid any 3rd party warranties. If I really think I need one, I do a little risk analysis and try to negotiate OEM deal. Those third parties have to make money, and paying claims isn't making money. At least the OEM has some stake in your satisfaction of their vehicle, dealer, and service.

Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by jackpine View Post
                      Has anyone heard any updates on the warranty transfer debacle (i.e. whether a separate Illmor motor transfer & separate inspection fees apply)?

Like @cabin fever, I’m also curious if this is a new policy that only applies to specific late model years? Looking to transfer a 2018 and the dealer tells me the $500 warranty transfer fee covers both boat and motor. I’m hoping I’ll receive some paperwork to validate this though...
                      Updating this thread because I literally just did this process to transfer warranties from both Ilmor and MC.
                      1. $500 - MC Transfer Fee
                      2. $298 - Inspection and Processing Fee for MC from dealer
                      3. $600 - Ilmor Transfer Fee
                      4. $372 - Ilmor Inspection (compression, DIACOM, run on hose)

To be honest, I was shocked that there was a grand total of $1770 dollars involved in transferring the two warranties, but likely worth it for a boat with four years left on the coverage; especially considering that I already have three items to fix. Admittedly the fees are also probably a deterrent which keeps many folks from transferring, and this ultimately lets MC off the hook.

Comment

Also - note the following from the Ilmor manual -

All warranty transfers must be registered by an authorized Ilmor Sales and Service Center. As part of the transfer registration process you will be required to do the following:
                        Rev 1.0 – 05/20/2019

(i) Within 30-days of the sale or transfer of the boat, and at the current owner’s or buyer’s expense, take the boat containing the Ilmor Products to an Ilmor Sales and Service Center for Warranty Transfer inspection and service.
                        (ii) Provide all service and maintenance records to the Ilmor Sales and Service Center as outlined in the Engine Owner’s Manual
                        (iii) Provide the name, address and telephone number of the transferee and a copy of the Bill of Sale or purchase agreement to the Ilmor Sales and Service Center representative.
                        (iv) Pay the $650 USD transfer fee to the Ilmor Sales and Service Center. (somehow I paid $600)
                        Upon completion of the above, the Ilmor Sales and Service Center will authorize the warranty transfer.

Comment

What model year boat was this for?

I know there has been some discussion and changes (on the MC/Ilmor side) surrounding warranty transfers in the past few years-
                          Former: 2007 X15

Comment

Originally posted by Upnorth07 View Post
                            What model year boat was this for?

I know there has been some discussion and changes (on the MC/Ilmor side) surrounding warranty transfers in the past few years-

MC Transfer inspection and fee applies to all transfers.

Ilmor inspection and transfer fee applies to 2021 and newer.

Best thing to do is check the warranty section in your owners manual. I believe the ilmor transfer is only mentioned in the warranty section for 2021-up.

Comment

I just had alot of experience with this. It is only $500. But you are correct there are 2 parts to the warranty. one covers the hull and all accessories (mastercraft portion) and the second is the Ilmor. covers powertrain. Transmission and engine. I had the hull transferred but not the powertrain for some reason. it was just an oversight. all was good in the end. No other fees applied.

Comment

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
                                Also - note the following from the Ilmor manual -

All warranty transfers must be registered by an authorized Ilmor Sales and Service Center. As part of the transfer registration process you will be required to do the following:
                                Rev 1.0 – 05/20/2019

(i) Within 30-days of the sale or transfer of the boat, and at the current owner’s or buyer’s expense, take the boat containing the Ilmor Products to an Ilmor Sales and Service Center for Warranty Transfer inspection and service.
                                (ii) Provide all service and maintenance records to the Ilmor Sales and Service Center as outlined in the Engine Owner’s Manual
                                (iii) Provide the name, address and telephone number of the transferee and a copy of the Bill of Sale or purchase agreement to the Ilmor Sales and Service Center representative.
                                (iv) Pay the $650 USD transfer fee to the Ilmor Sales and Service Center. (somehow I paid $600)
                                Upon completion of the above, the Ilmor Sales and Service Center will authorize the warranty transfer.
                                So, if you transfer a warranty on an Ilmor engine that hasn't had the work done by an authorized Ilmor dealer the warranty is void? IE if I did all the work and document it alone with parts receipts I'm still screwed!
                                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Working...
                                X