Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best outdoor remote security cameras that are battery or solar operated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best outdoor remote security cameras that are battery or solar operated?

Looking for advice on the best and most affordable solution to an issue at our lake that will deter trespassers and thieves. Unfortunately, fencing alone, which is in place is not stopping the issue so we need to add some cameras in order to catch the folks in action and turn over to the police for follow up.
    Ask:
    We need a camera solution that is battery or solar operated as we have no electric at the site.
    Cellular is likely a must as checking an SD card each day is going to grow old.
    Don't break the bank.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Originally posted by jkski View Post
    Looking for advice on the best and most affordable solution to an issue at our lake that will deter trespassers and thieves. Unfortunately, fencing alone, which is in place is not stopping the issue so we need to add some cameras in order to catch the folks in action and turn over to the police for follow up.

Ask:

We need a camera solution that is battery or solar operated as we have no electric at the site.

Don't break the bank.

Have you seen the Arlo cameras?

Have you considered fake cameras and signs?

https://www.safetysign.com/camera-in...MaAmMoEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Camera

Arlo cameras and cellular coverage back haul

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Surveill...87317794&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
        The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

I have two Ring stick up cameras at my cabin. Work great - highly recommend.

https://ring.com/products/stick-up-s...CABEgK0v_D_BwE

Comment

Ask:
            Don't break the bank.

I haven't used them, but they look interesting-

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/wire...ce:&pageSize:&

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I was just looking at the Arlo cameras as they seem really nice.

We've got signs up as well as another sim card camera but it's seems time to up our game a bit to help deter. We are trying to break 15 years worth if bad habits from folks who feel they are entitled to enter and that signs and fencing simply do not apply to them. It will take time to break the cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                Have you seen the Arlo cameras?

Have you considered fake cameras and signs?
                Fake signs? How do they work?

If someone is having problems with intruders, fake cameras are usually not going to work- anyone who's experienced with these knows that they need infrared light to be able to 'see' in darkness and if they don't see the LEDs or light flare when they check with the front-facing camera on a smart phone, it's probably not real. If it is real, it won't pick up much detail. Night vision is grainy in total darkness and it still needs some ambient light in order to work unless it provides its own light.

If I was going to do this and be militant about it, I would install decent cameras with overlapping coverage set up in zones with an IR illuminator, to flood the area with light that the DBs can't see unless they know how to look for it. If they open the camera on their phone and see the whole are lit up, they'll likely move on.

OTOH, the idiots who enter could be like the pinhead who broke into a bar/restaurant where I installed cameras- as he filled a small trash can with booze bottles from the bar, he would look up and stare directly at one of the cameras frequently. Apparently, the rings of faint red LEDs intrigued him and they allowed a very clear, crisp image of his face.

Comment

I have two Kasa cam's that are battery operated. A charge will last about a month and i can access them anytime on my cell phone and they were not that expensive. They do require wifi to operate.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I was just looking at the Arlo cameras as they seem really nice.

We've got signs up as well as another sim card camera but it's seems time to up our game a bit to help deter. We are trying to break 15 years worth if bad habits from folks who feel they are entitled to enter and that signs and fencing simply do not apply to them. It will take time to break the cycle.
                    Arlo has had some security breaches, as have Swann, HikVision and others. I would recommend avoiding any Chinese-made security equipment. HikVision has been on the US DoD list of brands to avoid because they have allowed hackers to access networks from a back door.

Ever seen these? They would surely get the attention of the intruders.

https://firequest.com/HV005.html

I'm not sure banjo music would be a good deterrent.

Comment

a 12v battery and a little solar panel could help.

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                        Arlo has had some security breaches, as have Swann, HikVision and others. I would recommend avoiding any Chinese-made security equipment. HikVision has been on the US DoD list of brands to avoid because they have allowed hackers to access networks from a back door.

Ever seen these? They would surely get the attention of the intruders.

https://firequest.com/HV005.html

I'm not sure banjo music would be a good deterrent.
                        My favorite
                        93 190
                        (safe click)

Comment

Comment

We have been happy with the Arlo 3 cameras. 2k video as well as automatic zoom and tracking. Night vision as well. The charge lasts about a month. Very easy to install.

Link to recent U.S. News & World Report from last week -

https://www.usnews.com/360-reviews/s...y-cameras/arlo

Comment

I run a Arlo. it runs off cellular so the signal has to be good. There is a bit of a delay but pic quality is good. The set up wasn't the easiest but once setup its simple to use. I'll bet the wifi version is easier to navigate and will not need a service plan.
                              86' 19 Skier, 351 PCM (sold)
                              2008 197 ProStar, LY6 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X