Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ski Trip-Deer Valley

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Breaking News!

    https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/deer-valley-utah

    Comment


    • #62
      Make sure you have the Ikon pass or buy tickets in advance. No day of tickets this year. For ski school it’s 7+ plus only and half day. Your child must be able to get on the lift by themselves. To eat you will need advance reservations even for on mountain cafeteria.

      Be ready for a different experience this year but if you have planned for it, you will be ok.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #63
        Just FYI - Our daily Covid infection rates in Utah are consistently higher almost every day now - about 10 times higher than they were during the summer months. My guess is that rates will continue to climb as we get into the holidays and travel increases. ICU beds are at around 75% of capacity state wide. Probably not info you haven’t already been researching but something you’ll likely want to consider and keep an eye on as you fine tune your plans.

        Comment


        • #64
          Hey guys we are moving full speed ahead with everything. All of this information has been incredible and helped so much. We ended up buying day passes for both deer valley and park city.

          I have purchased all my gear except goggles. I'm looking for a pair that will be good for all light conditions without having to switch lens. Does that even exists? If so which Brand and style is best?

          There are alot of black Friday deals out there and I want to purchase some Friday and be done with it. Any recommendation on goggles would be much appreciated.

          If anyone is in the area, please let me know. We will be there for a week between Christmas and new years.

          Thanks again for all the help.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
            Just FYI - Our daily Covid infection rates in Utah are consistently higher almost every day now - about 10 times higher than they were during the summer months. My guess is that rates will continue to climb as we get into the holidays and travel increases. ICU beds are at around 75% of capacity state wide. Probably not info you haven’t already been researching but something you’ll likely want to consider and keep an eye on as you fine tune your plans.
            Has Utah shut down alot of the restaurants? In Louisiana, they have gotten stricker on what you can and cant do.

            I'm curious to see what it will do to the skiing... Would they even shut the lifts down?

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
              Hey guys we are moving full speed ahead with everything. All of this information has been incredible and helped so much. We ended up buying day passes for both deer valley and park city.

              I have purchased all my gear except goggles. I'm looking for a pair that will be good for all light conditions without having to switch lens. Does that even exists? If so which Brand and style is best?

              There are alot of black Friday deals out there and I want to purchase some Friday and be done with it. Any recommendation on goggles would be much appreciated.

              If anyone is in the area, please let me know. We will be there for a week between Christmas and new years.

              Thanks again for all the help.
              Goggles are pretty subjective because they have to fit over your face and such. Personally I run a different pair for day time and different pair for night ski. You'll notice there is an enormous price difference between low end and top end. Just dont buy the cheapest pair you see.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post
                Goggles are pretty subjective because they have to fit over your face and such. Personally I run a different pair for day time and different pair for night ski. You'll notice there is an enormous price difference between low end and top end. Just dont buy the cheapest pair you see.
                Given that I don't snow ski alot, I'm looking for a good all around pair. I really don't want to carry two pairs of googles or lens.

                Im seeing the huge price difference between brands like Oakley and Smith.

                I have been primarily looking on EVO.com. they have some great deals on what looks like expensive goggles.

                Comment


                • #68
                  I've got Amber tinted goggles, haven't tried any other types but visibility has been fine for me.
                  2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                  2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                  Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

                  Originally posted by uplandbird
                  Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Amber is great for low light, rose colored is best all around across the spectrum, grey/black/brown are good for high sunshine.

                    Evo is tremendous and has great sales. At minimum get a dual lens goggle which cuts down on fogging (two lenses with air layer in middle), and many of the higher end goggles will also come with a low light or high sunshine lens that can be swapped out easily depending upon conditions.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Here’s something to consider, if you encounter flat light conditions, i.e. snowing/overcast, you’d probably be willing to pay full retail price to get the best visibility. Maybe consider buying a pair of googles for those conditions (Smith has a couple of lenses that I like, but can’t remember the name) and return then when you get back if you end up not needing them

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        All good advice so far. To me a good pair of ski goggles allows you to see features and contours in the snow as you look downhill. Cheap goggles make everything look flat.

                        I would suggest holding off on the purchase till you get there. This will allow you to try some on and take a look at the snow. There is no shortage of ski equipment stores in both park city and SLC.

                        Good luck. ski stuff shopping is almost as fun as watersports shopping.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                          Amber is great for low light, rose colored is best all around across the spectrum, grey/black/brown are good for high sunshine.

                          Evo is tremendous and has great sales. At minimum get a dual lens goggle which cuts down on fogging (two lenses with air layer in middle), and many of the higher end goggles will also come with a low light or high sunshine lens that can be swapped out easily depending upon conditions.
                          ^^ this. I would add if you are wearing a helmet matching helmet and google brands may provide a better fit without gaps (ie giro etc). Oakley, bolle, anon all great. Smith is about as low as I’d go. Like moose said, if you want one lens rose is probably the safe bet. Go too dark and you won’t be able to see subtle terrain changes in flat light.
                          -Chad
                          2021 GS22, 1995 CC Ski Nautique
                          previous
                          2010 MC x14v,
                          2001 MC Prostar 190,
                          1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
                          1984 CC Ski Nautique,
                          1979 CC Ski Tique

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            On the goggle front, Oakley’s Orange Persimmon work well for me but if you tend to ski rope down to rope up, you likely should have a rose lens or clear lens for late in the day on most Winter ski days .... it is a challenge going from gray days and flat light to periodic sunny days

                            Try the Oakley Prizm they have a sweet field of view when wearing ...


                            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            Ski in snow, ski in water, and always have fun!

                            2008 Prostar 214 MCX
                            1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
                            Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

                            "Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
                            "Do you have Flake on that boat?"

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                              Has Utah shut down alot of the restaurants? In Louisiana, they have gotten stricker on what you can and cant do.

                              I'm curious to see what it will do to the skiing... Would they even shut the lifts down?
                              As of now they plan to have on-mountain dining at 4 restaurants (Snow Park, Silver Lake and Empire Canyon Lodges, and Royal Street Café). The only way to get in will be via reservations. The reservation system will be open to the general public on Monday 11/30. I'd suggest you jump on that immediately on Monday morning because the prime slots (noon +/- an hour) for the holiday week are already scarce. Hopefully some will still be available for you on Monday.

                              TJ

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                OK Dave, many of us wrote mini novels of advice for you. Let’s hear about your trip.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X