Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a great day on the lake tubing...until the boat caught fire...dampened it a bit..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dono what it is, but have seen the wiring looms casings just dry rot, salt brackish water, I would definitely look for internal wires starting to show through/break out of the casings…the two internal wires touch each other or find a grounded metal object that leads back to the battery. Can look for heated bubbly wires in areas not exposed to the fire…Think boat would be a liability for the insurance and total boat out. All speculation of course...

Comment

Good luck with the fix, and stay safe!

Comment

I'm blaming the tube. No good can come from tubing.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidF View Post
          Still guessing fuel line issue but I have no idea.
          The line with a T-fitting and hose clamps- is that original and are you the original owner of this boat? When they came out with the in-tank pump, all fuel lines, including the return line, were the same- Teflon line covered by fiberglass/stainless braid/fiberglass braid/fiberglass/orange flame-resistant jacket with quick release connections at both ends. There were no splices with T-fittings and hose clamps because the Coast Guard wouldn't have allowed it.

Comment

Dealer is coming this week to pick it up and they’ll go through all of it I’m sure
            08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

Comment

Is that burned section of wiring directly below the area where the bin is damaged most? That looks like it could be where the fire started- the end of the return line may have been loose and if the wires shorted & arced, one drop of gas is about all it needed to become worse.

Comment

David, you’ve been through a lot with this boat, lots of heartache and down time.

I think it’s time to look at a newer one.
                Former: 2007 X15

Comment

In theory I agree. But a new(er) boat will cost too much for me at the moment. And the insurance claim will certainly hurt resale value I assume.

Comment

Dealer grabbed the boat today, had to use one of my wave runners to get it to the launch. Doesn't want to touch it before insurance gets involved but fairly sure it's an electrical issue, which seems about right to the naked eye.

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                      The line with a T-fitting and hose clamps- is that original and are you the original owner of this boat? When they came out with the in-tank pump, all fuel lines, including the return line, were the same- Teflon line covered by fiberglass/stainless braid/fiberglass braid/fiberglass/orange flame-resistant jacket with quick release connections at both ends. There were no splices with T-fittings and hose clamps because the Coast Guard wouldn't have allowed it.
                      Hmmm, I have a 08 X45 that has the same T-Fittings and hose clamps for the vents.
                      2008 x45

"You Can't Beat a Tree"

Comment

Originally posted by DavidF View Post
                        In theory I agree. But a new(er) boat will cost too much for me at the moment. And the insurance claim will certainly hurt resale value I assume.
                        If you think it might not be totaled , that sucks. I wouldn’t even consider a boat with that much fire damage. Not like it just melted a few wires or something.

Hope you left the bow strap unhooked are told the dealer to drive fast if it won’t be totaled.
                        What’s the dealer have to do with it anyway? Seems like 100% an insurance issue to me.
                        '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Is an electrical/mechanical failure really a covered loss by insurance?

I hope so for the OP's sake
                          '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
                          (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
                          '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
                          www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
                            If you think it might not be totaled , that sucks. I wouldn’t even consider a boat with that much fire damage. Not like it just melted a few wires or something.

Hope you left the bow strap unhooked are told the dealer to drive fast if it won’t be totaled.
                            What’s the dealer have to do with it anyway? Seems like 100% an insurance issue to me.
                            Maybe the case here.. but we do insurance quotes all the time for boat damage. Actually just finished one up and have another waiting

Comment

Should be fixed minus your deductible.
                              Sucks to end the season like that though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2012 GT205
                              2011 X25
                              2019 NXT22
                              2020 NXT20

Comment

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
                                Maybe the case here.. but we do insurance quotes all the time for boat damage. Actually just finished one up and have another waiting
                                Oh that makes sense.
                                '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Working...
                                X