2005 X10 vs 2004 209

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 X10 vs 2004 209

I just looked at the X 10 yesterday that was really close to my house. And now I have found a 209 to buy, but it is halfway across the country. It looks to be in great shape.

Can anybody that is familiar with these two models tell me what the differences are? It looks to have very similar specs. I’m moving up from a ProStar 190. So obviously I am familiar with a much smaller boat and wake.

Thanks.

The only similarities are the length, dash and name on the side of the boat.

What do you like to do behind the boat? How many people do you typically have on board and for how long? Does your lake get rough?

I went from a ‘91 ProStar to a 2005 X10 but always coveted the 209.

The X10 was the proverbial Jack of All Trades, Master of None but we loved it and in many ways, it saved my family’s soul.

Give us a little more background and we can help you choose the right boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been on and off the fence about moving to a vdrive several times. IMHO:

Lean toward skiing - 209
      Lean toward family room, board sports - X10

I would love to consider moving to an X10 but continue to hold out with our PS197 for slalom and barefooting.....

A nice X10 would have great resale, the 209 would need a bit more specific buyer.

Comment

209 is a big suburban of a direct drive. Nice lines on the water, likes smooth water and will take water over the bow more readily than the x-10. For me I was bummed I did not ski it before I bought, that extra weight has to go somewhere. I came from an '88 ps190. With enough speed the wake will flatten. The X-10 is a better boat if you are in chop a lot. If you are a good skier, (34-36 mph) either model will ski well, but they are no ski specific boat I'm told the 209 was derived from the maristar 210.
        Attached Files
        https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
        1988 prostar 190 SOLD
        2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

I thought the 209/ X9 and 210/ X10 shared the same hull, with one being DD and the other being the V-Drive versions in that era. The later X10 (2013-2014 or whenever it made its debut) was a completely redesigned X10.
          Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
            I thought the 209/ X9 and 210/ X10 shared the same hull, with one being DD and the other being the V-Drive versions in that era. The later X10 (2013-2014 or whenever it made its debut) was a completely redesigned X10.
            I think you are right, I think I had an X15 in my head.
            https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
            1988 prostar 190 SOLD
            2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

My wife and are very much rec skiers. We want more space coming from a 90' ProStar 190, which is still on the water, but might get sold. Considering moving down from the 209 to a 197. I really thought the x10 looked too big. So I am concerned I will feel the same way about the 209.

Lake is pretty small. Not too worried about it being too choppy.

Comment

Originally posted by zsqure View Post
                209 is a big suburban of a direct drive. Nice lines on the water, likes smooth water and will take water over the bow more readily than the x-10. For me I was bummed I did not ski it before I bought, that extra weight has to go somewhere. I came from an '88 ps190. With enough speed the wake will flatten. The X-10 is a better boat if you are in chop a lot. If you are a good skier, (34-36 mph) either model will ski well, but they are no ski specific boat I'm told the 209 was derived from the maristar 210.
                We have a 90' 190 in the family.

Comment

Anyone want to chime in on 209 vs. 197??

Comment

The 209 is a more "general" boat. Just because it's a DD, doesn't necessarily mean it's a great ski boat.

The 197 is the ski machine. Similar to your 190, but with an open bow.

The other choice, is the X14 or 214 Prostar. It's a touch larger than the 209, but the hull is base on the 197....so a better ski boat than the 209.

Can't speak for the surf/wakesurfing abilities though.
                    - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

If you're comparing 209 and 197 then, you're closer to my scheme - small lake just under 100 acres, one way travel around the oval.

I would look for a X-14 direct drive if I were boatless right now, after discussing with some of the experts here in a couple other threads and reading lots of posts from owners. That will give you more room than a 197 - with the X package and tower you can recreationally wakeboard.

For a 197 - as long as you pick 2003 onwards you would get the last iteration of that hull with an improved ski wake over my 2002. Wakeboarding isn't much with only the sack under the back seat, but my kids & their friends have fun with it - we're still old school with the fly-high pole.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
                        ....The X10 was the proverbial Jack of All Trades, Master of None but we loved it and in many ways, it saved my family’s soul.
                        This is the poetry of boating, and family. Cheers MCR.

Comment

Originally posted by NickupNorth View Post
                          My wife and are very much rec skiers. We want more space coming from a 90' ProStar 190, which is still on the water, but might get sold. Considering moving down from the 209 to a 197. I really thought the x10 looked too big. So I am concerned I will feel the same way about the 209.

Lake is pretty small. Not too worried about it being too choppy.
                          id also categorize myself as very much a recreational skier. like to get behind the boat and make turns but never have any visions of running a course.

we had a '94 190 but moved to an '04 x9 after most of our water time involve a handful of other people and spending most of a day on the water.
                          compared to the 190 the x9 obviously shines with room to not trip over each other. you can wakeboard behind it, having the tower gets stuff off the floor, and weve even had some success playing around surfing it.
                          is it great at any of that? no, but its not bad (minus the surfing, thats not amazing obviously hah) and roomy enough to hang out on all day.
                          its ability to handle chop is also night and day, but again, tradeoffs...

our target when we were selling the 190 was to replace it with a larger direct drive.
                          DDs are hard enough to find in the PNW and finding one in our budget as well. ideally wed have probably found an x14 DD but alas.

a few years into ownership and no regrets with the x9

pictures, because why not!

Comment

If you are on a small lake and majority of use is skiing (even if only rec level)with only a few people, I would think 190/197 is easy choice. It will be closest to your current boat for handling, size, ski wake, etc. obvious risk of water over the bow vs a bigger boat but if you have been living with the 190, you likely know how to drive to avoid that.

If you are going to have more people and do stuff other than skiing as the primary task, that’s where the 209 or v drive would likely be better. And still ski OK, depending on what your definition of Rec skier is....

Even so, 197 will feel way bigger and you could still put people on more comfortably Than the 1990.

I vote for ski boat / 197.

Comment

As you bring the X14/ 214 into the discussion, there is no comparison with the 209 as far as ski wake. And the X14/ 214 wake is very close and sometimes better than the 197 at 34 - 36 mph. (depending on line length, but 197 is slightly better except 15-22 off then it's more arguable) 209DD is just a bigger boat than either, as far as running surface, and is considered (sort of) a deep V.
                              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Working...
                              X