Mooring cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mooring cover

I have a 1999 prostar 190 and I use the original Mastercraft cover (excellent shape!). The issue is when I leave in the water when we’re on vaca and put the cover on and it rains, water puddles on each side in the rear. I do have the poles and I pull the drawstring in the rear but still pools up if it rains. I really do not want to put snaps all the way around the boat either. Is there anything else I can do, or am I doing something wrong?

Originally posted by linzandscott View Post
    I have a 1999 prostar 190 and I use the original Mastercraft cover (excellent shape!). The issue is when I leave in the water when we’re on vaca and put the cover on and it rains, water puddles on each side in the rear. I do have the poles and I pull the drawstring in the rear but still pools up if it rains. I really do not want to put snaps all the way around the boat either. Is there anything else I can do, or am I doing something wrong?
    There is a thread here on this very topic. A fellow made a really nice and simple support frame.

The more you search and read on the forum the more good stuff you'll find.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

I use PVC pipe 1/2 or 3/4" - get some T's for the hand rail and cut the T with a hacksaw so that it just snaps onto the handrails loosely then add in some moleskin to tighten that up.

Then you need to adjust your bows length - easy to shorten them so start a bit long and bow them up and snap them into the rails. If they snap a bit tight or loose you can heat them with a heat gun and open/close them.

You do not want them too long - if you make them too long they will raise the tarp up off the side so the drawstring doesn't work great, but you also don't want them too short so cut bit by bit until you get a good bow.

For the front - PVC that slips over the pylon - and ideally get a reducer I think its a 3" to 2" reducer so that the pressure sits on the rope collar not the floor.

If you're leaving the boat for a long period of time you want to make sure to secure the bows upright - I use a strap from the bow eye across my PVC pylon pole to the rear tow point - tension that up then I use zip ties to connect each of my PVC bows to the strap.

As you see in his post you don't want the bows terribly high - too high won't let the tarp come down far enough on the sides.

Comment

^^^This. I had the same issue. I went a little more complicated since I did not want to put holes in a brand new cover. 3" PVC over ski pylon. Just over the dog house I put a "T", then 6" more with a cap of the 3" PVC. Run 2" over the dog house into another "T" just before the rear bench. Take that out 25" or so and run a 90 elbow to the floor. I can disassemble it in seconds and it all stores under the rear bench.

"MAKE SURE IT IS SNUG" you will end up with red in saying "Charlotte PVC Company" on your dog house vinyl... I still can't get that S&(# off.

Comment

Clean that pipe off - acetone strips the logos.

Comment

Have you tried to lift the motor box? If you have MC cover when it’s tight may be a bit difficult. I use a short paddle hard to reach in that far with head an arm. I have a 197.

Comment

After you use these pipes you could spray your canvas with water proof type spray. Like they use for camping tents

Comment

Call Cory at Evolution Covers, and get one that first better than OEM, looks great, beautiful quality, and service. You will not be sorry

Comment

Originally posted by rbuss4 View Post
                  Call Cory at Evolution Covers, and get one that first better than OEM, looks great, beautiful quality, and service. You will not be sorry
                  Definitely an option, and one I'd recommend, if it is in the budget.
                  Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                      I use PVC pipe 1/2 or 3/4" - get some T's for the hand rail and cut the T with a hacksaw so that it just snaps onto the handrails loosely then add in some moleskin to tighten that up.
                      I know we're not building a Rolex here but I'd still love to see some photos of this.

Comment

Working...
                      X