Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 X-Star Ballast Fill Alternator Replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Batteries are key! Dealers put in their own pick of batteries. Mine came with optima 31 crank and 27 house. All I had to upgrade was alternator and wiring.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post

      Informative video. Wow that’s more than the mech man one at $800. So far my 150 amp one has been perfect for $125. New cables cost $40. Great option for 20 amps less
      Went ahead and ordered the same alternator for $153 bucks. Was going to buy the 800 dollar one but money saved is going to towards a new Rolex instead lol. Thanks for link on your post on page 2 on where to buy the upgraded wire. Hopefully it fits my MCX engine with no problems. Did you have a fuse installed on the positive cable between the alternator and starter?
      Last edited by gwozhog; 06-12-2022, 10:59 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by gwozhog View Post

        Went ahead and ordered the same alternator for $153 bucks. Was going to buy the 800 dollar one but money saved is going to towards a new Rolex instead lol. Thanks for link on your post on page 2 on where to buy the upgraded wire. Hopefully it fits my MCX engine with no problems. Did you have a fuse installed on the positive cable between the alternator and starter?
        Good deal! It should bolt up just fine. I don’t have any inline fuses on it. I did upgrade stock 6 gauge wire to 2 gauge for the amps to distribution blocks for + and - not a single issue yet and much more voltage when running my fast fill ballast pumps.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post

          Good deal! It should bolt up just fine. I don’t have any inline fuses on it. I did upgrade stock 6 gauge wire to 2 gauge for the amps to distribution blocks for + and - not a single issue yet and much more voltage when running my fast fill ballast pumps.
          I spoke with a Porsche mechanic today and he said dont worry about a fuse too.

          Comment


          • #50
            One thing I learned about after market is that it’s never a perfect fit. The Chinese alternator had a insert that I had to cut with a hacksaw. Not too big of a deal but A little frustrating because my blade was dull and it was hotter than hell outside. My new Forum wire should arrive tonight just in time for some boating this weekend.

            Comment


            • #51
              Damn pain in the ***. I guess that’s for fitting to older motor. Dropped right in on my 5000 Ilmor. Either way you will be pleased with it once running and all those extra amps

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post
                Damn pain in the ***. I guess that’s for fitting to older motor. Dropped right in on my 5000 Ilmor. Either way you will be pleased with it once running and all those extra amps
                Gets even worse. Alternator does not work. Completely lost faith in Chinese parts now. Reinstalled my old alternator and shipping the other one back keeping my fingers crossed for a refund.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Found a company called JS alternators that are all made in the usa. They sell a marine 170 amp alt for only 250 bucks. Hopefully will have better luck.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Wow what a bummer. I will have to look up that company to see what they offer. I know my motor is the newer 350 and maybe the mcx is a different setup

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Has anyone done the alternator 0 gauge power cable upgrade for the 7.4L Ilmor?

                      I preordered the cables based on a post from this thread but unfortunately they are short.
                      Last edited by jackpine; 09-23-2022, 10:29 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X