Diesel wake boat (diesel G25)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel wake boat (diesel G25)

I’d like the option to have a diesel motor on my next wake boat. Anyone else?

I’m thinking...

Better fuel economy
    More durable
    Lots of torque
    Much cleaner now (than previous diesels)
    Much quieter (than previous diesels)
    Biofuel could be an option?
    Weighs more (a plus unless you tow a lot)
    Kinda cool/different

Example of diesel G25 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=684ylDIvRIc

Anyone else interested in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by djyas View Post

I’m thinking...

Better fuel economy
    More durable
    Lots of torque
    Much cleaner now (than previous diesels)
    Much quieter (than previous diesels)
    Biofuel could be an option?
    Weighs more (a plus unless you tow a lot)
    Kinda cool/different

Example of diesel G25 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=684ylDIvRIc

Anyone else interested in this?

To me from a wear and tear point of view it makes way more sense than a gas engine. There is a reason why there are not gas engines in big trucks that pull things and have heavy loads.

Way more torgue at lower rpms and way more durable and if they EPA wouldn't choke them down so much would get way way better fuel economy.

So to me it makes sense but will the purchase cost out weigh those advantages? Probably if you kept your boat forever but not if you flip your boat every five years.
    2017 XT23

Comment

Still seems a lot noisier than gas but I would appreciate fuel economy. Isn’t the diesel option like $40K though, you can put a lot a gas with $40K... also no one talks about the smell back while surfing, I know Diesel engines got better over the years but they still smell in my opinion

Comment

Makes a lot of sense on paper. But, No diesel option at our marina fuel dock. My MC dealership can barely keep a traditional mechanic employed, good luck finding a diesel-rated wrench.

Comment

MC tried a VW diesel, right? Dieselgate and low sales probably ended that. Diesel makes a lot of sense and I would buy one today, but do not want a 25' boat.

My background is marine construction so all our tugs, equipment and workboats are diesel.

I'm holding on to my diesel Cayenne. Wish they still made them. I can get 33 to 34 mpg at 80 mph avg speed. Get over 700 miles per tank. Plus it tows 7700 pounds. I do not tow or drive more than 20 minutes, but it's great when I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredgeking View Post
            MC tried a VW diesel, right? Dieselgate and low sales probably ended that. Diesel makes a lot of sense and I would buy one today, but do not want a 25' boat.

A few things ended that but I would actually say low sales and more so Zero Off killed it.

The VW option was really aimed at the tournament boat market and was approved for use in tournaments... EXCEPT. that also in 2008 Zero Off and Perfect Pass reached a settlement which resulted in PP being essentially unable to be used in tournaments and the Diesel option which despite approval by the international community would not have Zero Off which didn't control the VW engine as it didn't have a Econtrols ECU - so no ZO.

Add economic recession and boom dead option.

However diesel gate wasn't till what 2014/5? So the few of these boats that were sold 6 years before that weren't impacted at all (plus being marine use they weren't really under that recall)

Comment

Interesting explanation with ZO. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                A few things ended that but I would actually say low sales and more so Zero Off killed it.

The VW option was really aimed at the tournament boat market and was approved for use in tournaments... EXCEPT. that also in 2008 Zero Off and Perfect Pass reached a settlement which resulted in PP being essentially unable to be used in tournaments and the Diesel option which despite approval by the international community would not have Zero Off which didn't control the VW engine as it didn't have a Econtrols ECU - so no ZO.

Add economic recession and boom dead option.

However diesel gate wasn't till what 2014/5? So the few of these boats that were sold 6 years before that weren't impacted at all (plus being marine use they weren't really under that recall)

+1 interesting context/info, thank you!

Related... I wonder if Diesel engines wouldn’t be as good at holding a specific speed for tow sports?

Comment

+1 interesting context/info, thank you!

Related... I wonder if Diesel engines wouldn’t be as good at holding a specific speed for tow sports?

Slalom is not really just a speed. ZO uses gps for speed but also accelerometer data it needs to increase and decrease revs so skiers pulls harder it juices more. The response needs to be rapid so a V8 gasser would be better than a lower rpm diesel good at fixed rpm. Surfing is the opposite.

ZO for slalom has response profiles ABC 123 and + settings basically offset for delay and amount and duration of throttle to get total speed average correct but give skier the boat response they want diesels would be bad at that.

Comment

Really not a cost effective option except “maybe” super high use tournament surf tugs, or those folks that put 150hrs a year on their boat, surfing, AND plan on keeping that boat forever.
                    For the cost of the option, one could pay a dealer to replace the original gas engine at least twice. Or like 5 replacements in your garage.
                    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=dies...w=360&bih=612#

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                      Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

If care about your health at all don't do it, wakesurfing behind it is like running behind a diesel truck, soot is carcinogenic no discussion about it.

Gotta wait for the first idiots to wakesurf rolling coal
                        If You Find Too Many Capitals You Can Keep Them...I'm German

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!

Comment

Electric or CNG / Propane are the future rather than grubby dirty oil burners that stink and puff black crud into the atmosphere or lake + fuel spills are dirty, at least with petrol it evaporates.

Diesel is not a good option for sports boats unless you're using it as a tender to a superyacht. MC Europe have been supplying oil burners as an option for years because of this.

Comment

Adding a DEF system probably makes diesel about as clean as gas, but that system will take up more space.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
                              If care about your health at all don't do it, wakesurfing behind it is like running behind a diesel truck, soot is carcinogenic no discussion about it.

Gotta wait for the first idiots to wakesurf rolling coal
                              I'd get FAE for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X