No announcement yet.

Damper explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you tried taking the tires off the trailer and lowering it to the ground before trying the truck bed engine crane?

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post
      Would it be fair to think about the root cause of this failure in addition to fixing it? The chosen springs are meant to dampen the vibrations to a certain design case, so why did it blow apart? You didn't mention springs rattling around before the failure & it doesn't seem like it's old enough to just say that years of use caused some things to degrade.. is something else in the driveline providing abnormal stress?

IE: if this is replaced, what are the chances it just blows apart again? Maybe just overthinking it, surfing loaded down causing the problem.
      The springs may dampen vibrations, but the plate still has to deal with the stresses from hard acceleration that deform it.

Lower mass is great for faster acceleration/less inertia, but they really need to make these parts stronger.

Comment

I have not looked to find the old threads but the 2005 model year did have weak damper plates. Lots of low hour failures back in the first several years. I have an 05 197 with the 6.0 LQ9 and it developed a rattle at around 300 hours. I got nervous as it got worse and changed it around 350 hours. When I pulled mine a couple springs were loose and the plate had a small crack. I do not think it is a skiing vs surf load thing, I think it was just a bad batch of damper plates. I put a heavy duty one in mine from DIM and it has been quiet and smooth since, I now have just over 1600 hours on the boat with no further issues. Take a look at this plate, I know it has served me well.

https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140018
        2005 197 TT #77 LQ9

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
          The springs may dampen vibrations, but the plate still has to deal with the stresses from hard acceleration that deform it.

Lower mass is great for faster acceleration/less inertia, but they really need to make these parts stronger.

Oh I agree that the plate is under a lot of stress but I was mostly just trying to speculate the true failure mode & if it had to do with the damper plate not effectively dampening. It looks like the center completely tore out in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmx2 View Post
            I have not looked to find the old threads but the 2005 model year did have weak damper plates. Lots of low hour failures back in the first several years. I have an 05 197 with the 6.0 LQ9 and it developed a rattle at around 300 hours. I got nervous as it got worse and changed it around 350 hours. When I pulled mine a couple springs were loose and the plate had a small crack. I do not think it is a skiing vs surf load thing, I think it was just a bad batch of damper plates. I put a heavy duty one in mine from DIM and it has been quiet and smooth since, I now have just over 1600 hours on the boat with no further issues. Take a look at this plate, I know it has served me well.

https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140018
            what year did they improve them?

Comment

I am going to disagree on the ski/surf load. The harmonic balancer and the dampener plate absorb/even out the pressure of the combustion stroke. Heavy load high gearing not great ur lugging the engine at surf speed. All that pressure being transferred to dampner springs and the trans is pushing back with its own forces. My opinion on hours of reading, i compare it to driving car up hill and trans downshifts, for higher rpms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by kman View Post
                Update: We got the motor out using a lift in the back of my truck method. Very nerve racking, but actually worked pretty well. Just took our time and moved slow. Getting it back in is going to be the bigger challenge.
                Dude your crane made my pulse rate go up. You can rent a gantry lift

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                  Dude your crane made my pulse rate go up. You can rent a gantry lift
                  It was actually pretty solid, it's was just a little unnerving to see the motor that high in the air. The gantrys for rent around here at least, aren't big enough. They're only 9ft wide, and I need at least 10 for this boat and trailer. I did find somebody that has a big gantry in a garage that I may use to put it back in.
                  2005 X45 - L18

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                    I assume you tried taking the tires off the trailer and lowering it to the ground before trying the truck bed engine crane?
                    No, didn't try that, but that would only get me a few inches because of the back of the trailer that goes around the prop is only a few inches off the ground.
                    2005 X45 - L18

Comment

ron tanis did a video on damper plates, I believe he sells them too. here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fylwfmJgaXY

Comment

Following. I may need this in the future but hope not.
                        2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
                          Following. I may need this in the future but hope not.
                          if your surfing it will be sooner than later

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                            if your surfing it will be sooner than later
                            Are you saying that because of the age of my boat and it really wasn't designed to surf or if this a general statement applicable to all boats (new and old) that are used for surfing?

I would guess the newer boats are better designed to take the amount of weight people put in them.
                            2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

Nothing wrong with your boat or engine. I’m just assuming you have the bad designed plate because of your year model 2002. Surfing puts an extra load on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post
                                It looks like the center completely tore out in this case.
                                That's basically what happened to the flex plate in my van- it developed an intermittent vibration, then my starter wouldn't engage, but I guess I didn't look far enough into the area, to see any fracturing. When it went, I was going uphill and suddenly had no power to the transmission. Fortunately, it didn't chop up anything, other than the damage to the starter, which prevented the Bendix from moving.

I saw the old part- looked like a way to save money, more than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X