• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabin fever
    TT Regular
    • Feb 2020

Warranty Transfer - is this right??

deleting question. think i found answer.
    Last edited by cabin fever; 07-17-2020, 06:02 PM. Reason: deleting - found answer
  • skydyvyr
    MC Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

You shoulda just left the question, then posted the answer or link to the answer so that it can be found by others when they search.

—Sky
    ------------------------------------------------
    2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
    2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

• ewilcox11
      MC Fanatic
      • Jun 2015

Yep, I always seem to find posts about whatever problem I'm having and bunches of them end without people explaining the solution.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

• cabin fever
        TT Regular
        • Feb 2020

Fair point. I’ll clarify.
        I found an answer that I think is right but I’m not sure. I’m going to go with it, for my situation. Didn’t want to mislead others in case my conclusion is wrong.

I called a dealer about transferring a warranty (first owner to second owner) and was told that you have to pay a $500 Mastercraft transfer plus a $650 Ilmor transfer fee plus $495 for the dealer to check out the boat in order to authorize those transfers.

In the Mastercraft Warranty it lists only the $500 transfer fee that goes to Mastercraft, and on that form there is a space for you to fill in not only the hull ID, but also the engine serial number, and the transmission serial number. One could read that to imply that the $500 fee transfers all warranties, but it’s not 100% clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Proedge
          TT Enthusiast
          • Jun 2019

I'm surprised you have to pay to transfer the original manufacturer warranty at all. Those almost always stay with the vehicle. Now in the case of extended warranties, yes you have to pay to transfer those.

Comment

• sonexer
            TT Regular
            • Aug 2015

Last summer we purchased a 2017 XT23 from our Mastercraft dealer here in Michigan. All we had to do was send a warranty transfer form and $500 to Mastercraft to transfer the warranty. After a few weeks, I checked with the dealership and they looked it up to confirm that Mastercraft had transferred the warranty to us. We did not have to pay a fee to have the dealership inspect anything nor pay a fee to Illmor. When in doubt, contact Mastercraft directly.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Comment

• Dredgeking
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by sonexer View Post
              Last summer we purchased a 2017 XT23 from our Mastercraft dealer here in Michigan. All we had to do was send a warranty transfer form and $500 to Mastercraft to transfer the warranty. After a few weeks, I checked with the dealership and they looked it up to confirm that Mastercraft had transferred the warranty to us. We did not have to pay a fee to have the dealership inspect anything nor pay a fee to Illmor. When in doubt, contact Mastercraft directly.

Hopefully this is helpful.
              Last year our dealer handled the transfer paperwork and paid the $500 transfer fee as part of the sale, but it seemed that simple.

Comment

• JohnnyB
                MC Maniac
                • Oct 2004

When I bought my boat used, i paid $500 to transfer the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

• cabin fever
                  TT Regular
                  • Feb 2020

Thanks all. That’s what I’m doing ($500 to MC). Hopefully will be all I need to do to cover everything.

Comment

• JP-OH
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Feb 2015

Dealer tried to tell me I needed an inspection and separate fee for engine. I clarified with MC and $500 a form and that's it. Confirmed with Mc afterward and I am the registered person for warrantee.
                    50.241899, -115.857747

Comment

• Cycleman6
                      TT Newbie
                      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by cabin fever View Post
                      Thanks all. That’s what I’m doing ($500 to MC). Hopefully will be all I need to do to cover everything.

I emailed Mastercraft last week regarding this same issue. The seller bought the boat new from Charlotte Ski. They told him I would have to pay $500 for Mastercraft to transfer the boat warranty, and an additional $700 to transfer the Ilmor Warranty. Mastercraft stated, and I quote:
                      "The original date of purchase for this boat was 3/31/2018 so if you were to purchase this boat the warranty would expire on 3/30/23. Also, the transfer fee is only $500.00 for 2017 models. Ilmor has made some adjustments to their fees on the 2020 and 2021 models. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Connie Sweet

MasterCraft Boat Company

Comment

• cabin fever
                        TT Regular
                        • Feb 2020

Update here for anyone interested in the warranty transfer questions.

Took boat in for winterizing and while there asked dealer to confirm warranty coverage. Dealer said warranty has transferred to my name. Great.

So then I asked, hey can you confirm that covers both boat and engine? Lo and behold dealer says no it's only the boat. Said engine warranty transfer requires a $700 fee plus an inspection by the dealer ($ for that also), but the kicker is that it had to be done within 30 days of my purchase of the boat from the 1st owner (now is beyond that date). Similar to story from my original post, different dealer.

I have 100% of the warranty and owner materials, and on the MC warranty transfer it asks for the hull id as well as the engine serial number, so in my opinion that implies it covers both. Nowhere in MC materials is a separate Ilmor transfer mentioned. This is a 2019 XT22, so maybe Ilmor and MC changed policy in 2020 but the dealers are applying it to the 2019 year??

So, I'm interested in discussing this directly with Mastercraft. Luckily so far I have no engine warranty issues, but not wanting to wait till then to argue my case.
                        Last edited by cabin fever; 11-12-2020, 05:31 PM. Reason: minor correction

Comment

• jackpine
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2021

Has anyone heard any updates on the warranty transfer debacle (i.e. whether a separate Illmor motor transfer & separate inspection fees apply)?

Like @cabin fever, I’m also curious if this is a new policy that only applies to specific late model years? Looking to transfer a 2018 and the dealer tells me the $500 warranty transfer fee covers both boat and motor. I’m hoping I’ll receive some paperwork to validate this though...

Comment

• duckhunter82
                            TT Regular
                            • Mar 2020

I am in the same boat. Just purchased a used X22 and paid 500 to MC but now i am unsure about powertrain warranty. Always something

Comment

• FourFourty
                              MC Maniac
                              • Nov 2010

AFAIK, 2019 and older is just the $500 to MC.

2020 and up, Ilmor changed their policies and require a $600 transfer fee, and require a dealer inspection/compression check/etc...

That all said, there still seems to be some confusion with it. The 2020 owners manual says $500 to transfer mastercare.... which is a bow to stern warranty including powertrain. Not sure if ‘21 manual says the same.

I think i will try to get more clarity on this, and see if I can find the definitive answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X