Under Platform Ladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Platform Ladder?

We have all kinds of people we enjoy our boat with (youngsters-oldsters) and feel that a ladder to assist getting onto the swim platform would be helpful.

I know there has been a thread or two about it (can't locate them) but am considering purchasing a Garelick until and mounting under my fiberglass swim platform.

https://www.garelick.com/Under-Platform-Sliding-Ladder

Question, anyone know how thick the fiberglass swim platforms are? It looks like this unit has six mounting holes total and want to get the longest screws possible without poking through the top side of the platform.
    Former: 2007 X15

I had one on my '16 X30 and loved it. I'm planning to add one to my '15 X10 this winter. The only way this is going to work for you is to come through the top of the fiberglass platform. It simply isn't thick enough to mount without going all the way through, especially to hold someone's weight.

Comment

I am super interested in this thread so please keep us up to date on anything you learn during the process. We have someone with a hip issue and a re-boarding ladder would be a game changer. Have considered adding one to my 2019 XT22 with fiberglass swim platform, and just haven't had the time to focus on figuring out the details.
      Thanks!

Comment

I understand your desire to have a ladder, but I would be concerned the ladder is going to affect the surf wave when fully loaded with ballast.

Comment

Originally posted by John Johnson View Post
          I understand your desire to have a ladder, but I would be concerned the ladder is going to affect the surf wave when fully loaded with ballast.
          This has crossed my mind...

Comment

I doubt ladder would drag when surfing. Should be a non issue. Look at how much space is between your platform and the water next time your surfing.

Comment

What about constructing a rope ladder? Maybe attach it to the transom handles and roll it up onto the platform when not in use.

Comment

I am interested in this too, because it's getting harder for my wife to get back on the boat. I usually sink the platform under the water by fully loading the ballast so she can kind of swim up onto it, but a boarding ladder would certainly be more convenient. My biggest concern is whether it would affect the surf wake. The platform is at least 3-4 inches under the water when surfing.

Comment

Wasn't this a factory option starting in 2019? I would think if you used the factory version and mounted properly there shouldn't be interference with wave. I feel sure MC worked that part out.

Comment

We have the factory ladder on our X22. It’s above the wave when loaded. But I’ve never had more than 7 people in my boat. All skinny ��

Comment

Originally posted by LBJAL View Post
                      We have the factory ladder on our X22. It’s above the wave when loaded. But I’ve never had more than 7 people in my boat. All skinny ��
                      Your ladder is above the wave when loaded - meaning you can see it when you're surfing? Our X22 wave is coming right off the platform and we can't see anything underneath at all when stock ballast is full and only 2 adults, 2 kids, no lead. We also have the factory ladder.
                      2022 XSTARS
                      2020 X22
                      2019 XT22
                      2017 XT20

Comment

Originally posted by MCOR View Post
                        Your ladder is above the wave when loaded - meaning you can see it when you're surfing? Our X22 wave is coming right off the platform and we can't see anything underneath at all when stock ballast is full and only 2 adults, 2 kids, no lead. We also have the factory ladder.
                        MCOR and LBJAL, your X22s have under platform ladders from the factory? Can you take a couple of pics of them and how they are mounted for us?

Any idea who the manufacturer is and model number?

Comment

different boat ('04 X2) but I added a ladder to mine a couple years back and it has been great for all ages and physical abilities. I will add there is a LOT Of torsional pressure on the ladder and I would not trust just screws into the platform. I drilled thru and added a strip of aluminum on the top side of the platform to distribute the weight/torsion and used stainless steel hardware to mount. Just a thought.

as a precaution while trailering, I use bungee straps (orange shown) from the trailer up to the rear tow eye to prevent possible deployment of ladder on a rough road.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Upnorth07 View Post
                            MCOR and LBJAL, your X22s have under platform ladders from the factory? Can you take a couple of pics of them and how they are mounted for us?

Any idea who the manufacturer is and model number?
                            The platform has built-in reinforced stringers where the ladder is mounted. It is a Garelick product, but don’t know the exact model as it’s not on the ladder. It does look like model 19643 that you’ve pointed out. Here are the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B4D449AA-C337-4CEA-A852-9202E20C2041.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2406272

Name:	368DFDA5-24C8-469F-BD3A-3A3567E0C58A.jpeg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2406273

Name:	CE85083E-D2FD-4C2C-A3BE-8E270C4F55F2.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2406274
                            2022 XSTARS
                            2020 X22
                            2019 XT22
                            2017 XT20

Comment

Originally posted by MCOR View Post
                              The platform has built-in reinforced stringers where the ladder is mounted. It is a Garelick product, but don’t know the exact model as it’s not on the ladder. It does look like model 19643 that you’ve pointed out. Here are the pics.

[ATTACH]198968[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]198970[/ATTACH]
                              Wow, thank you for the pics! I assumed MC would use Garelick and lucky you have reinforcement on the bottom of your platform.

And it does not seem to impact your surf wave (I realize our boats are different)?

Comment

Working...
                              X