Converting xt sundeck lids to flip up backrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting xt sundeck lids to flip up backrests

Looking for information if anyone have converted their sundeck into mastercraft’s flip up back rests that they offer as an option. If so, did you buy the conversion as a complete package through the dealer or was it individual parts?

Looking to to do this as a winter project. However, I would like to use the smaller taco backrest hinge that has four settings vs. the larger one that Mastercraft uses that only had one position.

Originally posted by labrecque View Post
    Looking for information if anyone have converted their sundeck into mastercraft’s flip up back rests that they offer as an option. If so, did you buy the conversion as a complete package through the dealer or was it individual parts?

Looking to to do this as a winter project. However, I would like to use the smaller taco backrest hinge that has four settings vs. the larger one that Mastercraft uses that only had one position.
    I know that when I was looking for my 19, I looked at an 18 that the dealer was going to retrofit and they claimed the parts were $2k. It looks like the hinge alone is $600. I also might warn against the smaller bracket https://tacomarine.com/seating-hardware-h25-0016. My guess is MC used the larger one https://tacomarine.com/pontoon-store...inges-h25-0023 so neither the hinge nor the seat gave way.
    2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

I might be in the minority on this one, but I would say - don't do it.

I f'n hate the flip up sundeck seats. I was talking to the dealer about converting mine back to normal

1) the hinges stick up and are pretty easy to step, kneel on, or kick - it doesn't feel good
      2) If the seats are flipped up and someone tries to open the rear locker - it will take chunks out of your gel coat. Or, if someone doesn't quite get the latch all the way shut on the locker and the locker door flips up while your driving (towing) and you don't notice it - yeah - chunks out of your gel coat.
      3) they hold water behind them, and if you use your boat a lot, it just stays wet and the fabric starts to wear.
      4) When you open the locker- the water that is behind the flip up part drains out from behind the cushion- it misses the drip rail thats around the edge of the locker, and water drains straight into the compartment... maybe this isn't a big deal when you have ballast bags back there, but in the Xstar there is good storage that would just get soaked constantly and the carpet was always wet. Of the things I have just listed, this was the one that bothered me the most.
      The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

^
        This.

We have them. Never use them due to angle is bad so not comfortable and everything he said is completely true.

I’d swap mine out if anyone has same color scheme and wants them...

Comment

Maniacmikes and pridnjoy, great feedback and didn't realize the gel coat potential issue. That would drive me nuts. I have heard that the hinges do stick up a little and can cause pain if stepped on and etc. As far as the seat angle, I do agree that the angle is horrible, that s why I wanted to use the smaller hinge as it has four positions including a 90 angle which may be more comfortable.

Prdnjoy, out of curiosity, what is your color scheme?

Comment

The hinges can be purchased outside of mastercraft and save some money. You just need the bottom panel and flip up cushion from mastercraft. The rest of the parts are the same. Problem with shorter seat hinges is the starboard with threaded inserts won’t line up to hold cushion. Also eecyclone attempted to remove the 4 position hinge and retrofit to larger ones but they don’t interchange. So only other option is to weld plate onto smaller hinge to make longer to line up with cushion mounts. I debated this option a lot and ultimately those seats aren’t worth the cost as described above with other issues they pose.

Comment

We get a lot of use out of the flip seats on our XT22. Definitely better than the ones on our X25. Would I modify a solid cover to accommodate the flips seats - no way. Just my perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree

I agree with you. I want to do it to my boat as well. I want to do this:

Rear hath walk thru with flip up seats = perfect option

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-...at-backs-r206/

Also – I think we all use our boats differently. So when someone says don’t do it – how do they know what is important to you and your family, and how do they know how you use your boat.

Prior to living on a lake, I would never have considered flip up seats. Now – we spend just as much time floating with the kids swimming – then we do riding behind the boat. So – we want to retro fit the rear deck to make this more enjoyable.

It’s your boat – make it work for you and your family.

current:
                2006 Mastercraft X15

past:
                2006 Mastercraft X-1
                1986 Mastercraft Skier 19
                1978 Ski Tique
                1987 Mastercraft ProStar

Comment

Dang, that X2 in the Wakegarage forum is sweet. Walkthrough and Flip up seating.
                  2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    Dang, that X2 in the Wakegarage forum is sweet. Walkthrough and Flip up seating.
                    no %$#& Steve, that look makes me think of getting my interior redone and keep the x2 forever. clean and nice. wonder what kind of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X