Accessory (depth finder) connection question? Where would you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessory (depth finder) connection question? Where would you

Hey guys, I have an 06 X2 that did not come factory with a depth finder.. I know.. odd. So I have ordered a through hull sounder that will be here today. I was just curious how yall thought would be the best way to connect it to power. I know there is a ton of connections behind the console that dont go to anything (I guess just optional if the boat was ordered with a certain package). Forgive the ignorance here, just trying to figure out the best route that I hopefully didnt have to run a wire all the way to the battery. Thanks for the help!

Boat should have 1-2 spare aux switches that you can use for this purpose.

Comment

Under your dash, or on the forward facing side of the kick panel under your dash & behind your bow seat, there should be both a positive and ground bus bar. You can get clean power there. Make sure you use an appropriately sized inline fuse on your power feed from the positive bus bar to your device.

The positive bus bar should be powered down when the master battery switch is off, so I would wire there rather than to an accessory switch, unless
      1. Your depth finder doesn’t have a power switch of it’s own and you want to have a switch on it
      or
      2. You don’t mind having to possibly switch multiple switches (Aux switch on dash + power switch on depth finder) to turn it on.

Personally, I prefer to have as few switches as possible for a device (ideally 1), because it eliminates points of failure, limits diagnosis steps when something isn’t working, simplifies the circuit, and significantly reduces the possibility of something accidentally getting turned off when I want it on. For something like a depth finder, that draws relatively little power, even if it had no power switch of it’s own, I’d want it connected to unstitched power and always active when the main batt switch is on.

—Sky
      ------------------------------------------------
      2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
      2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

Originally posted by skydyvyr View Post
        Under your dash, or on the forward facing side of the kick panel under your dash & behind your bow seat, there should be both a positive and ground bus bar. You can get clean power there. Make sure you use an appropriately sized inline fuse on your power feed from the positive bus bar to your device.

The positive bus bar should be powered down when the master battery switch is off, so I would wire there rather than to an accessory switch, unless
        1. Your depth finder doesn’t have a power switch of it’s own and you want to have a switch on it
        or
        2. You don’t mind having to possibly switch multiple switches (Aux switch on dash + power switch on depth finder) to turn it on.

Personally, I prefer to have as few switches as possible for a device (ideally 1), because it eliminates points of failure, limits diagnosis steps when something isn’t working, simplifies the circuit, and significantly reduces the possibility of something accidentally getting turned off when I want it on. For something like a depth finder, that draws relatively little power, even if it had no power switch of it’s own, I’d want it connected to unstitched power and always active when the main batt switch is on.

—Sky
        Good word, Thanks Sky!

Comment

Working...
        X