X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystic3D
    replied
    Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post
    That’s interesting info. I will talk to my dealer buddy and see if I can get all the info on kit. I have material to insulate the air intake sensor. Might work to prevent a new one. The ecu harness program has me curious. That might be related to fast fill boats with warning message. Mine is a non fast fill 4.3” screen XT22 so I’m thinking it may not need the reprogram.
    That makes a lot of sense, there is a low voltage alarm on mine, and it's Fast Fill
    Do you run into the same low voltage issues on non-fast fill?
    if you get more info, let us know, I would be inclined to do it for $500-$600.

Here is the Maine Mechman - Not sure about bolt pattern and pulley size, will need to take a look when I get the boat back
    https://www.mechman.com/high-output-...10DN-10SI-12SI

Leave a comment:

• Wakejunkie
    replied
    That’s interesting info. I will talk to my dealer buddy and see if I can get all the info on kit. I have material to insulate the air intake sensor. Might work to prevent a new one. The ecu harness program has me curious. That might be related to fast fill boats with warning message. Mine is a non fast fill 4.3” screen XT22 so I’m thinking it may not need the reprogram.

Leave a comment:

• Mystic3D
    replied
    Originally posted by Wakejunkie View Post
    Yes I got that same price quote for it at $1800!! They sell to ilmor and then they mark it up. You can buy it directly from mech man for $500. I wonder if you send the stock one back as a core could it be cheaper. I spoke to them on the phone about the differences between regular and marine is only anodize dip it so it’s water resistant. It can get a splash and still work. They said I could use a regular alternator just may not be covered by boat insurance if something happened. If you get the high output from them all I think you need to change is charge wire to battery. It’s a mod I will add during the off season.
    It's not quite that simple,
    Upgrade the gauge on the positive post on the alternator = easy
    Since the 180 amp generates more heat it will trip the Air Intake Sensor, there is something you need to rotate 90 degrees and recalibrate the sensor, sounds like a dealer procedure.
    When taking to Ilmor it was also an ECU harness that was included, not clear on the why there?

Leave a comment:

• Wakejunkie
    replied
    Yes I got that same price quote for it at $1800!! They sell to ilmor and then they mark it up. You can buy it directly from mech man for $500. I wonder if you send the stock one back as a core could it be cheaper. I spoke to them on the phone about the differences between regular and marine is only anodize dip it so it’s water resistant. It can get a splash and still work. They said I could use a regular alternator just may not be covered by boat insurance if something happened. If you get the high output from them all I think you need to change is charge wire to battery. It’s a mod I will add during the off season.

Leave a comment:

• Mystic3D
    replied
    Okay after asking around a bit mcpartsdepot added the part for me, but I did not know the price until they posted it. I also asked the MC Dealer and after the alternator replacement they found there is a intake temp sensor that needs to be turned 90 degrees so it doesn't trip the alarm. Long story short a bit to much $$ for me to justify $1,800 for an alternator+cables+ECU harness just for the part.
    So upgrade is off my list.

ilmor Gen 5 Alternator Upgrade Kit PART # 50H-0205

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    replied
    Yes, below, not above - was my typing was not catching up to my thinking clearly. I will let you know if it goes through as a warranty repair.

Leave a comment:

• SmithX30
    replied
    Originally posted by badinlake View Post
    So, I've been getting since I got my boat the "warning" to keep my RPM's above 1800rpm while filling ballasts. I do that, but also will get an "alarm" in the middle that I would just dismiss.

Had a dealer technician out today to go over some warranty issues and do the 100 hour service. He mentioned the alarm was a known issue and mentioned an alternator/bracket replacement that resolves the problem and was a warranty coverage item.

I hadn't picked up this on this board (granted I haven't read all threads - yet), so I thought I would check and see if others have heard of this?
    Did they say the upgrade/replacement was a covered warranty item? Would love to upgrade and not have to just idle around while filling or emptying. I have always understood the that it was warning to keep it under 1500 rpm. I had to replace the house battery this summer because the voltage dropping too low and tripping the low voltage alarm while idling out to surf and filling. I think I had a bad cell. Seemed to solve the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Mystic3D
    replied
    Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
    Doesn’t the warning say to keep RPMs BELOW 1500?? Every one I’ve ever seen says to keep it below. This is because the high draw brings voltage slightly below 12v, and the ECU ignores the low voltage until the engine is above 1500rpm. So if you idle while filling ballast, you won’t get the alarm....

That said, they did upgrade the alternator in 2020 to a mechman 180amp. It has twice the charging power of the 2018 and 2019 alternator. In my 2020 I can fill/empty at any rpm without any issue. So I am guessing the replacement will solve your issue.
    That's a great callout, adding to my list of upgrades a mechman 180A alternator, hoping it's plug and play.

Leave a comment:

• FourFourty
    replied
    Doesn’t the warning say to keep RPMs BELOW 1500?? Every one I’ve ever seen says to keep it below. This is because the high draw brings voltage slightly below 12v, and the ECU ignores the low voltage until the engine is above 1500rpm. So if you idle while filling ballast, you won’t get the alarm....

That said, they did upgrade the alternator in 2020 to a mechman 180amp. It has twice the charging power of the 2018 and 2019 alternator. In my 2020 I can fill/empty at any rpm without any issue. So I am guessing the replacement will solve your issue.

Leave a comment:

• badinlake
    started a topic 2019 X-Star Ballast Fill Alternator Replacement

2019 X-Star Ballast Fill Alternator Replacement

So, I've been getting since I got my boat the "warning" to keep my RPM's above 1800rpm while filling ballasts. I do that, but also will get an "alarm" in the middle that I would just dismiss.

Had a dealer technician out today to go over some warranty issues and do the 100 hour service. He mentioned the alarm was a known issue and mentioned an alternator/bracket replacement that resolves the problem and was a warranty coverage item.

I hadn't picked up this on this board (granted I haven't read all threads - yet), so I thought I would check and see if others have heard of this?
Working...
X