Ski Trip-Deer Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski Trip-Deer Valley

We planned a trip to Deer Valley between Christmas and New Years pre-Covid and I was wondering what the current status is in the area. This is our first time ever going to the Utah and was curious if we have any TT members that can give me the details.

We rented a house near lifts. What should we do about lift tickets? How do we go about obtaining those ahead of time and for the best price? How many days do we need if we are there 7 days?

I have skied on two other occasions, do y’all think lessons are necessary? My wife will for sure need lessons, should we book now? Any preferred ski schools?

Other than skiing, any other must do’s or places to eat/drink?

I really want to go ride snowmobiles one day, any recommendations?

Thanks in advanced for the help. Our whole family is going and staying in the house. Should be a fun trip and will take any tips/recommendations/don’t to get the most out of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deervalley.com is going to be your friend as all ski areas are going to be adjusting their operations constantly.

DV is known for its ski school and I would highly recommend you consider some lessons. DV is a huge mountain and if nothing else, an instructor can help you navigate things more efficiently. Considering hiring an instructor to ski with your whole family. It will be fun and you will get priority on the lifts.

You should definitely get an IKON pass for everyone. Last year, they took reservations and I’m sure they will be this year.

Where exactly is your rental house? “By the lifts” is pretty vague, especially when they have three bases and 20 high speed quad chairs.

Comment

Book some dinner reservations now on Opentable.com. You’re going during the busiest time and COVID is going to make things crazy.

Stay flexible and realize all of the businesses are going to be stressed to the Max. They rely heavily on an international workforce and who knows how that will play out.

I would request one of their planner booklets either over the phone or from the website.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by “preferred ski schools”. It’s not like there are competing options - there’s just the Deer Valley Ski School. Your decision will be between group or private lessons.

Comment

Just to avoid an unpleasant surprise for your group - Deer Valley does not allow snowboards and despite being located right next to Park City Mtn Resort, there is no business relationship or access between the two ski areas.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
            Just to avoid an unpleasant surprise for your group - Deer Valley does not allow snowboards and despite being located right next to Park City Mtn Resort, there is no business relationship or access between the two ski areas.

Wow, no snowboarders allowed?!? That's amazing.

Maybe I'll go now....

And for the record, I am actually still working on the boat. How can we be talking about snow skiing yet? Dang!
            - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

That early season can be hit n miss and last year we stayed in Park City after Xmas and the snow was absolute crap. But Brighton and Snowbird had 60” bases and powder days compared to the shy 2’ of base at Park City.
              IMO, if you’re going there to spend money and act fancy, you’re going to the right spot. If you’re going there to ski, go where the snow is.
              '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

if you go to pugski.com you can get a ton on information and how resorts are handling Covid 19

Comment

For those in your group that are not regular skiers, I would recommend 3-4 days of skiing and definitely do lessons for 1-2 days. As MC Ranger recommended, deervalley.com is your friend. Check out the site, email them questions, and make reservations early.

As far as passes go, it looks like the IKON Base Pass is blacked out the week of Christmas. If you are only skiing 3-4 days, your will have to purchase advanced tickets by the day. Walk up/day of lift tickets are not going to be available this year.

Are there kids on the trip? If so, an afternoon at the tubing hill can be fun. Woodward Park City seems to be the big one in the area. We were there about six years ago (before it was Woodward and was just a local tubing hill) and it was fun for the kids.

Comment

Deervalley.com is going to be your friend as all ski areas are going to be adjusting their operations constantly.

DV is known for its ski school and I would highly recommend you consider some lessons. DV is a huge mountain and if nothing else, an instructor can help you navigate things more efficiently. Considering hiring an instructor to ski with your whole family. It will be fun and you will get priority on the lifts.

You should definitely get an IKON pass for everyone. Last year, they took reservations and I’m sure they will be this year.

Where exactly is your rental house? “By the lifts” is pretty vague, especially when they have three bases and 20 high speed quad chairs.

Book some dinner reservations now on Opentable.com. You’re going during the busiest time and COVID is going to make things crazy.

Stay flexible and realize all of the businesses are going to be stressed to the Max. They rely heavily on an international workforce and who knows how that will play out.

I would request one of their planner booklets either over the phone or from the website.

Not sure what you mean by “preferred ski schools”. It’s not like there are competing options - there’s just the Deer Valley Ski School. Your decision will be between group or private lessons.

This is all good information. I'm not sure the exacts location of the House, but I know its a ski in/ski out in the area near deer valley and there is a lift within 50 yds from the house.

This is our first full-time ski vacation so we are kind of newbies.

We fly into salt lake and rented cars. We are planning on loading up at the grocery and cooking in the house as much as possible as I have a 4 month old baby.

Are the passes tied to a specific person? For instance, my wife and mom are planning on taking turns watching the baby so one is going to stay home and the other ski. Can we buy on 6 day pass and rotate use?

As far as gear goes, where is the best place to rent from?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
                      That early season can be hit n miss and last year we stayed in Park City after Xmas and the snow was absolute crap. But Brighton and Snowbird had 60” bases and powder days compared to the shy 2’ of base at Park City.
                      IMO, if you’re going there to spend money and act fancy, you’re going to the right spot. If you’re going there to ski, go where the snow is.
                      I really don't know much about skiing and didnt pick the place. This is our yearly family vacation (parents and siblings) we just decided to go North instead of South for a change.

How far are these other places from deer valley? Are the passes interchangeable between lifts?

Comment

Consider taking a medication to prevent altitude sickness, as you're traveling from sea level. Deer Valley's base elevation is 6500', the summit is 9500'. Altitude sickness starts at about 8000'. Two medicines that can prevent it are Diamox and Decadron (yes, the same Decadron that Trump took for COVID) You and your family will probably be OK, but it would be a shame to ruin your vacation because of a preventable problem. Talk to your doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Rita View Post
                          Consider taking a medication to prevent altitude sickness, as you're traveling from sea level. Deer Valley's base elevation is 6500', the summit is 9500'. Altitude sickness starts at about 8000'. Two medicines that can prevent it are Diamox and Decadron (yes, the same Decadron that Trump took for COVID) You and your family will probably be OK, but it would be a shame to ruin your vacation because of a preventable problem. Talk to your doctor.
                          Thanks for the tip. I will for sure look into this. I have read where I need to start exercising to get in shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                            Thanks for the tip. I will for sure look into this. I have read where I need to start exercising to get in shape.
                            Water water and more water. I camped and hiked at 10000 + for 10 straight days after a two day acclimation and trip up and down Pikes Peak. No real problems out of our group of 12-14. Avoid alcohol and caffeine the first couple of days (which sucks). I've heard that going up above 8000 and then back down the first day will help.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSkiing View Post
                              For those in your group that are not regular skiers, I would recommend 3-4 days of skiing and definitely do lessons for 1-2 days. As MC Ranger recommended, deervalley.com is your friend. Check out the site, email them questions, and make reservations early.

As far as passes go, it looks like the IKON Base Pass is blacked out the week of Christmas. If you are only skiing 3-4 days, your will have to purchase advanced tickets by the day. Walk up/day of lift tickets are not going to be available this year.

Are there kids on the trip? If so, an afternoon at the tubing hill can be fun. Woodward Park City seems to be the big one in the area. We were there about six years ago (before it was Woodward and was just a local tubing hill) and it was fun for the kids.
                              We are planning on skiing 3-4 days (we have kids and one infant), snowmobiling one day, tubing and then have a few rest days.

So are we better buying day passes or the ikon unlimited pass? Is the pass tied to a specific name or can we interchange them.

Comment

Working...
                              X