Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xstar Additional Weight Process

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Xstar Additional Weight Process

    Wakeboarding context only

    In search of achieving the best wake production & boat operation:

    Current gen xstar, stock setup (with rear bags beneath false floors) and available 1000lbs of lead. I've tried various locations, speeds, line lenghts, etc. and this boat surely performs better at slower speeds, but here's what I've found to be the optimal wake shape (for my riding comfort) with what I currently have at my disposal.

    - full stock ballasts/bags
    - 23.0mph, 72.5' line
    - 200lbs lead in each rear locker, 150 lbs lead beneath flip seat
    - 200lbs each port/starboard midship under seating areas

    At lower speeds, the wake improves/grows, but I'm a larger rider (210+lbs) and I drag/sink at anything below about 22.7. The chaser wave remains a problem as described in a prior post with this setup. 8 out of 10 times getting the rear deck/compartments is unavoidable, especially when less experienced drivers are pulling riders. No doubt due to the rear weight. Bow rise is also an issue. Launch requires 3 tab assist, but no issue.

    Next test is to replace the rear lead & stock bags (~450lbs ea) with larger bags (935lbs ea). This will allow for much more rear weight, but surely will require some additional weight to distribute toward the bow of the boat to address the current issues mentioned above. I'll do this with lead until I find the optimum arrangement. Then, I'd like to replace that lead with bags. Is there any way to do that, short of connecting to the rear bag system? I understand there's no bow plug and play for current MC X series.
    2020 XStar
    2018 G23
    2014 XStar
    2009 X45

  • #2
    Hit up Steel Lafferty on Instagram. He is good about getting back to people. He gets a new Xstar every year.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      1) please post pics/video of said wake

      2) I have not looked into adding a piggyback system onto the front ballast tank, but I am sure it wouldn't be much different than the setup for the rear tanks/bags and if there are not extra ports in the front tank, you just have to tee into the line.


      3) If I was doing it, the easiest way I can think of would be to do something like the setup pictured. The key is the spring loaded check valve which would direct water into the ballast bag, but, under vacuum (when draining) would allow air to pass into the hard tank to prevent damage. You could also put a second check valve (which would allow air/water out the vent, but not back in) on the vent of the ballast bag to make sure that the bag would drain completely
      Attached Files
      The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
        Hit up Steel Lafferty on Instagram. He is good about getting back to people. He gets a new Xstar every year.

        Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        The above setup includes advice from Steel.

        Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
        2020 XStar
        2018 G23
        2014 XStar
        2009 X45

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by maniacmikes View Post
          1) please post pics/video of said wake



          2) I have not looked into adding a piggyback system onto the front ballast tank, but I am sure it wouldn't be much different than the setup for the rear tanks/bags and if there are not extra ports in the front tank, you just have to tee into the line.





          3) If I was doing it, the easiest way I can think of would be to do something like the setup pictured. The key is the spring loaded check valve which would direct water into the ballast bag, but, under vacuum (when draining) would allow air to pass into the hard tank to prevent damage. You could also put a second check valve (which would allow air/water out the vent, but not back in) on the vent of the ballast bag to make sure that the bag would drain completely
          Yes this is what I will likely end up doing. Perplexing that MC would only provide rear connections, in the xstar.



          Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
          2020 XStar
          2018 G23
          2014 XStar
          2009 X45

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by maniacmikes View Post
            1) please post pics/video of said wake

            2) I have not looked into adding a piggyback system onto the front ballast tank, but I am sure it wouldn't be much different than the setup for the rear tanks/bags and if there are not extra ports in the front tank, you just have to tee into the line.


            3) If I was doing it, the easiest way I can think of would be to do something like the setup pictured. The key is the spring loaded check valve which would direct water into the ballast bag, but, under vacuum (when draining) would allow air to pass into the hard tank to prevent damage. You could also put a second check valve (which would allow air/water out the vent, but not back in) on the vent of the ballast bag to make sure that the bag would drain completely

            This is the exact setup I run in mine (yours ), but is for bags in the middle of the boat under the coffin seats.

