Warranty Transfer - is this right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crashchris View Post
    I just had alot of experience with this. It is only $500. But you are correct there are 2 parts to the warranty. one covers the hull and all accessories (mastercraft portion) and the second is the Ilmor. covers powertrain. Transmission and engine. I had the hull transferred but not the powertrain for some reason. it was just an oversight. all was good in the end. No other fees applied.

That really depends on the year....... It used to be a straight $500 charge to transfer, and that was the end of it. This still applies to 2020 and older boats.

For 2021 and newer, They require the $500 transfer fee, plus dealer inspection costs for boat, Plus $650 transfer to ilmor, plus dealer inspection costs for engine. The whole process ends up being $1500-$2000 now (for 2021-2022 boats).

Comment

What happens if Ilmor or MC decide after the inspections that they don't want to transfer the warranty? Starting to sound like the 5 year warranty claim is only intended for the original owner.
      2016 X30

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
        So, if you transfer a warranty on an Ilmor engine that hasn't had the work done by an authorized Ilmor dealer the warranty is void? IE if I did all the work and document it alone with parts receipts I'm still screwed!

No, you can do maintenance yourself. I would just suggest keeping receipts for the oil, filter, impellers, and all other maintenance related items. Also record dates of services, hours on boat, and what was performed.

Technically, you shouldnt need to do any of that, as long as you stick to the proper schedule, use appropriate Ilmor parts (or equivelent/better grade aftermarket parts), and do the services properly. Use good quality filters, oil that is the correct viscosity and meets/exceeds grade requirements, etc....

Comment

FWIW My 2019 had separated warranties and transfer fees from MC and Ilmor.

Comment

Originally posted by Upnorth07 View Post
            What model year boat was this for?

I know there has been some discussion and changes (on the MC/Ilmor side) surrounding warranty transfers in the past few years-
            2021 MasterCraft X22

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
              MC Transfer inspection and fee applies to all transfers.

Ilmor inspection and transfer fee applies to 2021 and newer.

Best thing to do is check the warranty section in your owners manual. I believe the ilmor transfer is only mentioned in the warranty section for 2021-up.
              100% Correct that this is for newer models. Unsure of what year is started, because my previous 2017 only had the $500 fee from MC.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                So, if you transfer a warranty on an Ilmor engine that hasn't had the work done by an authorized Ilmor dealer the warranty is void? IE if I did all the work and document it alone with parts receipts I'm still screwed!
                I feel like the transfer will likely always go through if the diags and compression test come back good. However, this process made me realize two things:

1). The warranty inspection really should be done BEFORE the re-sale of a newer model is completed in order to be safe/fair to all parties, even if the buyer pays for the inspection fees. This way, any warranty items could be taken care of before the sale, diags and compression could be validated in advance, and then the transfer of warranty could go through.

2). If I knew in advance that I would only have a new(er) model boat for a single season, I likely would not pay the warranty transfer fees and would just spend the $1700 to do repairs if needed instead of paying up front. I know, the risk is there that I could find myself upside down with this move, but since I literally never buy any extended warranties on anything...I figure I will still come out ahead in the long run. Lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by tenmile View Post
                  FWIW My 2019 had separated warranties and transfer fees from MC and Ilmor.

It shouldn't have. It should have just been a single $500 fee to transfer the whole thing.

That said, the transition to having to do this on newer models (2021+), has been confusing to some dealers, and they think that inspection fees and multiple transfer fees (both MC and Ilmor) need to be charged on older boats. 2020 and older is just a simple form and a $500 transfer fee.

Comment

That really depends on the year....... It used to be a straight $500 charge to transfer, and that was the end of it. This still applies to 2020 and older boats.

For 2021 and newer, They require the $500 transfer fee, plus dealer inspection costs for boat, Plus $650 transfer to ilmor, plus dealer inspection costs for engine. The whole process ends up being $1500-$2000 now (for 2021-2022 boats).
                    fair enough. mine is a 2018

Comment

It shouldn't have. It should have just been a single $500 fee to transfer the whole thing.

That said, the transition to having to do this on newer models (2021+), has been confusing to some dealers, and they think that inspection fees and multiple transfer fees (both MC and Ilmor) need to be charged on older boats. 2020 and older is just a simple form and a $500 transfer fee.
                      That’s what the originating and receiving dealer both thought until I needed warranty work on my motor and Ilmor denied it, not having received their transfer fee. Both dealers looked it up and confirmed it changed midway through MY2019. Originating dealer was upstanding and since warranty transfer was part of the deal, paid it. Hull warranty had already been transferred and warranty work done under said transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by tenmile View Post
                        That’s what the originating and receiving dealer both thought until I needed warranty work on my motor and Ilmor denied it, not having received their transfer fee. Both dealers looked it up and confirmed it changed midway through MY2019. Originating dealer was upstanding and since warranty transfer was part of the deal, paid it. Hull warranty had already been transferred and warranty work done under said transfer.
                        I would invite you to refer to the warranty details provided in your owners manual. The change might have been proposed in 2019, but was not included as a warranty stipulation until MY2021. The warranty details, rules, and exclusions are included in your owners manual, and are legally binding.

Comment

There is obviously a disconnect somewhere. I just sold my 2019 X22 and the buyer had to pay the separate charge for the Ilmor transfer and well as the separate inspection. Skier's Marine handled it, they are not exactly small nor new to MC.

Comment

Working...
                          X