No announcement yet.

2019 X-Star Ballast Fill Alternator Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thought so. I was making sure people understand that the pulley will help get the 95 amps at lower rpm but won’t gain any extra amps.

As far as the electrical system comments. Yes it might produce more heat. I wonder if you could spin the air filter 180 so the sensor would be at opposite side of alternator then. You do need bigger charge cable to battery. Maybe program ecu to not give rpm warning for fast fill boats. Also if you have the 170 amp alternator and the boat only needs 130 for stuff at that moment that’s all it will draw. The extra amps don’t go anywhere. I know I’m drawing equal to or more than 95 amps now when boat is running, 3 amps on, 3 ballast pumps because the voltage drops which means the batteries are suppling the extra amps not covered by the alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post
      Ok thought so. I was making sure people understand that the pulley will help get the 95 amps at lower rpm but won’t gain any extra amps.

As far as the electrical system comments. Yes it might produce more heat. I wonder if you could spin the air filter 180 so the sensor would be at opposite side of alternator then. You do need bigger charge cable to battery. Maybe program ecu to not give rpm warning for fast fill boats. Also if you have the 170 amp alternator and the boat only needs 130 for stuff at that moment that’s all it will draw. The extra amps don’t go anywhere. I know I’m drawing equal to or more than 95 amps now when boat is running, 3 amps on, 3 ballast pumps because the voltage drops which means the batteries are suppling the extra amps not covered by the alternator.
      100% - The alternator design on a higher output alternator is completely different, Stator windings, Rectifiers are all different. Without question it will produce more heat.
      if you see a voltage drop when filling ballast then the alternator is not keeping up with the pumps, and that current is coming from the batteries.

The kit from ilmor Gen 5 Alternator Upgrade Kit PART # 50H-0205 what really has me curious the ECU cable and it's function. everything else seems straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3D View Post
        100% - The alternator design on a higher output alternator is completely different, Stator windings, Rectifiers are all different. Without question it will produce more heat.
        if you see a voltage drop when filling ballast then the alternator is not keeping up with the pumps, and that current is coming from the batteries.

The kit from ilmor Gen 5 Alternator Upgrade Kit PART # 50H-0205 what really has me curious the ECU cable and it's function. everything else seems straightforward.
        ECU cable?? I’ve put a couple of them in, and there wasn’t any “ecu cable”. Just the alternator, a different belt, and a larger charge back wire.

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
          ECU cable?? I’ve put a couple of them in, and there wasn’t any “ecu cable”. Just the alternator, a different belt, and a larger charge back wire.
          Thanks as always, the ECU Cable was what Ilmor told me was included as I was questioning what was included due to the $1,800 price.
          https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/ge...bb1d1fdd&_ss=r
          https://www.ilmor.com/product/3790/2...or-upgrade-kit

I think I could live with $1,000, but knowing what an alternator+batt cable+belt costs, I can't bring myself to do $1,800

I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but...
          Mystic3D
          TT Enthusiast
          Last edited by Mystic3D; 06-26-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Yup agreed the bigger ones are different. I think this can be done for $600 with buying $500 alternator direct from mech man. Maybe you could take stock one to send in as a core and save money. I think that’s all that is needed to do the swap on the 5000 (5.7) motor.

Comment

Does anyone know what the dealer charges for the for the MPI version of the Illmor alternator upgrade kit?

https://www.ilmor.com/product/3789/1...or-upgrade-kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe I’ve found an alternative to the mech man alternator and expensive kit from mastercraft. At $1800 it was just too pricey for me. You can buy the mech man 170 amp directly from them here for $500

https://www.mechman.com/high-output-...10DN-10SI-12SI

Or this 150 amp alternator from Amazon made for an indmar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QF9HBJK...H7Y1AET421GTSM

You will need new charge and ground cables as the stocks are 6 gauge (on my 5000 5.7 motor). You need a red cable 42” long with 5/16” ring lugs on either end. Also a black cable 39” long with 3/8” one end and 1/4” other end.

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/2-g...able-with-ends

Tools needed for the job are the following:
                10mm socket
                13mm-15mm socket
                13mm wrench
                15mm wrench
                17mm socket
                3/8” ratchet
                1/2” breaker bar

Use the breaker bar with 14mm socket to move tensioner pulley and drop belt off alternator. Remove 13mm bolt and 15mm bolt/nut. Free alternator and remove positive 13mm positive cable nut and 10mm ground cable nut. Remove 15mm nuts off positive post near transmission and 17/15mm nuts off ground post slightly lower than positive post. Fish out old wires and feed new then reconnect everything. Note this detail is for the 5000 (5.7) motors. It might be slightly different for 5.3 and 6.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post
                  I believe I’ve found an alternative to the mech man alternator and expensive kit from mastercraft. At $1800 it was just too pricey for me. You can buy the mech man 170 amp directly from them here for $500
                  Thanks for this!
                  Which alternator did you go with?(amazon or Mechman?)

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3D View Post
                    Thanks for this!
                    Which alternator did you go with?(amazon or Mechman?)

I went with the one off Amazon. It has a year warranty so figured it was worth the try. Most of these components don’t fail often. Worst case you have a spare as the original that comes off and wiring is upgraded.

Comment

Do the newer boats (2020) come with the bigger alternator? I'm still waiting for the fast fill pumps to come back into stock, but when the do arrive, I'll have 5 pumps running to fill ballast.

Comment

Yes. 2020 has the 180amp alternator.
                        2020 X22
                        2019 XT22
                        2017 XT20

Comment

Awesome, thanks.

Comment

Did some testing with new alternator. Stock 95 amp read 11.8 volts at idle and 13 at 1800 rpm and new 150 amp read 13.2 at idle and 14.5 at 1100 rpm with all pumps running.

Comment

Working...
                            X