Finally got my new old Maristar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my new old Maristar!

After a multi year search I finally got my Maristar. Thank you to all for the great advice and information that helped me in my search.

She is a 1999 210 VRS with about 650 hrs and no salt life! Engine is the LTR. She runs well but needs the shaft packing seal replaced. She has not had the MCOCD life.... but that's about to change. The engine hatch is damaged - the electric linear actuator was removed and it flew up while being towed by the PO and tore the aluminum honeycomb panel. Several gel coat scars from being unattended at the dock by teenagers. No tower yet. PO has been pulling tubes on a fly high pole without the front strap - yet I could not find any looseness or cracks in the pylon or mount. The boards on either side of the engine are missing so I'll need to replace them before I can use the rear storage on either side of the engine. Yes, she needs some love. Interior is original but is serviceable until I can get more pressing items taken care of.

The 2 hour tow home turned into 6 hours - I had a tire blow out in the first 10 miles. Glad she has a tandem axle trailer! Stopped at Discount Tire for a new tire - 30 minutes after leaving there I look in the rear view mirror and notice the front axle hopping up and down. Suspecting another tire separating I pull off on the side of I-10 only to discover that the bearing has self-disassembled....no clue where the bearing buddy went! So I limped to a rest area, jacked the axle up, removed the wheel, blocked the spring leveler so the good wheel didn't scrub the fender and drove a few more miles to an exit with a Walmart. With a few tools and bearing kit in hand I removed the hub only to discover that the inner race is spinning on the axle and won't come off and the outer race flat is chewed up. So I limp home the rest of the way on 3 wheels at about 45 MPH. Looks like the axle stub is trashed so I will likely have to replace the drop axle.

Man! This really feels like boat ownership now! I'm pumped!
    Attached Files

Boats! You gotta love em to keep them. They do love back many times over.

Comment

well huge congrats ... glad you survived the adventure

Comment

Fun project, and congrats! What’s first on your agenda?

Comment

Congratulations on the new ride!
          OH-IO!

Comment

Congrats! Glad no one was harmed on the tow home, well done under pressure. She’ll respond to the TLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by cmasty View Post
              Fun project, and congrats! What’s first on your agenda?
              Thanks! I would love to hear suggestions from those who have rescued a MC already. I guess the first thing is to get the trailer usable so I can get to the lake and do a thorough shake down. That was not in the plan but has jumped to the front of the line.

I know I need the boards that sit on each side of the engine compartment under the sun pad but I will need to find a set to copy or make my own from ???? Any idea if they are aluminum honeycomb like the sun pad or something else? I can measure and make something that fits but I would like to do it the MC way if I can find a template. I also want to repair the sun pad - will likely convert it to the three door design of the newer boats while I'm at it.

In the mean time I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a tower.

I'll likely put the upholstery off until next season and focus on mechanicals first and getting things good and clean. I've got a lot of learning to do.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen someone use a Fly High on a vdrive. I am surprised no damage has been done as these need some strap support.
                2010 X-15
                SOLD 1994 205
                2011 Pathfinder
                2016 Ford Flex
                3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
                1 kid in college

Comment

Originally posted by sp00ky View Post
                  I don't think I've ever seen someone use a Fly High on a vdrive. I am surprised no damage has been done as these need some strap support.
                  I thought the same thing and I may discover some damage in time but I checked it as best I could without removing anything and couldn't find any slop or "smoking" cracks. I don't expect to be using the pole but definitely not without a front strap.

Comment

By the way - does anyone know what VRS stands for? I get the "V" for V drive but RS?

Also - what year did the Medallion gauge monster attack the Maristar family?

Thanks
                    Last edited by flyski; 04-19-2021, 12:22 AM. Reason: additional question

Comment

Congrats, good color combo.......I’ve got the same.

Wow on that pole, can’t imagine pulling anything but a flag from it.

The missing partitions in the rear lockers by the engine were likely made from “SeaBoard.” Order some stock and cut to fit, kinda like a bifold closet door that folds down into the locker for easy engine access. Won’t take much effort to surpass the “quality” from the factory, all the cover panels etc are kinda a hack job. I’ld look into reinforcing the doors for ballast bags as well.

Good luck on getting your trailer in shape for summer.

Comment

Congratulations
                        1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
                        2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

Engine bay Partitions

Originally posted by crabandy View Post
                          Congrats, good color combo.......I’ve got the same.

Wow on that pole, can’t imagine pulling anything but a flag from it.

The missing partitions in the rear lockers by the engine were likely made from “SeaBoard.” Order some stock and cut to fit, kinda like a bifold closet door that folds down into the locker for easy engine access. Won’t take much effort to surpass the “quality” from the factory, all the cover panels etc are kinda a hack job. I’ld look into reinforcing the doors for ballast bags as well.

Good luck on getting your trailer in shape for summer.
                          Thank you! Do you think you could send me a picture of your partitions when it is convenient?

Comment

Congrats on the MariStar, the LTR is a great motor! This forum is super helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by flyski View Post
                              Thank you! Do you think you could send me a picture of your partitions when it is convenient?
                              Doh, just returned from working on the boat. I’ll get some pics next trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X