            I found this to be a much better option than adding weight to the rear. With the mid tank full, the boat is already weight biased too much to the rear, so adding more weight there didnt seem to help me. I added the mid-bag setup, and it is perfect. It's all tied in to the factory system, and doesnt really effect fill/empty times. I feel like I did a writeup on this back in 2018....... It's certainly not that hard to add it, and makes a huge difference. Best part is that I (we) keep the factory rear storage, which is where I (you will) put everything.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mpabreo View Post
              Yes this is what I will likely end up doing. Perplexing that MC would only provide rear connections, in the xstar.



              Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
              They almost did provide a "Pro ballast kit" for the XStar, and it was listed as an option temporarily in 2018. That option was the inspiration for what I added. Just added what the option was going to add after the fact.....

              Ultimately, MC decided not to offer it on consumer boats because of the reduction in capacity, and likely the liability concerns of offering it from the factory. Makes sense......

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mpabreo View Post
                Wakeboarding context only

                At lower speeds, the wake improves/grows, but I'm a larger rider (210+lbs) and I drag/sink at anything below about 22.7.
                What size board are you riding? Wondering if you are riding a board that may be too small. I am about 200lbs and can ride at 18.5mph no problem.

                I ride the hyperlight baseline 141.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                  What size board are you riding? Wondering if you are riding a board that may be too small. I am about 200lbs and can ride at 18.5mph no problem.



                  I ride the hyperlight baseline 141.
                  Ronix timebomb 146, went up from the 142 this past fall for this very reason.

                  Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by mpabreo; 04-15-2021, 08:19 AM.
                  2020 XStar
                  2018 G23
                  2014 XStar
                  2009 X45

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Post some vids of riding behind your star. Can’t wait to see the wake.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
                      This is the exact setup I run in mine (yours ), but is for bags in the middle of the boat under the coffin seats.



                      I found this to be a much better option than adding weight to the rear. With the mid tank full, the boat is already weight biased too much to the rear, so adding more weight there didnt seem to help me. I added the mid-bag setup, and it is perfect. It's all tied in to the factory system, and doesnt really effect fill/empty times. I feel like I did a writeup on this back in 2018....... It's certainly not that hard to add it, and makes a huge difference. Best part is that I (we) keep the factory rear storage, which is where I (you will) put everything.....
                      Assume you lost cooler storage with this setup. The only thing I keep in the rear is wet items, ropes and vests (which will for even with the larger rear bags) I use the coffins for passenger dry bags, fan storage when out, and obvi the cooler. Also coffins are kinda shallow. What size bags do you have there? Total weight over stock?



                      Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                      2020 XStar
                      2018 G23
                      2014 XStar
                      2009 X45

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mpabreo View Post
                        Assume you lost cooler storage with this setup. The only thing I keep in the rear is wet items, ropes and vests (which will for even with the larger rear bags) I use the coffins for passenger dry bags, fan storage when out, and obvi the cooler. Also coffins are kinda shallow. What size bags do you have there? Total weight over stock?



                        Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                        Ya, I put everything in the rear, including the cooler. Dry jackets, ropes, and any passenger items in the port rear. Wet life jackets in the middle rear compartment. Cooler and such in the starboard compartment. I like the fact that nobody ever has to get up or move to grab anything and everything they might need. Then I put anchor, ropes, bumpers, spare vests (for CG occupant coverage) etc under front seats (which are still all empty enough to put tons more stuff in there).

                        The bags in the center are the same bags as in the rear of the boat (450s), but probably hold 350-400lbs each. I'd guess about 700-800lbs actual additional weight.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                          Post some vids of riding behind your star. Can’t wait to see the wake.
                          Xstar vs g23, bet you like the houdini behind the G.

                          Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by mpabreo; 04-15-2021, 08:56 AM. Reason: file attach
                          2020 XStar
                          2018 G23
                          2014 XStar
                          2009 X45

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Subscribed, and looking forward to pimping rides aboard MM’s (440’s) Xstar soon.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Few things to try:

                              1) If you remove all the extra ballast, is the wake fine then?
                              2) My rule of thumb was always add 1/3rd of any additional weight up front, think "lowering" rather than "wheelieing"
                              3) shorten off to 65ft, this will help clear the 2ndary wake behind

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X