Maristar 210 questions with video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maristar 210 questions with video

So I'm looking at a kind of rough 2000 Maristar 210. 900 hours. Rough upholstery. Dead gauges (computer) no stereo but does have a monster tower. I water tested it today and it cranks well and runs strong. I noticed what I would describe as a rattle from the vdrive (maybe) in reverse idle. My wife noticed a high pitched wine that varied with speed (maybe a gear noise?) I've never driven a vdrive before but the seller says the rattle has been there since he bought the boat in 2013 and believes it to be normal. Shifting from forward to reverse is smooth, engagement is smooth. But I could use some advice from the gurus. Here is a link to the video the seller sent me. I also posted the link in a WTB thread I started before I had seen the boat. If I need to pull that down or move one of these threads please let me know. Is this worth 15K or ??? Thanks to all!

https://vimeo.com/439824247

I forgot to mention is is a coastal boat - owner says used mostly in fresh water but some in the brackish intercoastal. No signs of rust in the engine bay but trailer does have some rust.

Comment

10k most.

Comment

15 is high. I just purchased a boat identical to this a month ago - light upholstery damage, 500 hours, freshwater only. The market is really good right now but not good enough to give 15 for that boat IMO. If you’re looking for a project I’d offer 9-10. If you’re wanting to get on the lake quickly I’d keep looking. The market is hot but still some decent deals to be had if you look hard, have cash, and are willing to drive.

Comment

Thanks JCM and John - where are you guys finding boat deals like this? I haven't seen them but I'm looking and have cash. I'm willing to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by flyski View Post
            Thanks JCM and John - where are you guys finding boat deals like this? I haven't seen them but I'm looking and have cash. I'm willing to travel.
            When I decided to buy in the middle of the season in a hot market I spent a few hours a day looking under every rock.

Search tempest for searching multiple areas craigslist at once, Facebook marketplace will let you relocate a 100 mile search radius, only inboards, and the classifieds here.

I’m not sure what your budget is. I gave myself a wide range and focused on finding something that I thought was a deal no matter if it was at the top end or lower end of my budget. Ended up in an little older model than I wanted but feel I got a decent deal.

Oh yeah, was ready to purchase quickly - saw the listing, called the guy, drove 7 hours that night, inspected and test drive the next morning and pulled it home. Probably talked to people about 10 different boats within one day of when they were listed and most people already had multiple appointments for showing the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by JCM 1420 View Post
              When I decided to buy in the middle of the season in a hot market I spent a few hours a day looking under every rock.
              It amazes me how many people don't return calls about something they have posted for sale!

Comment

Intracoastal is NOT brackish! That is SALTY. aint no way
                Bailey
                '02 X-9
                Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

So I bought almost the same boat earlier this year, 99 Maristar, 750 hours. Here's my input:

- Without being able to hear your 'whine', I would call it normal. My boat has a very similar sound. There are many posts about later boats changing the trans fluid from ATF to motor oil to reduce noise. I plan on just sticking with the ATF and believe this is normal. My boat has no rattle noise in reverse, I suspect something is loose on yours.

- Do not under estimate the cost to fix those gauges. It is way more than than the $200 he says in the video. You should expect to spend at least $500 - 1000. More if you want someone else to do all the work. The gauges are the worst aspect of this whole boat. You should also expect that the fuel sender in the tank is broken and not working. Typical for this boat.

- Rough upholstery is pretty much normal on a boat this old. You should plan on replacing all of it. While some of them look like they might be holding together, take a closer look at the seams on the top and you'll see they are starting to tear / pull apart. Plan on about $3-4K in upholstery and not a quick job.

- On the good side, it seems like it is mechanically in good shape, except the salt water issue. If this was truly a fresh water boat, I would feel good about the 900 hours. Since it is in FL I would guess that it has salt water exposures and more issues will show up soon.

You asked about the $15K price. You are in the highest of the high market for pricing right now. It is boating season and this year since people can't go to pools, take trips, etc... boat pricing is crazy high. Off season, off peak, last year, that is a $10K or less boat. Right now, I don't think he'll have any trouble getting $15K. It is up to you, but if you have the money and the time, I'd find one with fewer hours, no salt, and maybe slightly better upholstery.

If I had a boat with a bunch of issues and wanted to get decent money out of it, I'd be selling it right now. Super high demand means nearly everything is selling and I can get rid of a boat with multiple problems for decent money.

Comment

Not a chance it's worth close to that. Just the saltwater aspect of a 20 year old boat would be a reason to run.

An interior is $5K - $8K depending on where you live and what you want.
                    The rattle is possibly the flex plate. To change that you'll need to pull the trans. As stated above it could be rattle from the fluid but on a 900 hour boat I'd be nervous about it being fluid versus oil in the trans.
                    The gauges are the result of a failed MDC. You'll need to do a full gauge conversion on that model/year boat. Not that expensive if you do it yourself but definitely a significant job.
                    900 hours on a saltwater engine is a lifetime. I'd bet the manifolds are toast as well as the engine or they both will be soon.
                    If the trailer has been used in saltwater it better be galvanized or it's trash. If it is galvanized I'll bet the brakes aren't working and the tires are shot.

This is not the boat for you unless you get it really, really cheap and $15K is not cheap for this boat. I see this boat being worth about $7K if you're looking for hobby restoring a boat. Someone may pay him $15K for it but it wouldn't be me or any of my friends/family looking for a boat. Keep looking.....

Comment

Walk away quickly.

93 190
                      (safe click)
                      John 14:6
                      (safe click)

Comment

So I am continuing my search - this one turned up a trouble light and exhaust issue. I don't m ind some issues but this one keeps looking like more and more trouble. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by flyski View Post
                          So I am continuing my search - this one turned up a trouble light and exhaust issue. I don't m ind some issues but this one keeps looking like more and more trouble. Thanks for the advice!
                          You made a good call to walk away. It did not look like it had been as well cared for on the interior and for me there were to many "New" parts on it..

Don't rush your purchase, one summer lost is a small price to pay if you buy the wrong boat and have many summers of heartache and a money pit of a boat. Trust me I know...
                          Cheers

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR

Comment

Originally posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
                            You made a good call to walk away. It did not look like it had been as well cared for on the interior and for me there were to many "New" parts on it..

Don't rush your purchase, one summer lost is a small price to pay if you buy the wrong boat and have many summers of heartache and a money pit of a boat. Trust me I know...
                            here here... lots of folks will be selling in the next year or so... lots.. because the newness fell off.. RV's, Boats and pools will be all fire sale starting in 18-24 months...
                            I told my wife we should sell the boat now and then pick up a newer one in a year or so for cheap... but then I would have to do all this looking and blaaaaa

Comment

Yeah I've been thinking about what the market is going to look like when the noobs sell their boats to get back to other travel and sports. I've already seen one 2019 Malibu for sale with 52 hours on it at a dealer. No break in oil change, interior was filthy and the dock rash looked like it was acquired from Ron Jeremy.

Comment

Working...
                              X