Lake Powell beaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Powell beaches

Hi everyone. Heading to houseboat at Lake Powell in August and starting to plan our route out of Wahweap. It has been 10 years since we have taken a houseboat out there (hiatus taken due to kids) so wondering where we should be heading. Give me all of your favorite spots to spend a few nights!

I hope you have a great time. I also hope the water comes up and the Rockies get some more moisture this spring/summer. Curious what everyone says as I'm interested in the Powell trip at some point.

Comment

The three side canyons off of Padre Bay have lots of Sandy beaches - especially at these low water levels. Some good spots to be had in Gunsight as well. If you want to venture further up-lake then Last Chance canyon can be a great place to park - not many sandy beaches in there though. Be aware that the NPS has started ticketing if you choose to drill anchors into the sandstone.

Comment

Also, be prepared for the long, choppy drive around Antelope Island as the Castle Rock cut-through will not be open this year due to low water.

Comment

OP - did Antelope Point Marina exist the last time you were there? As SkySkiGuy mentioned, the low water level this year will require Wahweap boaters to drive around Antelope Island. This is hardly a care free route and I would encourage you to keep tabs on the situation as your departure date approaches.

As for beaches, they come and go with the water level and this year will expose areas that have been under water for a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice - make sure you have your parking spot for the houseboat by noon or you may be SOL. The further south on the lake you are, the harder a beach is to find.

We sent the mastercraft out at least an hour ahead to claim our spot for the night.
            The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...other-changes/

Comment

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
                My advice - make sure you have your parking spot for the houseboat by noon or you may be SOL. The further south on the lake you are, the harder a beach is to find.

We sent the mastercraft out at least an hour ahead to claim our spot for the night.

We’ve even built in a “scouting day” to our schedule and go out the day before our houseboat rental begins and “secured” our spot. A few tents, chairs and some landscaping is usually enough. We’ll hang out there through the end of the day and then head back to the marina.
                We always make a point of meeting our neighbors and letting them know we’ll be back in the morning offering to bring them any needed supplies. This makes the ride out in the houseboat the next so much more relaxing.

Comment

Im guessing it will be a **** show down there this summer if the water levels dont change. Everyone fighting for the same spots.
                  Not having the cut thru ads how much time to get into Padre Bay?

Comment

Originally posted by kslakelife View Post
                    Im guessing it will be a **** show down there this summer if the water levels dont change. Everyone fighting for the same spots.
                    Not having the cut thru ads how much time to get into Padre Bay?
                    In a houseboat? An hour +. Especially if your not the first boat through the channel in the morning. Once it starts getting boat traffic it’s awful!

Oh....... and don’t forget to bring footwear for the beaches - the mussels can cause some nice cuts. Actually, they haven’t affected the beaches too badly - it’s the rock surfaces that are getting destroyed by the mussels.

Comment

It does not look to be a good year for Powell water levels

https://www.ksl.com/article/50150317...-other-changes
                      2005 X45
                      2009 X45
                      2018 X46
                      2022 XStar-S

Comment

Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
                        Also, be prepared for the long, choppy drive around Antelope Island as the Castle Rock cut-through will not be open this year due to low water.
                        Powellheads on Instagram posted a video of a alternate route that most may not know. I think it was for this area. Defiantly a great reference for Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
                          Powellheads on Instagram posted a video of a alternate route that most may not know. I think it was for this area. Defiantly a great reference for Powell.
                          I’m not on Instagram so not sure what that’s all about - but I am positive that without the Cut there is no alternative for heading up lake from Wahweap other than the main channel, past Antelope Point.
                          Last edited by Skyskiguy; 04-20-2021, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Lake Powell beaches

Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post

I don’t know Tookey, unless I missed something super secret, the “alternate route” is motoring down to the dam to pick up the natural path of the Colorado River. It’s going to be a train wreck of inexperienced boaters in a free for all to get through.

Comment

This will be the bottleneck - where the water that formed Wahweap Bay meets the Colorado River. The water has probably gone down 30’ since this image was taken and the rocks I circled will be much bigger.

I took a 36’ rental HB through there in 2012 and it scared the hell out of me. Now imagine a dozen 75’ houseboats with first time captains trying to come through getting pushed around by the wind and the waves rolling off the G25 Paragon that just went by at 9 mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X