07 XStar Fuel Tank Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 XStar Fuel Tank Replacement

I have reviewed the site and read multiple threads on fuel tank replacement and splitting the boat but looking to see if there is any recent knowledge on the best way to go about this endeavor.

Big picture had an incident that punctured the fuel tank.

I am having trouble sourcing a fuel tank from MC and wondering if anyone has contacts at MC or knows how to source a new tank or similar replacement. We have developed 2 COAs to replace the tank.

COA 1: Remove the engine and slide out the old tank and replace with new tank.
    Questions: Is this feasible? Is there enough room to actually accomplish this task and get a new fuel tank in the boat.

COA 2: Split the boat and replace the fuel tank.
    Issues: I am having trouble finding a local shop willing to split the boat and the cost of this COA may result in the boat being totaled.

Looking to see what everyones thoughts are to best replace the fuel tank in a timely manner. Thank for the help in advance.

Cheers!
    CRUSH
    2007 X-Star SS

I don’t think you’ll be able to slide it out, all the tanks I’ve dealt with have had attachment points to keep them from moving.

Probably have to split the deck.

Did the coupler nut back off and rub a hole in it?

Comment

I don’t think you’ll be able to slide it out, all the tanks I’ve dealt with have had attachment points to keep them from moving.

Probably have to split the deck.

Did the coupler nut back off and rub a hole in it?

Comment

I would call a few dealers or even the factory and ask them. would be much easier to pull the engine than having to split the deck. will never understand why mastercraft made the decision to lose the removable floor panel. This is a nightmare situation for a out of warranty MC owner. I think this is the factory phone. (423) 884-7708

Comment

I think the fuel tank is made by moeller. their might be a sticker on top and you might be able to buy it directly off them.

Comment

I’m very curious as to the nature of the incident...

Comment

You could also go to a hot rod shop and have a new tank made from aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Latest word from MC is we need to split the boat. Challenge now is finding someone local (Hampton Roads Area) that is willing to accomplish this task and then the associated cost.

Not sure what the failure mechanism was, but we hit something and that must have dislodged the prop shaft and then it went through the tank. Golden BB of an incident.
                2007 X-Star SS

Comment

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but did you have a comprehensive policy on the boat? This would be covered.

Comment

Yes, working with insurance to cover expenses, attempting to have the boat not be a total loss
                    2007 X-Star SS

Comment

Unless the factory was doing the repair I would total that boat out with insurance and move on. If your keeping it I would swap out the center kgb too with a bag while you have it open. Goodluck

Comment

Is this a SS boat that’s seen a lot of salt? If so I’d lean more towards totaling it out and getting a new one, even if it’s another SS because you need it.

Comment

In the latest saga of fuel tank replacement, the insurance company wants to cut a hole in the floor to pull out the fuel tank. Have an aluminum fuel tank manufactured and then drop it in the boat. Afterwards they will fiberglass the Gian hole in the floor.

I am 100% against this and continue to say split the boat.

Insurance company is worried about structural issues of splitting the boat (unfounded in my opinion)

What should I do? Anyone have good contacts for east coast MC dealers who would split the boat? I really just need a quote to present to the insurance company. And if they want to pay for me to drive it to an out of state dealer I will go as far as Texas if required.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
                          2007 X-Star SS

Comment

Originally posted by CRUSH View Post
                            In the latest saga of fuel tank replacement, the insurance company wants to cut a hole in the floor to pull out the fuel tank. Have an aluminum fuel tank manufactured and then drop it in the boat. Afterwards they will fiberglass the Gian hole in the floor.

I am 100% against this and continue to say split the boat.

Insurance company is worried about structural issues of splitting the boat (unfounded in my opinion)

What should I do? Anyone have good contacts for east coast MC dealers who would split the boat? I really just need a quote to present to the insurance company. And if they want to pay for me to drive it to an out of state dealer I will go as far as Texas if required.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
                            There is no structural issue with splitting the boat. This is how they are put together. I know Skier's Marine at Lake Martin, AL, does this several times a summer to replace cracked tanks. You might try calling their service dept. to find out how much it costs.

Comment

Um hell no on cutting a hole. To me that’s more structural than taking the boat apart like it was assembled from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                              X