Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rgardjr1
    replied
    I wanted to follow up on my earlier post. I took a look at my fuel regulator and it didn't have the tab for the static ground like the one pictured above has. Not sure if the tab was added to later versions of the pump or it varies by model. I've been running without the green static ground wire since August of 2014.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    Originally posted by mrm2083 View Post
    What did you end up doing with the extra wire?
    Nothing yet. Have done the mod to the wiring harness.

Leave a comment:

• ValveCoverGasket
    replied
    yup that one oughta do it! you can buy the knockoffs in multi packs - check ebay also - no need to pay $20 for that...

there is a thicker version (blue handle) thats better for slightly more prying the green ones like the break pretty easily.

also, for crimping the new ones it should be a two part op, the seal with the round and the wire with the fold over.
    using something like this (again, buy cheaper knockoffs since youre not using these day in and day out..)
    https://www.amazon.com/Metri-Pack-Cr.../dp/B011TNNNKK

Leave a comment:

• mrm2083
    replied
    What did you end up doing with the extra wire?

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    Found it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Metri-...360005&sr=8-15

The connector at the end of the wiring harness is a Metri-Pack 150, 4 cavity female sockets. I'm going to give this a spin.

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    Originally posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
    can you post a quick pic of the end of the connector?

id also have no qualms about cutting and shortening if using some small bare crimps, the right crimpers, and good impregnated heatshrink
    and stagger the cuts a little to not have a clump of splices in one spot
    Here is a picture of the original connector. The new one is identical but has 4 wires instead of two.

Yeah, I could cut with wires and stagger the slices but I thought if it easy to de-pin it would look a little more professional (MCOCD kicking in).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ValveCoverGasket
    replied
    can you post a quick pic of the end of the connector?

id also have no qualms about cutting and shortening if using some small bare crimps, the right crimpers, and good impregnated heatshrink
    and stagger the cuts a little to not have a clump of splices in one spot

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    Has anyone shortened the fuel pump wiring harness? Both the original and now my new one are 8 feet long. I only need about 2.5 feet. They probably make them 8 feet long because they use the same harness on direct drive boats that have to go from the engine harness to the back of the boat to the fuel tank. I don't really want to cut out 6.5 feet and slice it back together. I would rather de-pin the connector that goes into the pump, cut out 6.5 feet and re-pin the connector. Anyone every done this? Is there a special tool to get the sockets out of the connector?

Leave a comment:

• rgardjr1
    replied
    I went back through my emails and here's the instructions I received from Charlotte Ski Boats back in 2014:

"Below is the wiring harness instructions.

The new harness adapter has 2- 12 volt wires and 2 ground wires. You will have to cut the original fuel pump harness plug off. Splice the 12 volt wire to both 12 volt wires on the new harness. Splice the ground to both ground wires on the new harness.

If there is a green wire on the old fuel pump plug that runs over to the fuel fill- cut it, it is not needed.

This is not hard, Tech should be able to look at it and know what to do.

**Disclaimer: It is recommended that you have a trained technician install this harness and pump. Charlotte Ski Boats will not be held responsible for fire or explosion due to improper installation.

Thanks,

Chris

“Your MasterCraft Parts Guy”"

I will take a look at my regulator the next weekend and see if there is a tab to hook up the green ground to.

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    Just got off the phone with Inboard Garage. They confirmed the green wire from the original wiring harness does get connected to the blade on top of the regulator of the new fuel pump.

I can't say enough great things about these guys. They had the part and shipped it out within a day. They are very knowledgeable on all things MC. I will definitely go back for parts and knowledge needs. Unfortunately, they are several thousand miles from me so taking the boat for service is not in the cards.

Keep up the great work Inboard Garage (www.inboardgarage.com).

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    I traced the green wire in the old original fuel pump and it's definitely a ground. It bolts to the underside of the fuel pump top plate. So it appears to be a fuel pump chassis ground. Should I cut the green wire out of the original connector and terminate it with a shade connector and attached it to the blade coming off of the new fuel pump's regulator? See the picture below of the new fuel pump and you can see the blade attached to the top of the regualator.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mrm2083
    replied
    Don’t remember which wire it was but I remember also having one left over connection that I just didn’t use when I installed my new fuel module. Not sure if I did it the right way but it works. Would also like to know what we are supposed to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• prostar205
    replied
    Originally posted by JimN View Post
    The only green wire I know of near the tank is a ground wire, which IS supposed to be connected, as a way to prevent sparks from static electricity.
    I was thinking of connecting it to the grounding blade on the top of the regulator.

Leave a comment:

• JimN
    replied
    Originally posted by rgardjr View Post
    It’s been a few years since I installed mine, but I’m pretty sure the green wire is just left disconnected. I received emailed instructions, but I don’t have access to that computer right now.
    The only green wire I know of near the tank is a ground wire, which IS supposed to be connected, as a way to prevent sparks from static electricity.

Leave a comment:

• rgardjr
    replied
    It’s been a few years since I installed mine, but I’m pretty sure the green wire is just left disconnected. I received emailed instructions, but I don’t have access to that computer right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X