No announcement yet.

GDI Recall for Fuel Pressure Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is crazy. Mine was done last week. Do they need to do something different now and are there parts involved?
    05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

I haven't heard from my dealer on this, but it sounds like they need to remove the damper that was originally installed as a part of the recall?

For those that have heard from their dealer, is this is a "cease and desist" usage order like the original recall?
      Former: 2007 X15

Comment

Originally posted by maniacmikes View Post
        My understanding is that they are removing the fuel damper which was installed as part of the first recall. I don't know what a fuel damper is - or what it's supposed to do- anyone????
        My dealer texted at 7:15 this morning telling me a tech would be at my boat at 8am to do the recall. I just checked with him a few minutes ago to better understand what was done. Not completely sure, but my impression is that the 'fuel damper' is something like a water hammer arrestor you might find under your sink. Sort of a dead-head tube with air trapped in the end, to cushion sudden changes in fuel pressure that might otherwise slam the hardware. He told me they've had a couple of these fail in the field (nation wide), resulting in a fuel leak, so they are removing them now. Not sure why they thought they needed to add them in the first place.
        Jerry

2020 X22
        2018 XT22
        2014 Aqua Patio
        2003 Malibu Response LXi
        2001 Malibu Sunsetter
        1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

Originally posted by Upnorth07 View Post
          For those that have heard from their dealer, is this is a "cease and desist" usage order like the original recall?
          My dealer did not say anything about that, and I have not seen the recall letter. But he said their tech has done like 60 of these service calls in the last 4 days, so they aren't letting grass grow between their toes. The tech has it down to about a 5 minute procedure now. Frankly, I don't like the idea that a device might fail resulting in a high pressure fuel leak on the engine. I'd be inclined to get the work done asap...
          Jerry

2020 X22
          2018 XT22
          2014 Aqua Patio
          2003 Malibu Response LXi
          2001 Malibu Sunsetter
          1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

Dealer had my boat over the winter to fix a few warranty items and they did the recall before I got it back a few weeks ago. Then I got a call from the dealer this past Friday that they needed to come out and do another recall to the recall they already did. They came out that day and did it. I didn't ask what exactly either recall involved.

Comment

Yes, this is getting a bit comical. Really funny if it didn't all sound so dangerous.

Comment

This is the damper that needs to be removed, I actually removed it myself as my dealer is 3 hr each way. It literally took 15 minutes. You will need a fuel line quick disconnect tool.
                Release fuel rail pressure at Schrader valve, disconnect fuel line from bottom of damper, disconnect damper from fuel rail, undo 1 bolt and remove damper then reconnect the fuel line directly to the rail. Done
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mallees View Post
                  This is the damper that needs to be removed, I actually removed it myself as my dealer is 3 hr each way. It literally took 15 minutes. You will need a fuel line quick disconnect tool.
                  Release fuel rail pressure at Schrader valve, disconnect fuel line from bottom of damper, disconnect damper from fuel rail, undo 1 bolt and remove damper then reconnect the fuel line directly to the rail. Done
                  Thank you! So the damper connects to the fuel rail up on the engine right?
                  15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                    Thank you! So the damper connects to the fuel rail up on the engine right?
                    Correct, the fuel rail connector points straight down and the damper plugs onto it from beneath, (damper is vertical) and fuel hose plugs onto bottom of damper.

Comment

I talked to my dealer about this...he said they are removing the damper for now and MasterCraft will have a permanent/better solution available by the fall.
                      Former: 2007 X15

Comment

Originally posted by mallees View Post
                        Correct, the fuel rail connector points straight down and the damper plugs onto it from beneath, (damper is vertical) and fuel hose plugs onto bottom of damper.
                        Thank you for all the information. Seems like a simple fix.

I have yet to hear from my dealer, so maybe it was done already. I will check tomorrow when I get to the boat.
                        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

TXMC just swung by the house and redid mine.

FYI be prepared for another recall in a few months allegedly
                          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                          For Sale:
                          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Nothing builds confidence like a recall turning into a trilogy.

Comment

I’m concerned about this. We had our recall done a couple of months ago. Now twice I’ve smelled a VERY strong gas odor in the cabin. However when I opened the floor compartments to see if I could smell it below deck I could not.

Possibly related... I use the fuel computer to calculate usage and when I went to fill up it took over 43 gal but computer said full should be 41. Is that within the margin of error... or is it possible I leaked 2+ gallons of gas?

Any advice on where to look for or smell for a potential problem with this damper on an x24?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Upnorth07 View Post
                                I talked to my dealer about this...he said they are removing the damper for now and MasterCraft will have a permanent/better solution available by the fall.

My dealer said something very similar to that

Comment

Working...
                                X